Notices

Flying while Drinking

Old 09-04-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

thanks, you know who you are... while in the shower I thought ...

too late my 15 minutes was up ...
Old 09-04-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
p***enger

Fear of flying can be very successfully treated with cognitive behavior therapy and other methods. I used to be quite afraid, and am not any more.

I don't think your alcoholism is much of a factor. I drank flying, and I took xanax flying, and I did both. Personally, I think it's the alcoholism in you that's telling you (and has told you in the past) that you can only fly drunk.

If you aren't 100% committed to maintaining your sobriety through flying and for the rest of the vacation, or 100% sure you'll *stay* 100% committed, I advise you to cancel it. Take a train somewhere nice. Your situation is not a good reason to drink, imo.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Trudgin

hmm, so a friend who is also one of us claims that some other drunks reserve the right to relapse?!? That has nothing to do with anyone "from" AA, just more jibberish from an alcoholic.

My experience is that regardless of what a friend tells me they did or heard what others do it doesn't make it correct. For me 100% total abstinence is the only way to tackle alcoholism. If I allow my brain to start making exceptions - or the nice way you phrased it - Reservations (ha!) it won't be long until I am making reservations to drink once a month, then twice, then on weekends.......blah, blah, blah.

I had to find a way to deal with life. Alcohol was my solution - not my problem. Until I dealt with my problems - regardless of what they may be - I am still in bondage.

Take a train, drive or walk - I would do this with no reservations what so ever......
Old 09-04-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

why not get creative on other modes of travel? why not plan trips that do not involve flying? OR why not get some good therapy that helps to deal with fear of flying and develop healthy tools to deal with it? you HAVE options.........
Old 09-04-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

talk to your Dr. I serve those drinks on the plane I see lots of people suffer from fear of flying. Alcohol affects people way different in the air. I would say talking with your Dr. you can find a better way.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

be a great thing to work the steps on.
imo youre not afraid of flying. your afraid of crashing. afraid of death. maybe just afraid of the timing of death.

get honest,get willing to go to any lengths and work the steps on it. start at step one as imo i read a lot of powerlessness and unmanagability, playing God........nothing thensteps cant help some with.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have never heard anything like that said in any AA meeting.
Personally, if I couldn't fly without drinking, then I wouldn't fly.

People have overcome this before, so it can be done, if you want it enough.

There are some great AA speaker recordings with the topic of overcoming fear.
This one (Charlie C) is great, and has helped me to adjust my perspective in lots of situations where fear was controlling me. Charlie C. Los Angeles CA. Step 4 Fear & Sex, Stateline Retreat , Primm ,Nevada 2006 - RecoveryAudio.org
Earl H (Hightower) is also very good (and he has overcome issues over flying as well).

Good luck.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

this is a pretty clever play by your AV.

you do recognize it's complete rubbish, right?
Old 09-10-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Ask your doctor for a mild sleep aid or get a non alcoholic over the counter one like tylenol pm, tell your AV to shut up that you don't drink no matter what and that's not negotiable then just sleep through the flight.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

You never need to be afraid of flying again. Please check out fear offline.com and the wonderful pilot Captain Tom Bunn. I used to get sweaty thinking about flying, have dreams about it, thought everything was an omen..etc. You can live again. The site is wonderful, lots of free resources, forums, etc. I cannot recommend it highly enough,