Notices

lonely

Old 08-31-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

lonely

I like reading how life gets better once sober. I feel good after days of not drinking. I feel more clear headed, I feel confident and actually like myself. Then weekend comes and I drink and have "fun" with my friends, and waste away the weekend. I feel if I stay sober on weekends I will be all alone. and I will be!!! my boyfriend of 2 years is a social person and loves to meet friends at bars, watch sports. so I know I will lose him if I change my ways.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi goodME. I understand where you're coming from. Maybe the next weekend you can hang out with your friends and bf but not drink yourself. I'm sure they (and surely he) would accept your choice. If you think being around the others as they drink would be too tempting find another group of friends to hang with. Just a thought.

Hang in there. I know you'll get great support here.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi B2GM

It is difficult as a young person (I am assuming you are fairly young) to seperate alcohol and a social life. Difficult but not impossible, have you told your boyfriend how bad the weekend drinking is making you feel? If he cares about you he should be able to compromise out of respect for your feelings. If he makes no concessions to your feelings then he doesn't care enough about you in which case maybe losing him would not be the worst thing

I realise that it is much easier to sit and type this than it is to do it

All the best to you
Old 08-31-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You don't know that you will lose him if you stop drinking. Unless you've already tried to stop drinking and he left you at that point.

however, you will have to do some thinking about this. Stay with boyfriend and continue to drink and be miserable and maybe lose boyfriend because of the drinking. Or get sober and risk losing boyfriend if he is too enmeshed in alcoholic fun, but also gain a better life for yourself. Relationships are hard but living life under the yoke of alcohol is even harder. Stick around here and read and for support.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by back2thegoodME View Post
so I know I will lose him if I change my ways.
It is possible you may lose him if you don't change. When I drank I broke up with a couple of girlfriends because their behavior, when drunk, was too outrageous to tolerate. Just because you both drink it doesn't mean alcohol won't effect the relationship.