Notices

Trying again

Old 09-08-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying again

First post. I'm 40 and have been a drinker since i was 18. It's gotten bad over the last few years. Blackouts, cheap vodka, a dui. Right now it's been 24 hours and I feel awful. I've also reAlized how I've lied to so many people and hurt them along the way.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stay hydrated- I recommend Pedialyte (childs re hydration drink for sick kids)- drink two bottles of that a day for a week or so. It will help you through the dehydration part.

Otherwise eat good food, get outside for a bit each day. Dont lay around in bed if you can help it.

welcome, Im sure you will find some help here. Stay positive, the rough times will pass. Try and develop a plan for when the urge to drink hits. What will you do instead?
Old 09-08-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Alcohol withdrawal is no fun, and can be dangerous. See your doctor if you feel really bad.

I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR SufferingDad. And congratulations on your decision to get sober, you won't regret it. Withdrawals suck no matter how you slice it, but they do not last forever. They can be dangerous at times too so don't be afraid to seek local help if you feel things are getting too bad or out of control.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR SufferingDad
Old 09-08-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Sufferingdad. You've come across a community that has helped change the lives of many; me included.

Like the other's have said, withdrawals can be dangerous. See your doctor if you feel the need.

That being said, you can do this. Trust me, you won't regret the decision to quit drinking. It is going to take a lot of hard work, but it's worth every ounce of effort you will put in.

I progressed from all types of alcohol. When I was drinking so much I couldn't afford it, I went to cheap vodka; 1.75L every other day. When I was diagnosed with Fatty Liver Disease, I cut out the hard liquor and went to just beer and wine. When I was up to a case of beer a day or a 3L box of wine a day, I knew it was time to quit. My body couldn't take it any more, my family couldn't take it any more.

Doesn't really matter how much or what type you drink... if it's a problem then it's a problem. Simple as that.

You'll be happy you quit. Lean on us as much as you need to get through this.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! It will get easier
Old 09-08-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Eat clean and healthy, drink tons of water, multi vit., excercise, sleep, sleep...

You are healing..you will feel weak...takes a couple of weeks. Then the anxiety and the cravings...

Don't relapse...It gets worse each time...

...read, learn, post...
Old 09-08-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Linked w permission AAWS Inc.

Alcoholics Anonymous : Alcoholics Anonymous

Bills Story....pg 13, Para 2.

It worked for him...
Old 09-08-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you've joined us - welcome!
Acceptance, willingness and desire to change are the keys. The first step is to not drink and gain some time. Let your mind, body and soul begin to heal........

We all started where you are friend - you're not alone
Old 09-08-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hi sufferingdad, do you have someone that can stay with you? The first 72 hrs can be a challenge. The worst thing you can do is drink, it will prolong the misery. Stay strong, thinking about you. You can do it.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you

For the kind words and welcome.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you, Sufferingdad. Believe me, I know just how you feel. (I drank for 30 yrs.) That's the good thing about SR - you're among friends who understand - the way the normal drinkers in our life can't. You're never alone.

No one sets out to cause themselves pain and misery. I drank because it helped me feel more comfortable. I was very anxious & self-conscious. Ironically, once I was dependent on alcohol my anxiety was through the roof. I sabotaged myself in every possible way.

Try not to focus on negative emotions. I understand the feelings of regret - but you need to use your energy to get well and heal. I know you feel awful right now, but that's to be expected in the beginning. Things will change and you will begin to feel so much better. You'll be free.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! Today can be a new start. An opportunity, each day, to make right what you feel is wrong. Yes, withdrawals suck but they are finite. You can also visit your Dr. and probably receive help with medical detox. Much safer and more comfortable for sure. I try to look at the symptoms of detox as my body ridding itself of the awful poison. Hang in there.