Notices

Hi, I'm new and trying to stop heroin

Old 09-02-2004, 12:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Hi, I'm new and trying to stop heroin

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I actually went through the heroin withdrawal, but my problem is stopping altogether. I still do it, but just not so many days in a row so that I will get sick if I don't do it (usually 3 or 4 days then I stop for a few days, then I do it again). I know I shouldn't be doing this, but it is so hard. Heroin use is all around me. My boyfriend, sister, and all of our friends do it, and even though I do want to stop, it seems impossible. If there are any other heroin users or ex-heroin users out there who want to talk or give me a few pointers, I'm all ears.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Running Blind

Welcome Missy721. Glad to have to here.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Truth is the only lasting joy

Staying stopped...

Peace Missy,
Just wanted to let you know that you can stop using, lose the desire to use and find a new way of life...
For too many years, heroin ran my life. I didn't want to do anything except shoot dope...As far as stopping was concerned, nothing I tried had any lasting effect and nobody could get me to stop. Jail, methadone, rehab, religion none of these was sufficient for me. I had to have drugs at all costs...

It wasn't until I was led to a group of addicts/junkies who were staying clean a day at a time, that I began to get the hope that I could stop using and stay stopped...
They told me that I had a disease that told me I didn't have a disease. In other words, my thinking was screwed up. I seemed to be able to make sense out of nonsense. I learned that as long as I was trying to control my addiction/using, I was going to fail everytime. How could I control something that I was powerless over?

So, I started hanging out with them (going to meetings, dances, etc.) and doing the things they did. Like you, everyone I knew used drugs, but I HAD TO SAVE MY LIFE...So, I got a new circle of friends who were not using and who wanted to help me in my recovery...A day at a time, I was able to abstain from using. I began to see the benefits of not using and my life started changing for the better....

I have not used since. That was almost 16 years ago. Anything we can do, you can do too...Give yourself a break (you deserve it), try the fellowship of Narcotics Anonymous. What have you got to lose? Maybe a dope habit?
Peace, your new friend Shakur
Old 09-02-2004, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A little south of sane

Location: "For peace of mind, we need to resign as general manager of the universe."
Hi Missy,

My son, Michael, is 26 years old is fighting a heroin addiction. He's currently just over 90 days clean. Michael tried many different ways to get clean. What has gotten him started on a good track was detox and then checking into the Salvation Army program (which is free).

Good luck with whatever choice you make. You're on the right track just wanting to fight this addiction.

hugs
sigh
Old 09-02-2004, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
an addict named Mike

My story is pretty similar to Shakur's. Narcotics anonymous has shown me a way to live and ENJOY life without drugs. H and other opiates were also my "drug of choice", and its been over 2 years for me without a drug. I had to make some changes and do some things I didn't always want to do, but everything was worth it. If you can't go on living like you've been living, go to www.na.org and check out a meeting in your area. People will make you feel at home. Love & Respect, Mike
Old 09-02-2004, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome! There is help, Shak gave you some good advice for starters. Keep coming back k?
Old 09-02-2004, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Ditto what Chy said about Shak.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Missy,
Like Shak said, it is possible to live without the use of drugs. I have found many new friends in the rooms of NA who are living just for today. That's how we stay clean, one day at a time. Keep coming back.

Sherry