Notices

When is enough enough?

Old 09-07-2015, 05:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy When is enough enough?

I'm new to alanon and I need help. I'm not married to my a but we have been together almost 3 years. This may he used heroin again and ended in the er. He started aa for the first time and his drug and alcohol addictions have become the center of his life. I travel for work and have minimum energy for the drama of our lives. I recognize that my life is unmanageable from drug and alcohol use with ppl I have dated in the last and my current relationship. Right now I'm wondering: when is enough enough? I'm not confiden in who he is and I'm not sure so do know him. I think I want to break up, take a break, reset- but is that running away? Or simply facing reality? I'm desperate
Old 09-07-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

I suggest going to the forum on this site called Friends and Families and also attending Al Anon meetings in your area.
The hows and whys are better handled there because of their long experience in dealing with us addicted people who do not have a reputation of golden honesty and following through in many cases.

BE WELL
Old 09-07-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi East side, welcome to Soberrecovery

Your question is not an easy one to answer definatively but IOAA2 is right in suggesting visiting the Friends and Family thread for ideas

What I took from your post is that you want to quit alcohol but that you have a partner who drinks/uses

I would suggest that if it is possible I would seperate from your partner temporarily in order to give yourself the best chance of quitting (after all you do have a duty to yourself as well as others) I appreciate that isn't an easy thing but it would be good for you and maybe it would encourage your partner to change too
Old 09-07-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. It might be good for you to have some time to yourself.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I hope that you find some answers.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Eastsidehelp: It's not clear from your post whether you also have an alcohol or other addiction or whether the problem is your companion's or both. It's not running away to take a breather, separate for awhile and go to Alanon meetings and look at the Friends and Families forum on this website as IOAA2 suggests. You may not either of you get well if you try to hang together. An interesting movie to watch is "When A Man Loves a Woman". All about codependency. Good luck.

W.