Notices

Here! Holiday weekender Sept 4th until...

Old 09-06-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Hot as heck here.
Rain=frogs
Sushi=volcano roll
Go, MLD!
What's Target?
Just kidding.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Happy BIRTHDAY Soberclover!
Old 09-06-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Happy Birthday Soberclover

According to my older sister there is a garden centre on the A12 road that has its Christmas decorations up. Come on, seriously?.

I should feel hungry but I don't, maybe an avocado and peach salad will be enough. I am planning to vegetate in front of the TV tonight (well, there wasn't much planning really)

Please accept my apologies for being a boring old fart
Old 09-06-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Living in the PNW has its rewards and challenges.

MLD, one of those is being outside in this age of cell phones. I always have a ziplock bag with me wherever I go - or a waterproof garment. It's not like I even use my phone that much; I'm pretty sure it doesn't need to go on every walk. I'm of an age where I spent decades not attached to a phone. It is handy, though.

I have a pretty substantial headache today and none of the regular remedies have worked. Do not likey.

I am very grateful that I have a warm house and TV and all the food I will need to make it through today. The heat has kicked on, too. Mmmm. Fall.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I had to Google Target Stores Lunar.

My nearest Target store is in Cedar Rapids apparently (dunno where that is).

I'm already bored with the telly
Old 09-06-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I think your Target store finder is on the fritz, Sao. Cedar Rapids is in Iowa. Hardly your closest store.

Yeah a ziplock is a great idea. I don't usually hike when it's about to rain, but the radar did me wrong today. I only take my phone with in case I fall down, or if I see something picture-worthy.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I can't imagine a world without Target.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hope your headaches better soon, Bimini
Old 09-06-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Sashimi for lunch. I'm grateful I have a place 10 miles from my house that does this:

image-4135314669.jpg
Old 09-06-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Postcard Intermission:

I received this postcard a couple of weeks ago. Sent by Ruby when she was on vacation. It looks like a lovely place. Wish I was there! All green and mossy. Beautiful.

Thank you Ruby!!!!
Old 09-06-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

That is beautiful. I love places like that.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Hi all, just a quick check in. Doing fine, will catch up later!
Old 09-06-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You're right Olive that does look nice - it has a Middle Earth look about it

I checked again MLD - it's still coming up Cedar Rapids - the north side one is a kilometer closer than the south side one

Iowa is slap bang in the middle isn't it. What sort of thing do they do in Iowa?
Old 09-06-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Answering my own question it looks like Iowans grow stuff. Des Monies, I never heard of that. Courtesy of Mr Wiki I now know a little bit about Iowa
Old 09-06-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Yep - Iowans grow stuff. My great-grandparents were from there and I still have some family there mostly pretty old folks now. We used to go visit when I was a kid. Pretty much cornfields as far as you can see. But Iowa does have some pretty scenery along the Mississippi River and the people are down-to -earth and nice. Not an exciting place, but not every place can be.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Pretty postcard!

Hi saoirse!
Old 09-06-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey ho!!!

Tomato basil creme sauce.... Over thin chicken breasts. Fresh pasta. Mmmmmmmm

Tired from the beach. Thank you for being here. Enjoyed reading all of the goings on.

Yet another day off!!!!

TV time.

K
Old 09-06-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

It's nice to read all your posts.

This weekend was my sister's 40th. Her (soon to be ex) husband sent her flowers. As she put them in a vase she smiled and said they were lovely and "he was always so sweet". My parents and I looked at each other alarmed. I guess she noticed because she said "don't worry, I am not going back to him". My dad said to me later "your poor sister. That's probably how he hooked her in the first place, with cheap flowers". (Her husband is not from this country.)

My brother called from the States and my mom was so happy, like a young girl waiting for a call from her prom date (and my brother calls with about as much regularity!!) She did tell him that I may be over later in the year and he said great.

My dad brought me for a driving lesson. I am still shocked by how many pedestrians just sail out in the middle of the road without looking. One time I really had to brake sharply. I got such a fright I had to pull over to calm down. My dad said don't let it put you off. That woman clearly had issues from the way she was walking and the way she was dressed". Another girl was on her phone and didn't look left or right. Also my dad is really strict about me sticking to within the speed limit. He says it is not a target!! Though I have this sense that I am speeding when I am actually holding up traffic and then everyone passes me out. Oh well.

My dad and I went for a walk this afternoon while the All Ireland hurling final was on. It was a mixed day for Galway with the seniors coming up short and the minors putting in a brilliant showing to win the All Ireland.

We went to Ballinrobe and stumbled across the ruins of the barracks. Since the gates were locked, and being the criminal masterminds that we are , my dad and I decided to jump over the gates. It was so cool!
Ballinrobe (Irish: Baile an Róba, meaning "town of the (river) Robe") is a town in County Mayo in Ireland. It is located on the River Robe, which empties into Lough Mask two kilometres to the west.
Lord Tyrawley of Ballinrobe sold his castle to the War Office in 1821 who then built the barracks. There are barracks for cavalry and infantry; the former adapted to the accommodation of 8 officers and 106 non-commissioned officers and privates, with stabling for 84 horses; the latter for 6 officers and 96 non-commissioned officers and men, with an hospital for 20 patients.The bridge was called the Military Bridge. It was built by the English to link the Infantry and Cavalry Barracks.
Ballinrobe was a garrison town for many years. The armed forces stationed in Ballinrobe gave an important monetary boost to the town until their withdrawal in 1926.

So today I took a walk on the wild side and developed a taste for it. I may have to do it again

I was trying to post a picture of the barracks but it keeps saying that the file is too large, so here is the game instead
Attached Images
Old 09-06-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

It is almost midnight now and I can't sleep.

Tonight we had smoked salmon and salad in the evening. My Grandmother loved a smoked salmon sandwich for her supper in her later years. I miss her.

Dublin next weekend! Should be fun.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Sounds like a nice weekend, tetra.
I miss my grandmother too, but I know she is watching over me and so proud I've turned my life around. I know yours is, too. Rest in the knowledge that She loved you very much.