Notices

I need support

Old 08-22-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
learning to live

Originally Posted by Karol View Post
I am not drinking today.
Hanging around here most of the time. Reading a book about art. Going to the movies with my brother in the evening. A little afraid of the withdrawals I am going to have: anxiety, insomnia and nightmares (if I eventually fall asleep).
I am so grateful for the support I am receiving here.
Thank you!
...just think of it like this....get through these few hard days and you will NEVER have to do this again! It'll be worth it!!!
Old 08-22-2015, 11:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi,
Just woke up to see the beginning of DAY 2. The first decision I made today: today I am not drinking.
The first night (as expected, gone through this many times) was not pleasant. Eventhough (quite suprisingly) I slept for 4 or 5 hours I had very vivid and strange dreams. For example, there was winter and a car skidded a few inches from me and almost running me down.

Anxiety and remorse.

Plan for today:
- breakfast
- TV - politicians and journalists comment major issues of the past week
- walk
- listen to podcasts
- lunch
- read a book I downloaded yesterday: "First Year of Sobriety"
- dinner
- news
- bed

Popping in SR in between.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am new to this group. There seems to be great support here to help you through this. I think it is helpful to know there are people who want to help you succeed !!
Old 08-23-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

What made you stay sober during first days of recovery? What is your advice when craving comes (I know it will, sooner or later)?
during my early days it was honestly just fear.

Fear of things getting even worse.

Fear, coupled with the support of AA and SR and consuming a lot of recovery focused stuff....

Gradually, fear began to shift to hope; hope that sobriety was not only something I HAD to do, but something that would be far more rewarding.

Then hope shifted to beleif.... An honest belief that sobriety was a better way, more rich and rewarding and wonderful.

And now it is understanding and knowledge: that my life has immeasurably improved, that I am happier and more whole, more present and a better person. I am able to live honorably and with pride and confidence about who I am.

So, begin with whatever works to simply NOT DRINK...

But keep deepening from there, because not drinking is only the first part. The really great stuff comes from becoming sober.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
learning to live

Sounds like an awesome plan to me!

I am sorry you have such vivid bad dreams. Those will lessen with time. They happen to me...I just tell myself that is my brain working on overdrive healing

Keep going Karol. You deserve some sanity in your life
Old 08-23-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
learning to live

What made you stay sober during first days of recovery?
What is your advice when craving comes (I know it will, sooner or later)?
In early sobriety it is all about just healing and learning who I was.

When I first got sober I was living a WHOLE a new life, really. Every day was a surprise because all I had done was drink for so long, I did not know anything else. What a sad life. But, when I put down the drink everything was new!

I was so happy I could finally engage in the life I so often dreamed about but could not do because I was drinking my life away alone! Such things as, even going to a fast food restaurant or a certain retail store was a big new thing for me I enjoyed learning about me each day. I enjoyed learning about me! I had no idea who I was anymore after being in the bottle and work for 10 years!

I see you like to read that is one thing I enjoy too. I filled my evenings with that and cooking a nice healthy dinner. I would lay in bed an hour or two before bed time and watch silly shows or browse my phone for articles on the internet. I would go to craft stores and pick up new hobby ideas...some were failures and some were a success. It was fun trying I also got involved in the gym. Just getting out and surrounding myself with people helped. I started going to church. I took some yoga & spin classes. Point is in early recovery you do what you want to do now. I was now FREE! and so are YOU!!! I tried SMART meetings and AA and met a lot of people with the same goals as me in sobriety. That helps a lot. Along with SR, of course! The chains of addiction hold us back but now in early recovery you are free to live your life!! Yay!!

Cravings, yes. That is good that you are not naïve in the fact they will come. But, good news, they only last about ten minutes. Have you read Rational Recovery? You should, it makes you look at the craving in a whole new light. We are in charge to either act or not on that craving.

