Notices

Backsliding

Old 09-05-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Backsliding

I had been doing so well over the past several months not drinking, but I had some work stress that I wanted to blow over and I decided to meet a friend at a bar. I had 4 beers and a shot of whiskey over the course of 5 hours, but since I stopped drinking my body just isn't used to it now. I'm in my bed trying to recover from my first hangover in a year.

I feel crappy for drinking, but it was a real bad day at work. What are some alternative ways to blow off steam in this situation?
Old 09-05-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Punching bag at the gym.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me, going crazy on the cardio machines at the gym I go to has saved me many times from drinking after a bad day. It's also a great distraction. John
Old 09-05-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

These are some of the things I've tried: working out, writing about it, talking to someone about it, doing a chore or even better, something I enjoy, eating a favourite food, and I'll even have a good cry to let the frustration out.

Ultimately, I'm learning that changing the way I think about or view situations can prevent much of my stress in the first place. My recovery program and spiritual beliefs help a lot with that part of it. When I was still working I didn't rely on those things and I hated my job and was extremely stressed out a lot of the time because of it.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Something spiritual, which reminds you to put your small life into context.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

All good suggestions above

One of if not the most important tool in early sobriety/sobriety is reaching out when urges or cravings happen

This is your life and by reaching out youl save yourself a lot of heartache & headaches
Old 09-05-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I say let this slip up be the last reminder that drinking will never alleviate stress but only add to it. Any sort of physical activity is a great alternative. Just pick something out of hundreds of things you think you'd enjoy. Boxing, swimming, hiking, rock climbing, biking ect. It always works for me. Or come on to SR and vent out your frustrations. For me just the act of writing it out helps a lot and you will find more than a few on here who completely understand what you're going through.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there
I'm sorry you're feeling lowsy but you're here posting so that is good. This can be a small relapse if you stop today.

When I'm in the moment like that, feeling tense and ready to pop, I probably won't call someone, or get quiet and meditate (although I'm hoping to reach that at some point) I need release of some kind. Something to get the endorphans pumping, dopamine receptors active....since that's what booze does. So running or yoga, preferrably hot cause its strenuous. This will give me the physical and neurological release I need. THEN I can think. Eat something, call someone, write, meditate.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. Your suggestions have been helpful. I have the rest of the weekend to work out my stress.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Go at things again and you'll get there!!

For me it was important to come up with new ways to deal with the stress at work, because it's pretty inevitable that there is going to be another day when you feel exactly the same, so what are you then going to do differently?

New tools in the Sobriety toolbox are required, but work on them now beforehand in preparation!!
Old 09-05-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exercise works better for me than booze ever did jtf.

There are some more ideas here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...44-stress.html

D
Old 09-05-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are lots of good suggestions here, so hopefully next time you can be prepared.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me going out on a walk, or writing has been a big help for me. Changing my scenery for a few minutes and getting some fresh air has helped me. Also, going on youtube has worked. I have a particular fondness for basset hounds so I look at videos of bassets for a few minutes. Coming to SR before I drink and I have come close has kept me from taking that first sip.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had to take drinking off the table completely as a stress reliever, no matter how bad my day was, is or may be. I know I'll have bad days. If I'm having one, and I've had a bunch of them recently, here's what I've done:
-this too shall pass. Bad situations generally don't last forever;
-serenity prayer. Accept what I can't change and change what I can;
-do something for someone else, unselfishly, to get myself out of my own head;
-gratitude list-good for when I'm hating work. At least I have a job that I mostly enjoy;
-doing chores around the house to keep busy;
Vent, vent, vent. On here, to myself in my car, to my friends in real life. Primarily those who are also in recovery.

When I think alcohol will help relieve stress, I'm only limiting my own imagination. I'm not going to feel physically better and mentally I'll be beat up.

I hope you feel better and enjoy your weekend. There's so much support here. Be well
Old 09-05-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A good nights's sleep. Nothing resets the clock after a bad day like a good night's sleep.

The exercise suggestion is one I'd take to heart as well. Best stress reliever out there. Combine it with my above suggestion- it works!
Old 09-06-2015, 11:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Whenever I feel bad, I sit down and make a list of positive things to do and then I start working down the list until I feel better. Things on it may include:

-Eating a snack or meal and drinking a glass of water. This one is important as being hungry makes it so hard to handle stress.
-calling or texting a recovery friend
-posting on sr
-going to a meeting
-going to yoga or doing a YouTube yoga class
-going on a walk
-journaling
-doing chores
-reading a recovery related book
-engaging in my preferred hobbies
-take a hot shower or a bath
Old 09-07-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Learning or playing an instrument (in my case the guitar) is a big one. It uses a whole different part of your brain, is creative and fun. Maybe even write a song about whatever it is that's causing your stress (doesn't have to be any good, you're the only one who needs to hear it). Could be a way to look at things from a new angle.

And another vote for long walks, with headphones on playing your favourite music. I've worked through a lot of problems, work or otherwise, that way. They never seem as bad by the time I get home.