Notices

Idle hands and sobriety

Old 09-03-2015, 10:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Idle hands and sobriety

So after tonight I completed my first week of treatment. It's been a real interesting week overall, but busy for the most part. I've been doing a lot of soul searching this week in between IOP and just everyday life. Yesterday(Wednesday) was tough. So I ended up slipping up. I've fought the urge to drink many days. I'm not sure why recently the urge was much more present than past days, but yesterday I ended up staying home from work as I woke up sick. I slept the morning away and answering work calls in between naps. The next thing I know I was at the gas station buying some tall cans. I know I messed up and I didn't drink today. I drank but didn't get drunk...but what's the difference I still drank. So I'm back to day 1. The weird thing is I'm not beating myself up like I normally would. I had free time on my hands and that is what I do with it. Idle hands equals trouble for me.

Anyhow I'm back on track and I had a good time in class tonight as we learned how to deal with stress relief and relaxation. Something I really need in my life.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad you made it bk have you thought of adding to your sober plan

ie no matter what reach out before you drink ?
Old 09-04-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Good you came back right away.
Even better if you've learned something.
Working at sobriety (or anything else) really hard and/or getting sick can both wear you down, leaving you more vulnerable. Time to be extra vigilant against your addiction trying to start enticing you.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and glad you are back as so many are not.

"Idle hands equals trouble for me."

I had several bad years of wishful thinking of stopping and thinking was not my strong suite. Very fortunately for me was I did continue going to meetings and bits and pieces of what I needed to hear. Eventually I got to the point of being sick and tired of being sick and tired and wanted to be sober. I started to listen to directions, I’m one of those who naturally believe that follow directions is admitting defeat! Believe me I was defeated by alcohol!

Fortunately there were some hard A$$ loving old timers who said sit up front, take the cotton out of my ears, put it in my mouth and just listen AND identify.

This early period I got very involved, fortunately, in the program and with work and meetings had very little idle time to ponder obsession which had quickly diminished fortunately.

A great piece of advice while listening is to concentrate my thinking on not drinking and where drinking led me and the progression of where drinking will lead.

BE WELL
Old 09-04-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear that you drank Getitright. Have you shared this with your IOP counselor to see if they have any suggestions for things you can change?

One thing that I did in early sobriety was to plan out my days very methodically, I literally made a calendar and planned out what I would be doing each hour of each day so that I didn't have idle time.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Did you talk to anyone to say you were having the urge to drink or did you keep it bottled up, allowing it to gain foothold?

When I felt urges, I called people. I texted them. I reached out. And the urges got so less powerful.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like you need to do a little more for your recovery man - or maybe use the support you have more effectively?

do you have any ideas on what else you might do?

D
Old 09-04-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How about posting BEFORE picking up that drink, come on SR, kill a few hours if you're looking for something to do!!

Support is only as good as when it is utilised!!
Old 09-04-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nah I didn't talk to anyone. It literally came out of nowhere on Wednesday. I fought the urge the previous days as they would come and go. I still remember what I was doing Wednesday when the urge came. I had to drop off some paperwork and had to get gas after. I walked in the gas station as I only had cash on me and then navigated my way to the energy drinks. Next thing I know I'm walking out with 2 tall cans.

Stupid!

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Did you talk to anyone to say you were having the urge to drink or did you keep it bottled up, allowing it to gain foothold?

When I felt urges, I called people. I texted them. I reached out. And the urges got so less powerful.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Actually yes I do have some ideas. One of the guys in my IOP sounds like he has a great sponsor, so I'm going to work with him on meeting him. He goes to a lot of meetings, although he is not an alcoholic. His thing was ambien, but I guess addiction is addiction right? He is really out going and I was planning on talking to him one on one after class or during our break and connect with him. Exchange numbers etc. I know I need some extra support and can't hash this out alone.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Sounds like you need to do a little more for your recovery man - or maybe use the support you have more effectively?

do you have any ideas on what else you might do?

D
Old 09-04-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yup, already in the works.

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Glad you made it bk have you thought of adding to your sober plan

ie no matter what reach out before you drink ?
Old 09-04-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear man

D