SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Mad cravings in an AA meeting :O (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/374963-mad-cravings-aa-meeting-o.html)

Carver 09-04-2015 03:35 PM

Mad cravings in an AA meeting :O

Well I went to my second AA meeting this evening, and a veteran was sharing. As he started talking about alcohol, I started thinking about how nice a drink would be.

By the time he was halfway through his share, I'd planned my route home to include a stop at a supermarket to get some JD. This was the strongest craving I've had so far, it consumed my entire being for twenty minutes. It didn't help when another member shared and proudly announced that he'd drank and used drugs all through the week, and that he didn't feel bad at all. Even saying that his higher power was pleased about it, haha.

Thankfully, I fought back, and I'm glad I did, so glad. Sitting in bed with a glass of water and a book, and genuinely happy that I'm still sober.

Odd that AA could be such a strong trigger. AV can kiss my arse.

Oh, and I got my two month chip :D

Axiom 09-04-2015 03:52 PM

Way to go Carver!!

Show that dirty AV whose boss! Glad you mad it through the craving and now you know that they might rise n AA as well and can be better prepared for it next time.

Congratulations on two months also!

Dee74 09-04-2015 04:00 PM

I dunno about you but I usually drank when I was nervous or uncomfortable so it makes perfect sense to me you might feel that way in an AA meeting :)

I'm glad you fought back too :)

D

Carver 09-04-2015 04:27 PM

Thanks guys!

Yeah that's a good point Dee. I'm definitely out of my comfort zone with all these strangers :D

PurpleKnight 09-04-2015 05:29 PM

Great job on pushing through Carver!! :scoregood

Yazzylove 09-04-2015 07:29 PM

You rock Carver!! Way to go for not going to the store!!

sugarbear1 09-04-2015 11:40 PM

That would be a great time to reach out to others and get phone numbers, chat a bit, hang out together after the meeting.....get some in person support!

Soberwolf 09-05-2015 02:11 AM

You didn't drink Carver you done great

IOAA2 09-05-2015 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Carver (Post 5543228)
Thanks guys!

Yeah that's a good point Dee. I'm definitely out of my comfort zone with all these strangers :D

Hi.
They are strangers we haven’t made friends with yet. For me it’s comforting to be among people who understand and want to help each other.

BE WELL

Carver 09-05-2015 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by IOAA2 (Post 5543876)
Hi.
They are strangers we haven’t made friends with yet. For me it’s comforting to be among people who understand and want to help each other.

BE WELL

You're right, IOAA2, and they're a fantastic bunch of people. The more I go, the more comfortable I'll feel :)

thomas11 09-05-2015 05:45 AM

Way to stay strong Carver. You should feel proud of yourself. That bottle of JD could have turned things very badly in a hurry. Keep it going eah?

sg1970 09-05-2015 07:34 AM

Great job on two months. I had a couple of those moments at meetings as well at right around the 2 month mark. It was the first time I remember actually salivating when thinking about alcohol. WTF??? At some point you will realize it starts getting better/easier every day.

Bird615 09-05-2015 08:36 AM

Way to go, Carver!
:You_Rock_

CaseyW 09-05-2015 08:45 AM

Congrats on two months and on continuing to build on your recovery plan, Carver.

fantail 09-05-2015 10:20 PM

I relate! I first tried AA a couple years ago and I always left feeling depressed, isolated, and craving big time because of the first two things. But this time around I was in a program that made me do AA, and I got to see that there are specific meetings that make me want to give up... and others that give me strength.

I'm also at 54 days and I've been having a rough go of it since Wed. Tonight I had my first real legit craving since quitting. Seems like it's fairly common to have a tough stretch around the 60 day mark. Great job staying strong!

adelina123 09-06-2015 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Carver (Post 5543115)
Well I went to my second AA meeting this evening, and a veteran was sharing. As he started talking about alcohol, I started thinking about how nice a drink would be.

By the time he was halfway through his share, I'd planned my route home to include a stop at a supermarket to get some JD. This was the strongest craving I've had so far, it consumed my entire being for twenty minutes. It didn't help when another member shared and proudly announced that he'd drank and used drugs all through the week, and that he didn't feel bad at all. Even saying that his higher power was pleased about it, haha.

Thankfully, I fought back, and I'm glad I did, so glad. Sitting in bed with a glass of water and a book, and genuinely happy that I'm still sober.

Odd that AA could be such a strong trigger. AV can kiss my arse.

Oh, and I got my two month chip :D

Just had to say that it did make me smile when you said about the guy who drank all week, was happy about it and so was his higher power .... thinks he's taking the p### don't you. I know someone that had to change meetings because the guys attending were sneaking off for drinks during cigarette break!!
Well done for not giving in ....

Soberwolf 09-06-2015 04:07 AM

Congrats Carver