SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Spreading my Wings (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/375068-spreading-my-wings.html)

stevieg46 09-06-2015 12:06 PM

Spreading my Wings

Hi .
I my name is Stevie and I am a recovering alcoholic ,I am 9 yrs sober my sobriety date is 12th march 2006 , Stopping drinking is easy ,staying stopped is a lot harder and in my opinion is what must be strived for and is achievable if you learn how to handle sobriety and how to live without alcohol .

People invent many excuses for lifting a drink which is really rationalizing and justifying their action , an excuse is an attempt to find a reason when there is none . I have had over the past 9 years events which are tragic ,heartbreaking ,soul destroying and devastating ,sure there where times I felt like lifting a drink but at the end of the day what I was wanting was oblivion ,yes I wanted to block out the events that were happening to me , reality was it would not have changed anything I would still have to face up to reality and realise that a drink was not the answer .

Every single time I have been faced with upsetting events and not lifted a drink ! has actually strengthened my sobriety , when I stopped drinking I was left with myself and I was not a very nice person ,I was still a liar /cheat / thief / dishonest / unfaithful / abusive/far to many character defects to mention .

Sobriety is about change if I do not change from the man who first stopped drinking ! then I will drink again , sobriety to me was about change it is an inside job ,I had to start living my life with a new outlook and unlearn most of the values and standards that I had held before ,not easy but do-able , it takes time but is so worthwhile , self respect comes through time and respect from others takes longer .

I have made many many mistakes since I first tried to get sober , 20 years at one time and drank again ,simply put I never changed in any way ok I was not drinking ,but I was like a dog without its bone very unhappy most of the time and behaved in the same way I did whilst drinking ,only thing missing was booze .

I learned from that ,only thing you can do about the past is learn from it , sobriety is the most important thing in my life and I absolutely love being sober , hope to meet new friends on here and look forward to it .
Stevie

IOAA2 09-06-2015 12:18 PM

Hi and welcome.

"I have made many many mistakes since I first tried to get sober , 20 years at one time and drank again ,simply put I never changed in any way ok I was not drinking ,but I was like a dog without its bone very unhappy most of the time and behaved in the same way I did whilst drinking ,only thing missing was booze ."

Your statement is what I’ve called a dry drunk for many years which some don’t like, whatever, we are sober today.
Acting and reacting like when we were drinking to me is not a good comfortable sobriety.

We learn that work and change is required to progress in a healthy manner which leads to a feeling of being comfortable in our own skin. Half measures avail us nothing.

KEEP COMING AND BE WELL

Mags1 09-06-2015 12:30 PM

Hiya Stevie, welcome to sr and congratulations on your 9 years and more sober time.

I was similar to you as in not liking myself and learning to live without the booze. You will probably find most of us here had to learn recovery.

I found this site a lifeline and informative, most people here had experienced or experiencing similar to myself. I could relate and learnt some valuable tools to aid in my recovery.

Soberwolf 09-06-2015 01:32 PM

Welcome Stevie nice to meet you

Dee74 09-06-2015 03:49 PM

Welcome Stevie - congrats on your recovery :)

D

brynn 09-06-2015 04:03 PM

Hi Stevie and well done on 9 years! :)

PurpleKnight 09-10-2015 10:04 AM

Welcome to the Forum Stevie!! :wave:

Ruby2 09-10-2015 11:06 AM

Welcome to SR Stevie. I had to change a whole lot along the way to stay sober. I'm still learning and growing. Good to have you here.

CaseyW 09-10-2015 12:31 PM

Welcome to SR, stevieg46. I'm so glad you've decided to share your recovery with us!

FreeOwl 09-10-2015 12:34 PM

welcome!!!

and thank you for your post... it's powerful and a great reminder of many important things.

:)

Fly N Buy 09-10-2015 07:52 PM

Well stated, thanks for sharing - your experience is of great value and very helpful.......

Thanks!