Notices

Pregnant!!!

Old 09-02-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pregnant!!!

Hi I'm a 25 year old woman pregnant with my 4th child at 29 weeks. I never drank in my last 3 pregnancies but after my 3rd was born I got post natal depression and coped by drinking a bottle of wine and cider a night. I'm severly depressed and have been on medication since I was 17 after a suicide attempt. In pregnancies my depression gets worse until the baby is born. I never planned to have a 4th as I was on the pill, which obviously failed. I stopped drinking up until 20 weeks and then I started again!! I've become more depressed, so feel that a bottle of wine once a week will help. I try and stop myself but I have NO willpower!! I have to have regular scans because of my medication and everything seems fine but I can't bring myself to tell any medical professional because I know they will take the baby!! I don't know how to stop because even though I have the father to my children with me I feel so alone. I keep telling myself each week that that will be the last time, but it never is please don't judge me. I just didn't know where else to turn!!! Thank you
Old 09-02-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Kfb I'm glad you found us

Congratulations
Old 09-02-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((hugs))) kfb. You have a full plate, just 25 and 4th child on the way.
It's good you have the father of your children with you. Is there anyway that you can get yourself checked into a rehab?

Besides the damage you might be doing to your unborn child, and yourself, there is a chance that DCF will be called in to intervene when the baby is born and that can lead to many hardships also.

You know you have a problem and that is a plus in your favor. Please seek help and don't try and do this on your own.

Keep us updated

sending you love
Old 09-02-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not judging you, but please know this is not about you.

It's about your unborn child.

Please talk to your dr asap and get help. This is our sticky in the Women's Forum:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-syndrome.html
Old 09-02-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome KFB. Willpower will most likely not be enough to get you through this, most of us couldn't do it alone either. As much as you'd like to keep this a secret somehow you absolutely have to tell your doctor as it's not just about you anymore. Have you considered seeking help via AA or a drug/alcohol counselor as well? There are most likely also resources for women in your area that you could fine. But the bottom line is it has to start with honesty - with yourself and your doctor. If you think the consequences of telling your doctor are scary, imagine the consequences if you don't tell anyone and continue to drink through the pregnancy and cause harm to your child.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Kfb!!

Willpower never got me far, the reason being it was an addiction I was battling and in isolation I needed something more, something outside of myself!!

You gotta do something, your unborn child is depending on you!!
Old 09-02-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I'm not judging but you must reach out for more substantial help to support you in quitting. If your child is damaged while you are pregnant, it will be a lifetime of difficulties for him or her. You will be caring for this child. Talk to your doctor.

Hang in there. Try not drinking just for today.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words. I have a lady who comes round trained in depression in pregnancy employed by the hospital so I will talk to her and she will hopefully do what she can to help. It's so difficult because I have nothing but love for my unborn child but yet I'm putting his health at risk. I found this forum today and I'm glad I did 😙 thank you so much
Old 09-02-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hugs kfb
I'm so glad you found us! I didn't think I could give up drinking even for a day, but I found out from the amazing people in this community that I could indeed stop drinking and enjoy a life free of the bondage of addiction. The same is true for you and I hope you'll stick around here and get the information and support you deserve.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome:

I'm glad you found this place, it made a big difference for me. I have learned lots of tools to quit drinking one day at a time. Think of the harm you can cause the baby and about what Ruby said about the possible difficulties in his life and you caring for him. It's not uncommon so don't be embarrased with the docs. They see everything and they will admire you for your asking for help.

I hang here a lot and it really helps educate me and sometimes ride a craving. I hope you stick around and know that you can do it!!!
Old 09-02-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome kfb

there's some really good advice here.

Please keep thinking of that little bub inside you. Do whatever you can to stop drinking.

You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 09-02-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome.

You'll find so much support on SR. Prayers for you and your baby.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just wanted to send you hugs.. Thinking of you and your Bub x x
Old 09-02-2015, 09:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Not able to give medical advice, but I'm sure a quick google will explain to you that the latter half of the first trimester has the most negative impact on the fetus and is associated with some of the most telling physical signs of fetal alcohol syndrome. So it's great that you didn't drink during the first twenty weeks, but is it really worth the risk to drink now? All the worrying it is causing you is not healthy. Let's face it, It's not worth it and this is a disease and will power alone is not enough for anyone to quit drinking. Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor. It is more common than you realize.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I'm glad you found us. As other have said willpower isn't enough for most of us. Please get outside help. No one will take your child if you ask for help. If you don't get help and continue to drink there is a real chance you will harm your child and then people will get involved. Can you talk to your partner?

It's also good for your docs to know so they can check when baby is born and care for him properly. I'm not judging you either. I'm a mother and luckily in the first 16 weeks I felt so sick I went off alcohol. After this it was more difficult so I do know how you feel.

Please please seek help though - studies have shown that even just small amounts of alcohol can stop the baby breathing for period of time. I hope you stick around SR too - it is a superb place
Old 09-04-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone. I'm so glad I found this site. If I said this to people who don't understand the pain I'm going through, they would have been absolutely disgusted and no doubt berated me and made me feel even worse than I already do! So it's great to have everyones understanding!! I'm cutting down to eventually stop before the baby is born. The last thing I want is for him to even have withdrawl symptoms. I need to think of something else in the evening to relax me, which I can hopefully do by looking on the internet for ideas.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi kfb -- thanks for your honesty in checking in here. The main worry isn't withdrawal symptoms for the baby when he/she is born -- it's the damage that happens while he/she is growing during the pregnancy. So right now is the best time to get help, and help is available. Did you talk with the visitor from the hospital?

Best wishes -- you'll find support not judgment here, I want the best for you and your baby.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi. I hope you seek help.

Much love.

B
Old 09-04-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Kfb have you spoken to a Dr
Old 09-04-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I do not judge, I welcome