Notices

Depression setting in

Old 08-30-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression setting in

I need your help tonight. This pancreatitis comes with a list of dietary restrictions and I'm having some difficulty with it. The obvious, of course, is that I miss my wine. But it's far worse than that. I have to dramatically restrict my fat intake to no more than 20 grams of fat daily.

This would not be a big deal, except that I'm also diabetic, and the solution to that has been a low-carb, high fat diet. Meat and cheese have been the staples of my diet for a long time. I'm having a hard time figuring out things that I can eat now that don't break one of those two rules. Fruits are too sweet, veggies are higher carb in many cases, rice is out, pasta is out, now most meats and fish and cheeses are out as well.

It's depressing me to think that everything fun-- fun food and fun drink-- is now on a path to kill me. What can I eat? Lettuce? Even beans are loaded with carbs. It seems like I have to choose between dying slowly from diabetes or dying quickly and painfully from pancreatitis. I don't know what to do but I'm seriously hitting a bad head space with this problem.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In very sorry retread! hugs!!!
Old 08-30-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow what a dilemma. Can your doctor refer you to a nutritionist to help you work out a diet? I love food so much, it would break my heart too to have such restrictions in place. I hope the pancreatitis restriction is at least temporary...

First thing that comes to mind is chicken breast and greens.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Bummer... Whatever it is, find a way to treat yourself. There must be something fun you can still have from time to time. And maybe treat yourself more in other areas. Sorry you're having such a hard time.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Find a nutritionist ASAP. Once you have guidelines in place, it will be easier. Until then, lean protein and veggies will get you on your way. I know it doesn't sound exciting, but right now you must do what's best for your health. You can do it!
Old 08-30-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, I second the nutritionist thing. I understand there's quite a few medical difficulties you're facing, but there must be more available to you then eating like a rabbit.

Either way, all the best.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What about starting with a lean veg soup? Carrots, celery, onions, leeks, few sweet potatoes and peas. Lots of vitamins, had this earlier and made me feel really satisfied xxxx
Old 08-30-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Looking around the internet I'm coming up with chicken breast (skinless), tuna, low-fat cheese, salad greens. I could probably make salads with low-fat dressings and small amounts of sunflower seeds.

I might have to start taking medication for the diabetes. This may not be manageable without it. Hopefully after a few months of eating like this I might be able to eat a more normal diet.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's the spirit. Seems like the sort of situation that will improve sooner the more faithfully you can apply to the solution. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Retread
That is a dietary dilemma. I wonder if there is a support forum out there for anyone with similar issues that may have some ideas?
Did the doctor say this is for life or temporary?
Old 08-30-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Hi Retread
That is a dietary dilemma. I wonder if there is a support forum out there for anyone with similar issues that may have some ideas?
Did the doctor say this is for life or temporary?
I think that it should be about 3-6 months and then I should be able to try adding more fat. The fat doesn't cause the pancreatitis, it just causes the pancreas to release more dietary enzyme which can add to the injury while it's trying to heal. Once it's healed, it should be better.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Hey Retread I thought I was the only one in SR eating LCHF I'm more Keto . I did it to lower my BP & loss some weight mostly . Well my BG was a touch high , but I'm not diabetic .
I'm have many allergies main one is dairy & have to watch some fats , cause of my GERD .
I found your post late I see cause you already found some ideas that's Good
On youtube there are a bunch of LC recipes , that's where I found most of mine . Actually just today I found a woman that has just started her own Youtube channel for Keto diabetic people . If your interested , I'll put a link up tomorrow .
Things will be ok , at least you can heal up after some time & get back on it Yea !!
Old 08-30-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't have any dietary advice for you; I'd imagine a nutritionist is in order, but wanted to say I'm feeling for you.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NestWasEmpty View Post
Hey Retread I thought I was the only one in SR eating LCHF I'm more Keto . I did it to lower my BP & loss some weight mostly . Well my BG was a touch high , but I'm not diabetic .
I'm have many allergies main one is dairy & have to watch some fats , cause of my GERD .
I found your post late I see cause you already found some ideas that's Good
On youtube there are a bunch of LC recipes , that's where I found most of mine . Actually just today I found a woman that has just started her own Youtube channel for Keto diabetic people . If your interested , I'll put a link up tomorrow .
Things will be ok , at least you can heal up after some time & get back on it Yea !!
Sure, that would be great. I smiled a little when I got my lab results back and noted that there were ketones in the urine. Of course there were! It's been GREAT for weight loss and for keeping my glucose low. Hopefully I can get back to it sooner rather than later; I don't want to have another 10 lbs to lose again.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I understand.
Well, the best that you can do is follow the doctor's orders and be strict until you get the go ahead to try something different. Give yourself the time to heal. Can your doctor help you with your concerns?

I was diagnosed prediabetic awhile back and tried a low/no carb high fat diet... it did not make me feel well. I wasn't sure what to do either as you have to get calories from either fat or carbs. I did not feel it was good to put so much fat through my system either but couldn't eat my beans and rice that were cheap and nutritious. But I did recently find that I can eat a small amount of pintos (dried and soaked not canned) without a big spike.

I am going to try sweet potato this week too.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

It seems like I have to choose between dying slowly from diabetes or dying quickly and painfully from pancreatitis. I don't know what to do but I'm seriously hitting a bad head space with this problem.
That's your Inner Addict talking.

There are many possibilities between those two poles..and it's not forever

Ask your Dr about the diabetes thing. There may be other options to medications, even now.

I'm not a nutritionist either but I bet some more googling will help you find a dietary regime that's not too grim...especially if it's hopefully only going to be a matter of months

D
Old 08-31-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

If my post looked like dietary advice or over stepped a rule ( I didn't mean to ) I thought since Retread was already following LC way of eating it would be ok ? Please let me know Dee .
Old 08-31-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeah I think it would be easier to have some guidelines, some kind of list to work off and stay within when making meals.

Hang in there Retread!!
Old 08-31-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You're going to look amazing though!
That probably doesn't help, but you will!
Can you have any complex carbs like brown rice?