Notices

Round two

Old 08-22-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Round two

New comer here. Years ago I tried the alcohol sobriety thing and lasted about 40 days before I had an activating event and fell off the wagon.

I do not consider myself an alcoholic in the sense that i'm physically addicted or drink all the time. It is more of a mental thing where I cannot have fun or be relaxed in certain life situations without it.

Lately I have been drinking twice a week, but the issue is once I start I do not stop until I fall asleep. I am worried for my health and quality of life if I continue this way. I have noticed stagnation and indifference creeping into my life. I will embarrass myself in public when drunk. I always feel worn down physically and mentally, and my memory is starting to become garbage. Sometimes ill walk into a room and completely forget why I went there in the first place. Writing this post is almost a chore because I keep losing my train of thought.

I've done a lot of introspection and have identified what I consider the "problems" likely to cause me to drink again. I am hoping by posting on and frequenting this site I can maintain mental toughness and be strong enough to "say no" even when mentally worn down from work and the rigors and daily life.

Today is my day one after weekend of binge drinking.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Hasslehof

SR certainly helped me change my life and my outlook - I know we can help you too
Old 08-22-2015, 11:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Hassleoff, welcome to SR.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Hasseloff, we're glad you're here...however...

Your story sounds so...so familiar.

Stick around. This place has a way of "Rubbing off on you".

DD
Old 08-23-2015, 04:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.
Many years ago I wish I had the insights you posted which would have had me, I think, avoid many situations that became my slow undoing, alcohol.
Many refer to it as alcoholism and it comes in many flavors of which causes it to be not too attention getting, I call it now rationalization which tricks many into thinking “I’m not that bad.” Forgetting, or not knowing, that alcoholism is defiantly progressive every day if we drink it or not, never being cured just controlled if we work at it.

Working on it opens up a very wonderful dimension in our lives, if we let it and stay sober, sort of like achieving parts of the bucket list we work for.

BE WELL
Old 08-23-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

Welcome to SR, you'll find tons of support here. Feel free to read and post as much as you like.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome H. You've found a community with a ton of support.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Glad you found SR Hasslehof Welcome . It's good that your going to work on getting Sober , before your health gets worse or you get deeper into alcohol ! Never gets better the longer we are into it
Good luck on your journey - 1 day at a time
Old 08-23-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome.

This alcoholic didn't drink around the clock and wasn't physically addicted. But once I picked up one drink, all bets were off and I couldn't "control" my drinking. One black out and the fear of losing my job and apartment was enough to tell me I had a serious drinking problem, so I went to an AA meeting, where the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. That was almost 18 years ago and I've not had drink since.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the best decision you ever made.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I also wasn't physically addicted and didn't drink round the clock. And I was often able to trick myself with 'evidence' I didn't have a problem by stopping after just a few.

But the truth was that allowing any alcohol into my life was a gamble and sooner or later I'd be blacking out, arrested, acting foolish or endangering my life and others'.

I didn't consider myself 'an alcoholic' and even now as I draw near to 2 years sober I sometimes have a tough time with the word.

But I embrace sobriety regardless because whatever I call it, the facts of my own life demonstrate consistently over the course of 25+ years that alcohol doesn't do anything good for my life, that my life is far more rewarding sober, that I didn't always get in trouble drinking- but whenever I did get in trouble it involved drinking.

It has not been about mental toughness for me, it has been about giving in and acceptance. Accepting the hard evidence of my own experience. Accepting that it was only getting worse. Accepting that I was headed down the road to the hopeless alcoholic. Changing my life to embrace sobriety and accepting all the evidence that sobriety was a better way.

Toughness wasn't the answer for me, that only ever lead me back to a blackout. Being soft enough to accept help, making changes to my life, accepting that alcohol was stronger than me if I let it into my life and my body.

I have accepted and it has made my life so much better.

You can do this.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Hasselhof
Good for you for taking this step. My experience has been that if you think its a problem, it is. And that problem generally gets worse overtime, not better. If you're smarter than I am you will follow your instincts and remove the booze. I had to wait until it got very serious to do something about it. Some people never learn
Old 08-23-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bud