Notices

What if we haven't hit rock bottom?

Old 09-01-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What if we haven't hit rock bottom?

I've read a lot of posts from people saying that hitting rock bottom made them quit drinking. That isn't the case for me. I just woke up one day and my switch was flipped, so to speak, and I was done. However, this now scares me. Has this happened to a lot of people? I don't want to be negative at all I'm just worried the done feeling may go away. 39 days today
xo
Old 09-01-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me a 'bottom' doesn't have to be a cataclysmic event....it's simply a decision not to live that way any more.

Many many people here were smarter than I was, and got off the elevator several floors before I did

I wouldn't feed those fears too much bellamiaa - you're doing great

D
Old 09-01-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good thing! I say just run with it.It's a good thing you know that the done feeling may go away... relapses happen but I think you are ahead of the game by being aware. Not exactly an answer to your question but wanted you to know I think you are doing well
Old 09-01-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I've heard others say ones bottom is when we choose to stop digging. That works for me. 39 days is a great start - well done!!

We as a group can over think a lot of things. I fall into the sick and tired category and not necessarily totally dire consequences. I put my shovel away, hopefully.

Glad you're here with us
Old 09-01-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Rock bottom" as a necessary part of successful recovery is a Myth.

You get to decide when you're fed up.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Rock bottom wasn't necessary for me. I just wanted a chance to reach my full potential and have a life worth living. 9 months sober and I'm glad I didn't wait for all the consequences to pile up to do the right thing. Keep going
Old 09-01-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
I've heard others say ones bottom is when we choose to stop digging.
I like this!
Old 09-01-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Your responses make me feel way better! Congrats to all of you too
xo
Old 09-01-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

You are smarter than I was. Don't fall back in the trap.

If I would of had the internet back in 1993 when I quit drinking, on a whim, for 8 months, I may have learned my lesson earlier.

The internet is going to cause a huge financial loss for alcohol companies, hospitals etc etc.. that made money on treating alcoholism.

Everyone is quickly learning that booze will ruin you. My 12 year old has been educated. He probably won't be guzzling wine when he is 13 like I was.

I thought it was fun. An alcoholic was that bumb sleeping on the side walk.
Not my Dad.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
You are smarter than I was. Don't fall back in the trap. If I would of had the internet back in 1993 when I quit drinking, on a whim, for 8 months, I may have learned my lesson earlier. The internet is going to cause a huge financial loss for alcohol companies, hospitals etc etc.. that made money on treating alcoholism. Everyone is quickly learning that booze will ruin you. My 12 year old has been educated. He probably won't be guzzling wine when he is 13 like I was. I thought it was fun. An alcoholic was that bumb sleeping on the side walk. Not my Dad.
I've talked to my son as well. He's 17. My mother is an alcoholic too. I've talked to him about it being passed down to him. (Hopefully my words will stay with him). My daughter is 13. We haven't had that talk yet... Maybe it's time?
Old 09-01-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

rock bottom is when you have an alcohol addiction and you recognize it, the bad things that happen are just a side-effect of the addiction, like said above, its a myth, used by some as well as to justify not quitting
Old 09-01-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi Bella-

Like others above, I was in the 'sick and tired of being sick and tired'. The problems I was causing in my relationships were enough for me to take notice. I just feel very lucky I flipped the switch when I did, before any extremely dire consequences.

I like what Sleepie said....just run with it!
Congrats on your 39 days.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me, I realized I didn't want to hit rock bottom. I preferred to learn from other people's experiences versus living it myself.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It is true rock bottom may be the catalyst to propel some people forward and into recovery but the sad truth is that many people never get up or recovery from hitting rock bottom..
The only place to go is up!! is a myth...
Old 09-01-2015, 08:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thanks to you all for the wise words. They will help many.
One of my first posts on SR back 22 months ago was a description of myself.
I said that I was a functioning alcoholic. A wise old recovering drunk set me straight. He said that their is no such thing as a functioning alcoholic. I was just in a stage of alcoholism. I had a bad case of the "yets". My wife hadn't left me yet. I hadn't killed anyone with my car yet. I hadn't puked on my desk at work yet. I was still working, yet. I hadn't drank all my money yet.
This disease is progressive. The only direction it takes you is down. Moderation is not an option for us. Abstaining is the only solution to our problem.
This was great advice for me and I have not forgotten it.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think rock bottom is in the grave... and we won't know we're there because it'll be too late.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 39 days.

When I decided to quit drinking I was actually doing "better" compared to times past and was drinking on average 2 to 4 drinks about 5 days a week. The actual day I made the decision to quit drinking was a normal day. I wasn't hung over and didn't have anything bad going on; it just seemed like a good idea to deal with this whole drinking thing once and for all. Sobriety showed me I was a heck of a lot more messed up than I thought I was, but I was far from any type of stereotypical rock bottom.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I had not hit "rock bottom" but as Fly N Buy says, I was tired of digging.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

I kept thinking if this isnt bottom what is I was in freefall mode

I stopped falling when I stopped drinking
Old 09-02-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

imo rock bottom is death.
bottom-the lowest or deepest part of something.

as with fly n buy i stopped digging and know today there is more digging i can do.
i chose not to today.