Notices

Free ebook - it's working for me...

Old 09-08-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Free ebook - it's working for me...

...so far. But it's early days.

It's called 'How to stop or control your drinking habit in 30 minutes' .

It's short and I think it's better for people who are in the early days and are trying to get a run of sober days together. Might not be useful if you have been sober long term.

I found it on Amazon a few days ago.

Reply if you find it helps.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just finished the ebook and I don't think it would have worked for me. I do like his take on habit vs addiction though.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Heh. It probably helps if you're money driven. Like me

Not that I have any. That's why I'm looking for free ebooks

Still. I'm on day 5 without a drink using his idea, and that includes a Friday, which is the first Friday in a long while.

Like everybody else, taking it one day at a time.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So, I'm 1 day sober after reading this book.

I like the technique involved.

It's difficult to get involved with AA I think from my perspective. I'm a science person, and don't necessarily ascribe to a higher power. It would be great if there was a secular version of AA (does anyone know if there is one? Or can AA work without s higher power?)

Anyway.

Going for two days sober tomorrow.

Wish me luck.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck.

I started Thursday and am still going strong.

No hangovers at work this week!
Old 09-09-2015, 11:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Originally Posted by Johnathanb View Post

It's difficult to get involved with AA I think from my perspective. I'm a science person, and don't necessarily ascribe to a higher power. It would be great if there was a secular version of AA (does anyone know if there is one? Or can AA work without s higher power?)
Try LifeRing, SMART Recovery or Women for Sobriety (if you are a woman). All of these avoid the higher power/helplessness dogma. Good luck!
Old 09-11-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the feedback, Fluffer.

I'll look into lifering and SMART recovery over the weekend and see what they have to offer.

Has anyone else had success with these two? Is there a charge?

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Johnathanb View Post
Johnathan, I am a spiritual but non-religious person, so I tried a website that is the antithesis of AA (which I've tried before but doesn't work for me). Reading it and doing the free crash course got me motivated to quit, and now I'm on day three of NEVER drinking again. It's not an option. I am more determined than I've ever been, and been through this drinking/sobriety cycle a few times. It's on the Rational Recovery website called AVRT (Alcoholic Voice Recognition Technique). It resonated to me and is completely non-religious based. It's more about your own inner strength and the ability to recognize the Alcoholic Voice that tries to control your actions and how to overcome it. Thought I'd throw it out there as something you might want to check out... Good luck!
Old 09-13-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've looked through the AVRT material and it looks interesting.*

I can see it combing well with Bleck's 'Stop your Drinking Habit in 30 minutes' method.*

AVRT talks about recognising the voice of 'The Beast', which represents your addictive voice. The Beast is effectively your emotions. Bleck talks about emotional withdrawal symptoms leading to us playing mental mind games - this is the same as The Beast (withdrawal) and his voice (mental mind games) of AVRT.*

For me, John Bleck's notion that addressing the emotions (The Beast) directly, is sound. He cleverly installs a bigger emotional motivation in our minds. When we have 2 conflicting emotions at once, we always go with the biggest emotion. However, Bleck's method, while it does not prohibit it, does not require complete abstinence. AVRT does require abstinence.*

I am going to try combining the two methods at once (they seem to be compatible with each other). If Bleck's method fails at the emotional level at any given moment, I will attempt to recognise that The Beast is winning that small battle. Hopefully this awareness will get me past the craving.*

Links to the two methods:

AVRT:

Rational Recovery | The Crash Course On AVRT

John Bleck:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014MT5P2W