Notices

Life really does get better

Old 08-25-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life really does get better

I haven't been around SR for many months but miss it and remember just how instrumental it has been in my recovery. I don't post much but hope my post will help people struggling and show them how much giving up drinking will improve your life.

When I first joined SR in January 2012 I used to read about people who had been sober for many years and how their lives had changed so radically since getting sober. They said how much better their lives were on so many levels. It seemed unrealistic to me. Yes, I thought my life would be a bit better if I could stop drinking or at least get it under control but it couldn't change that much surely?

When I first joined SR in January 2012 I used to read about people who had been sober for many years and how their lives had changed so radically since getting sober. They said how much better their lives were on so many levels. It seemed unrealistic to me. Yes, I thought my life would be a bit better if I could stop drinking at least get it under control but it couldn't change that much surely?

In January 2012 I'd been drinking for 25 years and knew I had a problem. I'd known for years since early teens when the discovery of this magical substance which gave me confidence, reduced my anxiety and made me the life and soul of the party turned my life around. Over the years I knew I drank more than others, I could stop I just didn't really want to. I liked the feeling and wanted to keep feeling that way. In my career it was all about entertaining, long lunches, boozy evenings – I thought everyone did it.

As time went on I lost friends, relationships, looks, promotion prospects, my license, chance of family, the list goes on. I was reckless and put myself in so many dangerous situations. But still I drank. I'd tried to give up so many times – managed a month and thought that was great. If I could stop for a month I didn't have a problem right? No no no! So on and on it went. I had a child and still couldn't stop. I remember bringing him home from the hospital and opening a bottle of wine Even sleepless nights did not stop me.

It just got to the point in January 2012 where I had truly had enough and found SR. I then stayed sober for 6 weeks. Stopping wasn't too difficult - it was the staying stopped long term that I struggled with. I drank again at a family party as genuinely had not learned how to deal with the cravings when they did arise in full swing. I drank until June when I stopped again, again for 6 weeks and the same things happened. I was on and off SR. Each time I drank again the harder is seemed to stop. I quit again in December and this time I was determined and learned from my mistakes. It wasn't easy and at times hellish but I'm glad I went through it. I've been depressed most of my life and on and off various meds.

I will be 3 years sober in December and I can truly say that my life has changed drastically and all for the better. I now understand what other people meant. I do not recognize the person I once was. I am a completely different person. My child is happy, I am there for him, I am in a job which I love, I wake up happy and have a peace of mind and serenity that I never knew existed. It's not perfect of course and neither am I My depression has gone. My anxiety is well managed through meds, yoga, life changes and thought processes. I have made some very difficult decisions including ending my marriage but I know it is for the best. He was a drinker and I changed so much when I got sober the situation really became intolerable, amongst other things. It's still life with all its challenges and problems but I deal with them head on in a calm way and try not to let things get on top of me.

Thank you to everyone on here who has supported me including Dee and all the mods plus the Decemberites Thanks also to everyone else on here who has helped me and others
for reading Hope it helps people struggling.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lovely to hear from you, and that your life has changed. That was a really positive post and am sure will help many others.

I totally agree with you. Sobriety rocks
Old 08-25-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post. It's beautiful to hear of such wonderful growth. I read peace and serenity in what you wrote. Well done.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fabulous post, readyatlast; I am happy to hear that you are finding sobriety so rewarding (me, too!!!!!)
Old 08-25-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post and so wonderful to hear.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Inspirational post! Thank you! And at almost two years sober, I agree!!
Old 08-25-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Lovely to hear from you, and that your life has changed. That was a really positive post and am sure will help many others.

I totally agree with you. Sobriety rocks
Thanks Jeni, hope you are doing ok
Old 08-25-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I often say, "The longer I'm sober the drunken I was."

To see what life can be and is, in comparison to what it was, is nothing short of a mircle.

Even though my life has been challenging to say the least it is so much better than the place I came from
Old 08-25-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Thank you for this post. It's beautiful to hear of such wonderful growth. I read peace and serenity in what you wrote. Well done.
Thanks Ruby. I used to be so hyper, unhappy, depressed and anxious all the time. I was full of nerves and tension. It's amazing how quitting drinking and the resultant life changes can so fundamentally change a person.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you, thank you, thank you....
Old 08-25-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

ReadyAtLast, FANTASTIC, yes it does get better, nice thread thanks.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Beautiful flowers Neferkamichael

Apologies for the repeated second paragraph!

one other thing I meant to add was that I didn't just wake up one morning and think this is it, life is so much better. It was a very very gradual thing. It's only looking back can I see how much better my life is now. hope that makes sense. I know I used to think - when will I feel better? It's not an overnight event but a whole life change thing.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Inspirational post! Thank you! And at almost two years sober, I agree!!
Congrats on coming up for 2 years DD
Old 08-25-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Congrats.

Thanks for your inspirational post.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for taking the time to write this post. Always inspiring to hear these stories to those of us who are still in the tunnel....but starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer than the one behind us.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post RAL - thank you. So pleased all is going well

D
Old 08-25-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great to hear that life has sincerely taken a turn for the better, and your future is looking bright! Thanks for sharing such a great post and keep doin' what you're doin'!
Old 08-25-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you for the post Ready; it is very inspirational, and I'm very happy you're in such a great place.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I really appreciate the post! Filled with strength and hope. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you Ready! I'm early in my journey and it's very encouraging to read stories like yours.
Congratulations!