Notices

I drank on Saturday....

Old 09-08-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I drank on Saturday....

Hello all:

So as the title says: I drank on Saturday...

We went to a party and after that we were supposed to drive to our farm. Last minute we decided to stay in town and once I got home I poured myself a drink. I had a beer after. My daughter was at her grandparent and it was just my husband and I...

I have nobody to blame but myself. I didn't work my plan as usual. I'm not going to give excuses. I posted a couple of days ago that I had given myself permission to drink... I failed. I woke up Sunday not feeling horribly hungover but I did feel like crap and it wasn't worth it. It never is... My husband said it was ok because I moderated so that I shouldn't be so hard on myself but he just doesn't get it.

I feel so stupid. After all the "big talk" I give and after all the advice I give I couldn't take my own.

I failed so I start again...

Arghhh! It was all me letting my AV win. I'm so sad with myself.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just learn from it and carry on as if it didn't happen, push through the shameover and keep your head up.
Xoxo
Old 09-08-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rar

I relapsed also on Sunday, so I know I feel your misery and disappointment in yourself. I'm sad too. My husband drank quite a bit also, and like your's, just doesn't get it. We have to move forward. You're on your 3rd day and I'm on my 2nd. One day at a time. I know I just can't handle that one drink. We can do this.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up. Next time instead of giving yourself permission to drink, give yourself permission NOT to drink. It's OK to say no.

Hang in there.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was soooo well aware of what I was doing but I still did it. It was like I was watching myself from the outside. The worse part is that since I "moderated" now my hubby goes "see, you can do it". The thing is that I never know and I don't want to play with fire.

I feel a little better posting here but I'm still dissapointed and angry at myself.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Focus on the positive and move forward. My wife doesn't get it 100% either, she thinks I could moderate too and I can maybe a few times. The thing is eventually I will wind up down the rabbit hole where I was before I quit.

This is why I can't ever drink anymore ever.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey good on you for coming right back and not making this set back a train wreck. I think that's huge.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post

I feel so stupid. After all the "big talk" I give and after all the advice I give I couldn't take my own.
I'm sure that is very humbling.
Self deception is something to watch.
MM
Old 09-08-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes MMB!!!

I feel humbled for sure. I'm proud of all the sober time I have but this time I'm starting my count over (not that counting days matter) because last time I had a slip in May I decided to just keep counting. My new date is 9/6... I know that year and some months DO mean something but I have to be honest with myself.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would do the same thing ( pick a new starting day). That way your clearing yourself of all memories and beginning a new I still consider you a good friend, one who helps me stay on the sober path. I wish that you could of talked to me before you took that first drink.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You're back and that's what counts. Brush it off and feel stronger knowing you didn't leave sobriety in the dust.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

well... crap.

I'm sorry to hear this.

But dust it off and don't look back.... except perhaps with an eye toward understanding what aspects of your sobriety need shoring up as you continue on.

For me, those moments of contemplation of a drink don't last long anymore - and are mostly dismissed by observing them and then choosing to let them go.

My life changes in the past nearly-two-years have helped to support my decision of sobriety and continuing to keep taking actions that honor that choice have kept me from slipping.

You can do that, too.....

Old 09-08-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You know, that even when I tried to moderate (one or two drinks) I would still wake up the next day and feel the effect of the alcohol. No I wasnt hung over, but I was just groggy and a little out of it. Then the days I didnt drink, I feel much better. It is odd, but not really, that one drink would make you feel off the next day. That being said, once you dont drink any for a while that good feeling is always there. Then if you do drink, and feel the effects the next day, I hope that is enough to deter the thoughts of drinking.

Man I dont miss being hung over at all. Im not a morning person, but I am a bit better in the morning when I dont drink. Im hoping that improves as time goes by. However, I always liked my sleep. When I was younger I would sleep until 11 or noon
Old 09-08-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My husband is like that as well. If i moderate my drinking he thinks it is fine. I tell him all the time, no it is not fine. I still feel just as bad whether i have 2 drinks or 10 drinks. Just keep trying. It is all we can do! I messed up this weekend too.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

On the plus side, as reminders of how powerful your AV is, it could have been worse. And starting the clock over is probably a good idea to act as a reminder that you need to stay on your guard.

Your AV is now almost certain to repeat what your husband said back to you over and over again, so be ready for that. Yes, you showed you are capable of stopping after two drinks. But the fact that you had those two drinks in the first place, which you clearly regret, shows you are most definitely not in control of your drinking.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was soooo well aware of what I was doing but I still did it. It was like I was watching myself from the outside. The worse part is that since I "moderated" now my hubby goes "see, you can do it". The thing is that I never know and I don't want to play with fire.

I feel a little better posting here but I'm still dissapointed and angry at myself.
Yeah... That's rough.

Could you maybe sit him down and say "Look. alcoholics can't moderate. If other people moderate, that's great. But for alcoholics, "moderate" is like standing on the side of a mountain holding a boulder up. An alcoholic can do it for a minute, maybe, on an excellent day with the stars all in line. But it's not like non-alcoholics."

...or something like that?
Old 09-08-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to take responsibility for what happened, but, it's also important to be kind to yourself and to move on. It sounds like your husband doesn't 'get' alcoholism, but it's hard for others to understand it. You know what is the right thing to do.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes Airwick!!!! I do wish I would have posted but I didn't because we were home alone and late and I'm usually not on my phone. We were having "parent time" since our daughter was with her grandparents. Now we won't have similar dates eventhough that first date will always have a place in my heart because it was when I surrendered.

Thanks Frick and Kelly. I did know that I would be back but it's tricky... I guess it's easy to get sober, staying sober is something else.

I love my sober life. Love it! I don't know why I was willing to pay this price and what blows is that as it was mentioned before, I hear the AV saying, moderation is ok. Like needtostopthis said: it's NOT ok.

It's my fault that husband said that because I am the one saying that I quit but then I'm the one who decided to drink. It's a step backwards with him because I have had "the talk" with him several times and he was finally beginning to "get it".

I have the rest of my life to make it happen...
Old 09-08-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Rar

Yes MMB!!!

I feel humbled for sure. I'm proud of all the sober time I have but this time I'm starting my count over (not that counting days matter) because last time I had a slip in May I decided to just keep counting. My new date is 9/6... I know that year and some months DO mean something but I have to be honest with myself.
I had some significant sobriety time under my belt too. I'm using Day 1 not so much as a sobriety date (which it is), but as the first day (again) of an alcohol free life. I suppose many have different views, but that is why I start from the beginning when I slip.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

I gave up on saying Never , because that's when ( as you say) get down on yourself. Now I say " If I fail - I will try again Use that Never - in I will Never give up Trying to recover One day at time !!