Notices

Nervous about starting treatment

Old 08-27-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nervous about starting treatment

So tomorrow I go in for my assessment to enter out patient treatment. If all goes well I should start this coming Monday evening. It will be 3 days a week for 3 hours each day. My anxiety has been through the roof since I'm no longer taking Klonopin since I have to be control substance free to enter so I'm on a different medication now. I'm looking forward to getting treatment, but it's the voice in the back of my head telling myself about the what if's. I guess it's natural to be curious especially since I've never done it before. I've been to detox a few times...(forced by the hospital) and by choice but never a treatment center.

I look forward to my road to recovery. I've laid behind me a path of pure destruction and I must rebuild my life!

I've received a ton of advice on here and I love everyone's input from my other posts!
Old 08-27-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I wish you the best, my anxiety was awful the first few months after quitting. I used to have to take medication for high BP and anxiety, I was always a mess and didn't think I could change.

Almost 8 months later, no more BP medicine or problems and haven't needed anxiety medicine in almost 6 months. If your still unsure about treatment one think I can be Sure of is you will only get worse if you continue in your drinking ways and if you stop anything is possible and good things will happen.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My IOP had the same frequency. We had a group that regularly "graduated" people and also added new ones. At first I was resistant but with time I found I really was learning new things. It was a life saver for me.

Best of luck to you on this venture.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes getitright

D
Old 08-27-2015, 11:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Rooting for you bud
Old 08-28-2015, 01:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It would be stranger if you weren't nervous, getright! It's normal to have some butterflies ahead of a big change like this. Try to relax and let yourself go, be open to whatever the experience is. There's nothing to lose! As you point out, behind you is just ruin and devastation. Time for something new and different!
Old 08-28-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Totally normal to be nervous!!! Don't worry about that. Now, try to really embrace this time and learn a lot.

This is exciting for you!!!

Keep us posted!!!
Old 08-28-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

think of it like getting a new hobbie, like knitting or something...
You are joining a club. But it's something you've never tried before. The club meets 3 times a week. And since you are new to the club, they will teach you how to succeed in the club activity. But rather than it being knitting, it is how to live without drinking. Really, that's all it is.
Good luck. Make the most of it and go in with an open mind. You may scoff at some of things they are trying to teach you, but there is a science behind it all. Embrace it and treat it like a school you want to excel at. After all, that's what it is.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's normal to be nervous. I was too when I went but it's like Brain said. Sober school. I've done both outpatient and inpatient. I didn't pay enough attention in outpatient to my detriment. You can do it. Go with an open mind and heart to the experience.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Nervous is perfectly normal, especially if you're taking it seriously.

I agree with the other comments: trying your best to keep an open mind and accept new ideas will help you a lot. And like learning anything new, some things are going to feel strange and awkward at first, only because you're not used to them. So, go with the flow and you should be fine!

Wanting this rather than resisting will make a huge difference.
Best wishes to you!
Old 08-28-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I also agree, it would be abnormal NOT to be nervous imo. Booze was never my major demon, though it was never my friend. Whatever drug bedevils you, the steps you are taking can carry you to a MUCH healthier and happier life. I'm rooting for you.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So tomorrow will be here in no time. I feel like it will be my first day of school all over again. I'm going with an open mind like many of you have told me to do. I really hope this is what I need to get on the right track with my life.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You can do this Getright!!