Notices

Where do you get your ambition?

Old 09-04-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I nearly died, so every morning is like another win to me

I have a lot to drive me - helping others, being happy, making amends - I aim to live the way I should have done all those years

D
I live for all the things money can't buy. Love, family, friendship, giving of myself, knowledge, spirituality, making me a better person.

Enjoying to the fullest all the gifts I have been granted. For a very long time things were horribly dark because of the death of my daughter from cancer but I am starting to see again how blessed I am
Old 09-04-2015, 09:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am 25 and have no children but what makes me work hard is my dreams of making a difference in peoples lives. I just began college and I know i need to work hard in community college now to get accepted into a good university in the future. Money is not a main motivator but someday I would like to provide my family with the things we need. So basically I work hard today for a happy tomorrow. Its a long journey!
Old 09-04-2015, 11:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Great question, Troy, and I've really enjoyed reading everyone's answers :-)

Retread - if you are there, I couldn't help but notice your answer. You could start a thread about how you are feeling maybe? I hope you are okay...it kind of doesn't sound like it. (((hugs)))
Old 09-05-2015, 12:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upwardspiral View Post
To be honest the first thing that comes to mind is the simple knowledge that no-one else is going to take care of me. I love my independence so much I guess I'll work my fingers to the bone to afford it.
Yes, this is me too. I live on my own, single, no kids and I actually like it that way but it means I've got to be motivated myself....and I don't want to end up a broke, alcoholic in my 50 s and on....I want to enjoy my middle and later age and I can only do that by doing g things differently now I'm near 40. So that motivates me to study to try and improve my work situation and its a big motivator when I get the urge to drink..
Old 09-05-2015, 12:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Retread1959 View Post
The only ambition I have right now is to avoid pulling the trigger on any given day. Ask me the same question after I've sorted out a few things in my life and, hopefully, I will have a better answer.
If I can share only one thing it's that things get better.

I was so in alcohols hold that it took a few months after I stopped for the darkness it produced in me to dissipate.

The sun does shine again and you will find joy

D
Old 09-05-2015, 12:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I get it by being able to hold my own gaze in the mirror. I know when I'm kidding myself and when I need to pull it together and do a better job.

I don't like the alternative.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
Einstein said - "There are only two ways ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

One of the things that's helps me when I'm feeling low is I try and practice random acts of ridiculous kindness and senseless acts of beauty. Little do the recipients know that *I* feel like I benefit more than they do. It feels good to do good. It makes this experience on this little blue dot worthwhile and gives it meaning.

I was at work feeling blue and I looked around and saw a bunch of the guys that work for me smoking on their breaks.. I decided right at the moment to call a company wide meeting and offer everyone of them hypnosis to help them stop. And so as not to forget about the others who don't smoke, they all got gym memberships.

Damn, that felt good.

In an instant, I changed the trajectory of my day. And a few others in the interim.

I'm sure my accountant will have a hissy fit as sales are down and blah blah blah.

Who cares.

What if I were to die tomorrow ? Which would matter more ?

Can't take the money with me, but, I sure as hell can take the love.
You're awesome
Old 09-05-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Do your best

Exactly what D said
Old 09-05-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
I'm curious, where do you derive your ambition to continue pushing yourself forward in life? I know every mother / father in here will say their kids, which obviously is extremely noble and awesome. You want to provide your kids with the best life possible, right?

Aside from that though, what drives you? What motivates you? What makes you get out of bed every morning, and give life everything you've got?
I don't have kids so I can't say my kids. Its an excellent question. For me, I got out of bed each and every day because I took pride in myself and my work, I also had people who had wives and kids who depended on me to put food on the table and a roof over their heads. That's one helluva motivation right there. A sense of duty, if you will. I also know that for a few years I jumped out of bed because I knew at 5PM an ice cold stiff drink was waiting for me. That was pretty pathetic, but its the truth. I don't know why I will get out of after the month of October. I guess my initial thought is that necessity via a paycheck will drag me into the shower. Hopefully I will find a job I like and that will make getting out of bed each day easier. This may sound sexist, but as a man, we have a responsibility to be providers, to be the rock. My wife is my rock, and she handles the day to day stuff, but when it comes to the major sh*t, life changing stuff, she turns to me. I make those decisions. I make the decisions that don't come with an instruction manual. You just have to figure it out.

But to answer your question, at the end of the day it is personal pride. Good question Troy. What drives you?
Old 09-05-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peacehappyness View Post
Good post TroyW I'm struggling with motivation and purpose myself just now so it's been good reading people's responses. What motivates you Troy?
For today, James Blunt motivates me.

heh, sorry for the smart a$$ reply. I'll reply with a more serious post later.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Currently....
The desire to pull myself out of the hole a made being a drunk. I hated where I was, I don't particular enjoy where I am. But I know it doesn't have to be this way and I know it's going to take work.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
Great question, Troy, and I've really enjoyed reading everyone's answers :-)

Retread - if you are there, I couldn't help but notice your answer. You could start a thread about how you are feeling maybe? I hope you are okay...it kind of doesn't sound like it. (((hugs)))
Thanks; I think I might do that. I have been so up and down with depression, but that's really nothing new for me. When depressed, it's very hard to have ambition. I am working on some positive changes though, so it's not all bad. Don't want to hijack this thread, though.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
Currently....
The desire to pull myself out of the hole a made being a drunk. I hated where I was, I don't particular enjoy where I am. But I know it doesn't have to be this way and I know it's going to take work.
Yes, I feel the same way. We can do it, though.