Notices

23andme Alcohol Dependency

Old 08-29-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

23andme Alcohol Dependency

Prior to 2013, when the FDA banned genetic testing companies such as 23andme from giving their customers their health reports, I had my genetics Analyzed. In addition to learning about your genetic racial/historical roots, I got an analysis of all my health factors and risk. Since I provided my genetic specimen prior to the ban, the company can continue to analyze my data and provide me with more information about my genes. I think this is a great thing and I believe the FDA should lift the restriction on our ability to get this information (without a doctor).

Well I logged on to the site recently and the newest information they have is that I have a higher chance than average of being alcohol dependent. This is both scary and enlightening. Alcoholism has been an issue with all the males in my family, and this data tells me that it is not only environmental factors that have caused this. Right now, my brother, father, and myself are all sober, and I truly believe that is the only way to go for us since alcohol tends to have a greater control over us than it has to other people.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not something that I've had done, but it sounds interesting!!

Though whether I know or not my genetic makeup, I would maybe have still developed a problem, would I have not started to drink or taken measures to stop falling into alcoholism? it's hard to say, my dad was an alcoholic and having that stare me in the face for most of my life didn't do anything to avert my following down the same path.

The answer is still the same though, Sobriety!!
Old 08-29-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

glad your sober dude