Notices

Am I an alcoholic?

Old 09-03-2004, 05:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I an alcoholic?

I know this is a lame question, but I'm really not sure! For about the past year and a half, I have been drinking practically every single day -- not always a lot, but generally at least 2 drinks. I don't binge, don't drink until I'm sick and don't blackout. However, the fact is that I look forward to a glass of wine everyday, particularly after a stressful day. What do you think? Thanks.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi Uncertain, and welcome!
Not a lame question at all I think.
But really only one you can answer yourself. You certainly do not describe, in my eyes at least, anything remotely close to my experience with alcohol. I never stopped at two drinks. I rarely stopped at two bottles of wine either...
But it's bugging you, and there may be a reason for that.
Check out the Alcoholism Forum here if you want. There are many members at SoberRecovery with experience that may help you look at this concern of yours in an objective way.
By the way, I'm west of where you are, in Northern Ontario.
So, welcome fellow Canadian
Old 09-03-2004, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Uncertain and welcome to SR!
In my opinion...to look forward to a couple of glasses of wine,doesnt sound like a problem for you.
But only you can determine where you are with that.
I always drank and drank and couldnt stop! And I didnt stop until I was passed out or in jail.
I cannot have just a couple and stop.It was either all or nothing.

There must be some reason why you asked the ? Are you worried about it becoming more?
Old 09-03-2004, 06:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome,
Alcoholics come in all shapes and sizes, some drink more then others. What you have to consider is how does it make you fee, really, the gut feeling? Do you wish you could go without it, and have another avenue to deal with stress. Does it make you feel guilty, the next day, is it causing you problems? Try going without for 30 day's. Not one sip, if it doesn't cause you anxst, or stress, or a feeling of dependency, then chances are you don't have a problem. Normal drinkers don't have this inner turmoil.

Alcoholism is a highly progressive disease, eventually, it get's the best of you, you drink for the effect not the taste, you drink more often, you begin to not feel right in the world, etc. You have to decide. Scroll around here, and check out the alcoholism and AA forums. We're glad you found us!
http://www.alcoholicsvictorious.org/am-i-alc.html
Old 09-03-2004, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Uncertain. I'm actually a member here because my mom is an alcoholic. I think that they best we to keep you drinking in check (for me anyway) is to stay informed. Know that addictions seem to run in families so some people may be more at risk for this disease than others. And set some ground rules for yourself and stick to them. Don't use drinking as a coping device. I don't drink when I'm sad, or stressed, or anything. If you're not already in a good mood just pass thats my rule. *best wishes*
Old 09-03-2004, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((((((Uncertain))))))))
I was told a normal drinker doesn't wonder if he has a problem with drink. Then again I was an alcoholic and thought I did not have one, even to the point of beligerent denial. Stick around a while. I am sure our sharing of our own situations might help you diagnose yourself as to whether you have a problem or not. Please feel free to check out the alcoholism and Alcoholics Anonymous threads on this Community. They may be more specific to your particular situation than some of the other forums.

Welcome to SR

Three Legs
Old 09-03-2004, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Castaway

Thanks for the link Chy. I made a copy.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree, Sandy--that's a great series of questions. Thanks, Chy!

Hi, uncertain,

Two drinks a day doesn't qualify you as a heavy drinker, but you are describing a pattern of using alcohol to relieve stress. Recognizing that you use it as a coping mechanism is something many of us here took years of heavy drinking to see in ourselves, so you're way ahead of us!

If Chy's suggestion of 30 days abstinent seems too onerous, maybe just try a week without any alcohol. That'll get it and the byproducts out of your system, and you can see how you find other ways to deal with the stress.

Don S
Old 09-03-2004, 06:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah Uncertain, look at it this way. A lot of people drink with no problem. But, unlike most people I drank alcohol only to get drunk, and I could not quit (on my own).

I would also say that alcoholism a lot of times runs in families.

Wine was my drink of choice and I practically would drink a whole bottle (or two) by myself (and I also mean alone). I tried to hide my drinking, so I drank later at night.

So, I would echo what the others have said, and thought I would describe my pattern for you. I did not drink every day, though. But I did drink excessively on the weekends.

I hope this helps, and I agree; try quitting for a week or month - nonalcoholics probably could do this.

Also, you say a stressful day - maybe look for a different way to relieve the stress, such as going to a gym for a workout? Just a thought!!

Dave
Old 09-03-2004, 08:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Uncertain one. Lots of great advice here. Drinking for stress relief could be a red flag, even if it is in moderation now, alcoholism is progressive. Better for you to find more healthy stress outlets. My advice -Hange out here, learn all you can about alcoholism, listen to the stories of others. Then maybe you will have a better idea if you consider yourself an alcoholic or not.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't know

Good morning.
I'm no doctor, but I don't know if a couple of glasses of wine a night is a bad thing. Apparently, 2 glasses of wine a day is good for the heart. Hell if you lived in Australia, 4 drinks a day is a normal thing. I think what you've got to ask yourself is, do you HAVE to have those drinks? I know for me that it was never just 2 glasses of wine but 2 or more bottles, that I had to have. I couldn't stop. What's the point, I always thought. I'm reletively new at this (one week), and I've got to tell you,...I've never felt better. If I was to say to you,.. "don't drink for a week". Could you do it? If the answer is "no problem", then personally, I don't think you have a problem. I enjoy the occasional cigar on the golf course, but if I dont have one, it's no big deal. However, up until a week ago, if I didn't have a drink, I would try to find a way to get one.

=)
Old 09-04-2004, 05:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Uncertain--Hello and welcome to SR!! People before me have already said pretty much everything I was going to say. Good luck to you and I hope you find your answers!!

Hugs--
Old 09-04-2004, 06:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Everyone

I really appreciate all your advice and taking the time to respond. The suggestion to stop drinking for a period of time is a good one. There have been many mornings where I told myself that I'm not going to drink today...but by the evening (or at lunch hour if I'm having a stressful day) I give up and tell myself it's no big deal. There is alcoholism in my family -- so even though I don't drink excessively, it is the root of my concern. I think I will need to give a period of abstinence a try -- just to prove to myself that I can do it. Thanks again.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Uncertain:
Keep dropping back in to let us know how you're doing on your period of abstinence. You just might help some of the rest of us out by doing so.

(((((Uncertain)))))),
Three Legs