Notices

First AA meeting tomorrow :)

Old 08-27-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I will post tonight/tomorrow to let you know how I find AA.

I live in a very rural place so I'm kind of worried that I'm going to see people I know there but at the end of the day they will also be there for the same reason. Just need to suck it up!

Kamm that sounds like we've had a very similar time of it. I would be interested to know about the activities that help you. I love anything outdoorsy and have already been walking 3 miles a day since I've been not working..the endorphins work wonders and it's just nice to see people and comment on the weather! I'm also hoping to eventually start saving some money that would have been a makeshift 'booze fund' and to spend that on the worthwhile activities I want to do; horse riding, segway, going to themeparks, going to poshest restaurants and not having to worry about paying for wine to match the menu etc.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Startingover02 - that's so great! Glad to hear it.

I went to my first AA meeting something like 3 months ago, and I now have 90+ days under my belt. AA has been great for me. I echo what a few people said in terms of trying out different meetings. I was lucky in that my first meeting went really well, but I've gone to some that I really disliked for whatever reason. Nothing personal, but just the style of the meetings didn't sit right with me.

I was scared too of seeing someone I knew...and guess what, I did. I don't think he was there the first time (but he honestly could have been, I was so overwhelmed and coming off a binge, I cldn't really concentrate) but the 2nd meeting, I recognized him but cldn't place him. He figured it out before I did though...turns out he was a bartender at one of the bars I used to frequent a few years ago with my then boyfriend! He's been sober for a few years and jokingly "apologized" for contributing to my having to attend the meeting in the first place. He knows my boyfriend by name as well but I really trust he won't say anything. It was not at all scary seeing someone I knew, in fact, it made everything more comfortable. He mentioned he had gotten fired from that bar due to his drinking, but that he was on good terms with the owners now. I thought it was kind of him to share that.

Oh, I also see this one guy at a different meeting I go to less regularly that I absolutely recognize from another local bar that I was a regular at. He used to sit at the bar alone like I did...looking as miserable as I felt. Its awesome to see him at the meeting looking so much better and happier.

Anyways, check back in and let us know how it goes!
Old 08-27-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Aw thank you, that was all really interesting to read

Yeah I guess it's good to know that if one isn't right you can try an alternative. Where I live it's mainly 'old guy' bars and granny charity shops; everything is quite oldy worldy and people aren't very contemporary in their attitudes in general! I have a feeling that I'll probably be the youngest person there but in any case I will give it a chance. Yet in my nearest city, about 30 miles away I could imagine the whole set up of the groups would just have a different dynamic.

Aha that's cool that he broke the ice by telling you the truth about getting fired and that story in it's entirety just shows how we can burn bridges with people due to our drunken behaviour but eventually redeem ourselves/build relationships again when we are taking positive action. That's great about the other guy who has turned everything around too.

Massive well done on your 90+ days, that's amazing. I saw your other thread about your Kristin Davis dream! Please stay strong; it is soo not worth it as you know. Crappy input but are you watching your caffiene intake? I always have weird dreams if I drink too much tea/coke at night. Also could be hormonal; certain times in a cycle you can be more suceptable to bad sleeping patterns and vividity.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Ha just realised that comment about the 'youngest person there' thing sounded really rude..age has nothing to do with validity of advice or how I get on with people! Didn't mean it in a nasty way but it is nice to meet people of all ages at these things and ID with them
Old 08-27-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Missed this post yesterday. Welcome to SR, startingover2, and congrats on choosing a better way of life in recovery. I look forward to getting to know you better here. Post often! It helps.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Just an update to say I did it; I manned up and attended my first meeting last night I would like to reassure all of those who are worried about their first attendance that it is not half as daunting as you think once you get over the threshold.

There were 12 of us and I'm guessing everyone else was between about 35-60 (I'm 28) and I was overwhelmed by some of the stories; what people have managed to pull themselves around from is astounding. There were people who had had stints in prison, periods in secure wards, had lost their children/marriages, had alienated friends, lost their jobs, lost driving licences 5/6 times etc. However, now sober, all of these people were extremely articulate and impressionable and are doing their utmost to help others.

I was kind of afraid that if I heard 'extreme' stories I would feel somewhat complacent; that my AV would tell me 'well, you're not half as far gone as they were; maybe you don't have a problem; you just need to cut down' etc. However the group provided the opposite. It has opened my eyes to just how far things could go if I allow alcohol to gradually take a hold over my life.

I am thankful to only be 6 months - 1 year into getting myself into real hot water (having blackouts after a binge, waking up unsure of what I've said, etc) and that things haven't got any worse. However I feel I have now seen the picture of what things could've looked like in 5/10 years time had I not done something about this self-destructive behaviour.

I am confident that I will not drink on this bank holiday weekend; I am working 2 days out of three, have planned a 6 mile walk tomorrow with my sister and have started a painting that I need to perfect.

Hope you all have a great weekend!
Old 08-28-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I remember my first meeting. I was just astonished at how religious it was. May you have a better experience than I did.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That's a shame that you felt the religious element was exerted maybe too much.

My meeting was held at a church so I was quite apprehensive. I am agnostic; I believe there is some higher power, but I do not try to define what that is. I haven't set foot in a church, aside from weddings, for at least 15 years.

I needn't have worried. Aside from the 'serenity prayer' at the end of my meeting there was no mention of religion. We were given a list of various other support groups including religious groups, and that's all.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stephendu View Post
I remember my first meeting. I was just astonished at how religious it was. May you have a better experience than I did.
Hi.
Meetings vary around the country/world. In my experience going to thousands of meetings over a lot of years and being not a religious person I’ve never been to a meeting that was religious.

Higher Power and God are often used in the same sentence and don’t refer to a religious organization. It’s reference is usually suggested to help people get out of the ego of thinking they don’t need help. Sometimes it’s suggested to use a door knob until a more comfortable one is found to be more suitable.

Part of the AA traditions that is it’s strength:

A.A. is not allied with
any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does
not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor
opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and
help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

BE WELL
Old 08-28-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do your best

Just want to congratulate you
Old 08-28-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Great to hear. I'm glad you had such a positive experience!
Old 08-28-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am so glad to hear that your meeting went so well.