Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I know I shouldn't care and should find something better to do (binge buddy)

Notices

Old 08-24-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've mentioned my story. Ended up in the hospital (was forced there by husband) after binging for a number of days with my drinking buddy. We would get together a few times a year and drink for a few days. It never lasted as long as it did over the summer. Maybe it was four or five? In any case, it was bad, really bad.

When we first started our binges, meeting up a couple of times of year since she's an old high school buddy, it was fun. We'd talk and talk, watch television, gossip, etc. Then I went downhill. She did, too. After I got out of the hospital, I called her to reassure her that I knew this was completely my fault. She did not enable me. She was crying because she felt guilty, not in front of me, but in front of my husband. She even lied to him, saying that she was dumping my bottles. That was a lie. If anything, she was dumping hers and mine into her stomach.

Anyway, I called her two weeks after getting out of the hospital in order to maintain civility. She didn't answer. I was happy because I did my duty.

Now she's posting all of this passive aggressive stuff on Fb. I don't know whether it's aimed at me, but she seems to have found a new drinking buddy. Good for her, I guess, but they are always trading barbs back and forth about "haters" and how people are mean, arrogant and they suck.

I'm just posting to vent. I know I could block her. She's not a big fb-er and I didn't really pay much attention to her before on fb, but now I find myself curiously checking her page to see the show.

I don't know. It feels like life is unfair. I would be sad, I guess, if this tore me apart from someone I had a real relationship with. I don't know why people feel so spurned when we stop drinking. Is it guilt? Shame? Anger?
Old 08-24-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd say ignore her. You cannot know what she is thinking much less change it. I stay away from Facebook completely as much of it is just gossip and drama/vanity anyway.

Certainly there is some resentment ( possibly by her addiction ) at losing a drinking buddy, and also perhaps jealousy because she sees you doing well. But at the end of the day you've got a lot better things to worry about than her drama on social media.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Let it go, she was just a drinking buddy not a friend. A friend would never treat you that way.

She may like to create drama on Facebook to hide her own problems but anyway it is not worth your while to get upset about her. She needs to be let go from your mind and replaced with someone healthy.

Certain people just like booze both can be bad for our health.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A lot of people feel threatened when their drinking buddy quits. If you have a problem and you drink with them, maybe they too have a problem. It's threatening. Some people would rather point fingers and ridicule rather than engaging in self examination. I don't Facebook very often. I check it once in a while. It IS a lot of vanity and gossip. Maybe take a break from looking at it for a while if you don't want to block her. She doesn't sound very kind.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can't be sure this is about you - but regardless if it is or not, I think maybe this is a friend to avoid for a while?

D