Notices

Handling social events

Old 09-05-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Handling social events

So as this 3 day weekend is upon us it crossed my mind about the social events taking place this weekend. I obviously live in a city where the liquor pours 24/7. In the past my wife and I would attend events on the weekends where everyone was drinking. We used to drink at home just the 2 of us and watch movies. I can admit those were fun times. Going out and just hanging out with friends, and doing what people do when hanging out in Vegas especially if we had friends visiting.

Since I decided to be sober and live the sober life my wife has been on my team. She doesn't want to drink around me, and says it's to early for us to go out since I'm still new in my sobriety. I agree 100%. I expect one day to get to the point where being around alcohol doesn't bother me or is a trigger for me. Since my last slip last week I've been back on track and determined to defeat this disease. I want to get my life back on track since alcohol has done enough damage to my life. I don't want to go back. I mean the pain it has caused me is ridiculous. I had to write a letter to alcohol during my first week of IOP. I read it everyday as a reminder.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well I scaled my social events right back.
Nothing was more important than staying sober, y'know?

I think it's a good move for anyone new to recovery, or struggling

Later on down the track, when you build some of those sober muscles you'll find social events a lot easier.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took a long time for me to feel comfortable around alcohol. You're doing the right thing by being cautious and planning ahead.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

IOP?

I quit five years ago, drinking and smoking together with one week of in hospital detox. I have a wife who still drinks and smokes around me and keeps both in the house as before. I quit for me and in my case, I have not looked back. I think the key is that I made a statement like yours above before I quit. I spent the last year or two waking up shaking, and having to start drinking on waking or get even worse. I wanted to quit so badly but needed a jump start.

I hope you stop feeling deprived and be proud you survived. Yes, if you stay sober in a six months a lot of the attraction will go away. But I am still healing at five years. And life is nice again.

What are you doing besides here for support? I had my docs, both VA and private, read in on my alcoholism and testing me as well as supporting me as friends. In addition my family and friends were adding their moral support. I used AA for local F2F support and that was great!

Good luck on your journey. Do it your way. (If it works, if not add more methods) I also had counseling and here as my only alcohol support for the last 4.5 years.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

IOP = Intensive Outpatient Program

So I'm doing a 60 day stint of treatment 3 days a week. I haven't started going to AA yet but the plan is to get with one of the guys in the program and tag along with him as he is deep into AA.

Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
IOP?

What are you doing besides here for support? I had my docs, both VA and private, read in on my alcoholism and testing me as well as supporting me as friends. In addition my family and friends were adding their moral support. I used AA for local F2F support and that was great!

Good luck on your journey. Do it your way. (If it works, if not add more methods) I also had counseling and here as my only alcohol support for the last 4.5 years.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck & best wishes for IOP