Notices

On House Arrest and Sober

Old 08-29-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On House Arrest and Sober

Well, this is my first post here so I guess this is a good place to start.

Long story short, I currently have two DUIs within a six month span and I'm now realizing that I'm an alcoholic at twenty-three. As part of my sentencing and pretreatment, I'm currently on house arrest for thirty-three days along with an alcohol monitoring bracelet. I'm on day fifteen of this and I'm starting to have just a bit of cabin fever. I work long hours during the week so being out of the house isn't an issue but sitting at home on weekends is becoming more of a nuisance. I've been watching Netflix nonstop, getting all my dates and whatnot scheduled for my probation and treatment. But besides that, I'm completely bored out of my mind.

So I guess what I'm asking is for suggestions for things to do sober while in the house. I'm not allowed to go outside even to smoke a cigarette so my options are limited. I'm hoping someone else was/is currently in the same boat as me.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Meowsatan!!

Here's a list of things to do, I appreciate though a lot might not be suitable to your situation but there's plenty that can be done indoors!!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 08-29-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions but I am curious if you don't mind answering a few questions about house arrest. Never been on house arrest so just curious.
1. Can people come over to your house to visit?
2. What is an alcohol monitor?
3. Are you allowed to walk outside on your own property or must you be inside at all times? (other than work)
Old 08-29-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

People are allowed to come over. They cannot have any drugs or have any alcohol.

It's called a SCRAM bracelet. It's pretty much a big black box strapped to my ankle that monitors any kind of alcohol in my system as well as my house arrest. I can't use mouth wash, any alcohol based products (hand sanitizer, perfumes, etc. ).

I must be inside my house at all times unless I have a doctor's appointment, going to treatment or work. If I have to go to the bank, get prescriptions, anything of that sort, I have to talk to my PO or the office that monitors my house arrest. I can't even go outside to smoke a cigarette. I've been vaping just to get nicotine on weekends.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Maybe you can write in a journal? I'd start out with a gratitude journal, and the first thing I'd write about is how grateful I am that all I got was house arrest for 33 days, and I didn't kill any innocent people getting behind the wheel of a car drunk.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Hi Meow,

I would suggest you use the time to catch up on your reading and also become familiar with the literature on alcoholism and recovery. You might try some of the titles put out by Rational Recover, SMART Recovery, Allen Carr or Craig Beck, among many others. This does of course assume that you really want to stop drinking and are not just killing time until your house arrest is over. I really hope it's the former and not the latter. Good luck!
Old 08-29-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I actually just ordered some books off Amazon about alcoholism lol. I'm really trying to be serious about being sober from alcohol. This has been more then a wake up call for me. I'm just focused on getting through this legal process and staying away from alcohol. And thank you!
Old 08-29-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Meow. I can understand having cabin fever on the weekends, and Netflix would only help me to a certain point. Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would develop a daily exercise routine, even if it was just stretching and walking in place while watching TV. Moving a little may help to keep the walls from closing in too much.

Do you cook much? If so, maybe you could experiment with some new recipes. I do this sometimes when I'm bored.

At the very least, you can come here and get involved in some of the discussions. That should help you 1) stay sober and 2) keep you busy and engaged in something constructive.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Meow!
Old 08-29-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Besides reading around and posting, there is an Arcade at SoberRecovery.

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - Arcade

Here are some good threads:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...8th-until.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5533429

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-one.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html
Old 08-29-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do you play an instrument? Maybe pick up guitar, paint or learn a new language?
Old 08-29-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
now's the time

I was just in rehab, which meant being pretty restricted at night and on weekends. I read a lot of books... something I love but which I'd kind of stopped doing while drinking. I also drew and started a journal.

But I definitely second Time2Rise. Exercise is key when you're cooped up. I really swear by yoga for sobriety... there's a lot of evidence that it's especially good for alcoholics because it helps the brain's levels of GABA, which are depleted by alcohol. You can find lots of free classes online and they don't need much space to do.

Good luck. Losing freedom feels terrible but it does give you time to think.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Agreed about the yoga
Old 08-30-2015, 12:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lots of great suggestions here - it does depend how you're 'thinking' though. My brain was on washing-machine mode that early in recovery, so my focus and concentration weren't at their usual levels. You sound fairly bright at the moment though. These are some of the things I have done...
*Recovery reading (Sober Recovery and Monkey on my Shoulder really helped me - both cheap as chips from Amazon, or Sober Recovery can be read as a pdf on your computer for free).
* Reading for fun - I love a good book. It's (I suppose) another way of escape
* Sewing (I couldn't have done that in early recovery though. Baby stuff if the best to make as it's small, so mistakes aren't too expensive)
* Baking / cooking
* AA meetings (could this be counted as going out for recovery treatment?)
*Cleaning and sorting out clutter and stuff to be disposed of (there was a LOT of it - I love my house now. I used to live pretty much in a hovel. Filth and clutter everywhere. I hated every second just sitting there in it. Just another way that alcohol took over and made my life unmanageable)

Good luck.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Meowsatan! I'm glad you joined us here. I would suggest there are plenty of things to do online. Maybe Netflix? It might be a good opportunity to binge watch a few TV series. Daredevil and BoJack Horseman are both pretty awesome. Reading or playing computer games would be good ways to pass the time.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Miaowsatan nice to meet you

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 08-30-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome meowsatan !
Old 08-30-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When I was sober several years ago, I used to get together with a group from AA and visit someone who was in your situation. I don't know if you are into AA as a form of support but, if so, you could reach out to a local group and see if you can get them to bring a meeting to you.

Other ideas here are good: Read a book, start some exercise, get someone to bring you a craft kit like needlepoint, or a jigsaw puzzle, learn to knit (there are tutorials online) or crochet, there are lots of things you can do that would be fun and would keep your mind off your situation.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Audio books.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Welcome to SR

I'm 23 too! Great age to get sober!

I've been feeling similar recently as I've been off work. For me journaling helps pass the time and is also highly beneficial psychologically. Reading is good too, both fiction and recovery, i try to read a book a week if I can.

One of my biggest escapes and source of fun when at home is video gaming if that's your thing. Also if you have friends to do it with it can get provide a source of social interaction too.

Keep going!
B