Notices

Its been a bit

Old 08-28-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Its been a bit

But I'm still sober !!! My anxiety meds dont seem to be working. I have an appointment the 2nd so see what she says; I do think this might be my last appointment w\ her cause 4 visits & I've gotten no where except in a bigger hole it seems.

Dennis

My name is August West, and I love my Pearly Baker best more than my wine.
More than my wine - more than my maker, though he's no friend of mine.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey AW ,
Nice to know your still sober and working on stuff . never give up

m
Old 08-28-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Dennis, congratulations on staying sober.

Hope your next visit will be better than the previous three
Old 08-28-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'll second the high five for not giving up. Anxiety is a dragon and temptation can seem like an angel, even though temptation wields a jagged dagger. Good job!
Old 08-28-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Druwyd View Post
I'll second the high five for not giving up. Anxiety is a dragon and temptation can seem like an angel, even though temptation wields a jagged dagger. Good job!
So eloquently put !!!!! I'm managing w\ the medication, but I still get that fight or flight feeling in certain situations, so don't know if I need my meds upped or what..

Dennis

Old 08-28-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

AugustWest, That's good that your still Sober I'm on anxiety meds too . For me it's hard to know if it's the med. dose or how I work my plan . Like get in a situation that I wasn't prepared for . Double checking is the best way , with your Dr.
Hope that didn't come out as Medical advice I always worry over that !!
Old 08-28-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll jump on the "good for you" bus!

Don't give up. Let her know how you feel and ask for a Referal that you can call if the new meds don't work

Keep in mind though....
There's lots of options in meds. All they can do is try different ones. Normally they start with "baby food" before serving "adult food". Each time you visit her, you're getting closer.

And I've got to add...
The most effective long term treatment is therapy. Even if you find a med that works, you'll build a tolerance. Nothing works forever.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's great that you're still determined to stay sober even though you're struggling with anxiety - good work!
Old 08-28-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by AugustWest11 View Post
I'm managing w\ the medication, but I still get that fight or flight feeling in certain situations, so don't know if I need my meds upped or what..
Even the fact that you are managing w/the meds with a few hiccups is a giant leap forward AW, that's great to hear. Definitely share this info with your doc or therapist, it takes time to find not only a med that works but a dosage that works. You are already getting there, keep up the positive attitude.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post

Even the fact that you are managing w/the meds with a few hiccups is a giant leap forward AW, that's great to hear. Definitely share this info with your doc or therapist, it takes time to find not only a med that works but a dosage that works. You are already getting there, keep up the positive attitude.
Ohhhh I plan on seeing how the 2nd goes. If she changes the dosage or meds in general I'll stick w\ her. But it's hard for me to still even use the phone. Which is a big problem cause I know I need to get a counselor as well since she "doesn't" handle that aspect she says.

The medical system in Maryland is so funked. I've been referred to 7 different doctors; luckily a very good friend handled the first 5 referrals.

But Thanx Scott I am sticking w\ it and pushing forward.

Dennis

Old 08-29-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through Dennis!!
Old 08-29-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Originally Posted by AugustWest11 View Post
So eloquently put !!!!! I'm managing w\ the medication, but I still get that fight or flight feeling in certain situations, so don't know if I need my meds upped or what..

Dennis

Hey Dennis,

One thing I've had to accept with my anxiety is that the best I can do, even with meds, is to "manage" it. There are still going to be times when my anxiety breaks through. As much as I'd love a pill that takes away all the anxiety, it's always going to be there. It's kind of like alcoholism; always lurking in the background waiting to come out. But I'm grateful I've gotten the right balance of meds so I can manage most of the time and be a productive member of society.

I hope you can find the right meds/dosage so you can get back to living normal life. Just keep pushing forward. The trial and error aspect of treating severe anxiety will eventually pay off.

But let's put things in perspective. Given your circumstances and all that you've been through over the past couple of years, you are doing really well. Most people couldn't have stayed sober in your current situation, let alone having to deal with the anxiety and pain too. Keep your head up!