Notices

Best way out

Old 08-24-2015, 01:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Best way out

Hi everyone, I'm new around here, and was wondering if I could get few tips on how to deal with my drinking problem.
I'm on a good path of becoming a heavy drinker as it is getting worse now and almost on a daily basis (depending on life circumstances). I know I have a problem, cause it started to affect my daily routines, my professional career and very likely, my relationships. I started to drink in 2012 cause I was engaged in a very stressful work environment and it was the quickest way of keeping my wits about. I had standard blackouts, memory loss and eternal embarrassment, but it was under control, so I believed.
Earlier this year I started to notice my memory loss was getting bad, I started to get depressed, lethargic not caring for my work which is very important to me. Recently I started to experience false memories which are absolutely terrible. I thought I was going crazy cause I was tripping conversations, situations that never happened.
I usually drink beer, but after a few I go for tequilas, gin, schnapps...

My main problem in resolving this awful habit is the place where I live. I'm in the northern part of Serbia, and our health care system is everything but patient focused. I didn't find in my vicinity any AA programs nor professionals who could help me with this and point me in which direction to go. I think I'm going to have to do this by myself, which is fine as I don't believe I need medical attention. I do not experience any pain when not drinking nor any other withdrawal symptoms.

I would be very grateful if someone could show me any online programs/steps/literature - any ways that could be helpful in me never tasting that awful thing again.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome reveal

I don't speak, write or read Serbian but the following link suggests you might at least be put in touch with other Serbian alcoholics here

Anonimni Alkoholicari Srbija

If you're a foreigner, not conversant in the language, or I've got it totally wrong, I hope you'll forgive me

There are other meeting based recovery groups like SMART and LifeRing around the world too - I'm sure Google will help there.

You'll always find support and ideas here in any case.

why not check out our Class of August support thread?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-15.html

D
Old 08-24-2015, 02:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This site also has online meetings twice a week. There are also other online meetings available, if thats what you're looking for. Google online AA meetings.

Welcome to SR! Make a plan to help you get through the cravings and withdrawls... It doesn't feel like it but they do eventually become less prevalent. Start with today. Just don't drink today.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

If in fact no AA meetings are available on line meeting would help along with reading AA books/litriture etc available at Amazon.com. books like Alcoholics Anonymous, Living Sober, Chalk Talks on Alcohol etc.

The forums on this site have a bunch of healthy advice givers on most of the time along with reading a lot of the posts.

Be prepared, the road to recovery takes a lot of work and changes to accomplish a healthy goal.

BE WELL
Old 08-24-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Like the others mentioned there are some online AA meetings which I've found helpful. I'm doing 90 meetings in 90 days and there's been a couple of times that I've got home really late from work and missed my evening meeting so it's cool to go online and find one.

This forum is a great place for support. I found that one of the most important things for me was changing up my routine. I identified by risky times of day and did something totally different to my usual habit. It's made those difficult days a lot easier.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Here's a link to the 'Big Book' in a PDF format, so you can start reading it straight away:

Alcoholics Anonymous : Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 08-24-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome reveal

I don't speak, write or read Serbian but the following link suggests you might at least be put in touch with other Serbian alcoholics here

Anonimni Alkoholicari Srbija

If you're a foreigner, not conversant in the language, or I've got it totally wrong, I hope you'll forgive me

There are other meeting based recovery groups like SMART and LifeRing around the world too - I'm sure Google will help there.

You'll always find support and ideas here in any case.

why not check out our Class of August support thread?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-15.html

D
This is a big reason I love SR