This is where your plan comes in. It'll take some time to learn and all but what I suggest is...each time one of those BAD cravings come grab your notebook...wait it out through whatever you need to do. Eating helps me a lot to get through...you like to walk, go for a walk, grab a book, google alcohol dependency..whatever..you will learn in time what helps you.
Anyway, make it through the other side of that craving and that is all....IT WILL PASS...then write in your plan book:
1. what emotion set off the craving
2. what you did to make it through
Then, when that craving revisits you will be prepared with the tools needed to come out on the other side sober AND STRONGER

Remember, HALT..hungry, angry, lonely, tired...all of these things set you up for a craving...try to avoid all. Incorporate in your plan how you will avoid them all!

You can do this Karol and congrats on making it this far!!! I liked how you said "I know I can do this" in an earlier post! You are 100% correct!!
Old 08-23-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

What helped me in the beginning was immersing myself in recovery. I came here and read a lot and started educating myself. Knowledge is power. I really took it seriously and made a plan. I used (and still use) AVRT. I also play the tape and used the nasty memories to help me through the cravings. I always keep in mind that cravings pass and when they came I was prepared and had some type of distraction ready.

Deciding is the first step. Do the work and it will pay off.

We are with you!!!
Old 08-23-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Karol, libbylu, welcome to the forum!

Congrats on 2nd day, Karol, great plan! Deep breaths and onwards.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hang in there Carol! You are going to do this! Stay strong!
Old 08-23-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Karol nice to meet you youl find so much helpful support here
Old 08-24-2015, 01:54 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thank you all for all support I have been receiving thus far.
I am on DAY 3 of sobriety with quite a simple commitment: I am not drinking TODAY. Made a plan for today and sticking to it.
Im quite busy currently, later on I will share some of my thoughts and ask a few questions that apeared in the meantime.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Do your best

You are doing amazing Karol
Old 08-24-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi All,
Day 3 is slowly coming to an end at my time zone. I am really happy to say that number 1 on my agenda for TODAY (not drink!) simply works!
Have not been able do all secondary things I have planned for today because I am simply very tired. I'm still going throug some withdrawals, fortunately nothing major, but still last night I half-slept only 4 hours. So, cleaning up my kitchen has to wait...
Anyway, I decided that part of my plan for the evening(s) - the most critical part of the day - will now be "immersion in recovery" by reading threads on SR and books about recovery.

BTW: I have a question about HALT:
Hungry - that is easy to be managed
Angry - rarely a problem for me, but still can be an issue
Lonely - that is something that also I have some ideas how to cope with
Tired - this is something that worries me the most:
I usually come back from work quite tired and I treated drinking as a 'reward' at the end of the day. To the point:
During the recovery process I don't really know how to approach this issue.
If I try to fill the empty time so as not to stay idle, I get even more tired (nevermind I do physical or mental effort) and I'm afraid that I may want the 'reward' even more.
On the other hand, If I get some rest like lying on the sofa I really get relaxed after an hour or two BUT have more time to 'thinking' about different things and from previous experience I know that too much 'thinking' can eventually lead me to a liquor store.
I don't know if I expressed myself clearly enough (i'm not a native speaker of English) but hope you understand what I mean.
I wonder what your advice would be.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
learning to live

Hey Karol!

You're doing great!

Tired - let's see. Just look at it like this; if you're tired just let yourself, be. Like take it easy. Don't push yourself too hard.

This simply means don't confuse an emotion or feeling with that of wanting to drink. A lot of the time when we are tired, angry, sad etc it's easy to not focus on the big picture here which is to not drink.

Just remember if you are tired, angry, lonely etc one day and just not feeling life and positive things just know tomorrow won't be the same. One feeling or day doesn't define where our life will lead. As I read here the difference between a good day and a bad day is a day.

When I am tired I don't commit to things and I allow myself to just sit and relax. It's what's my body and mind need.

Keep it up!! I'm proud of you!!
Old 08-24-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

How is it going Karol? I hope well. Let us know.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Oops. Sorry Karol. You DID let us know. Thanks and I am so glad it sounds like things are going great. So so happy for you. What a great thing you have done for yourself.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Do you get regular exercise Karol? My best remedy for tired is 15 minutes to 2 hours of exercise. Nothing fancy. Vigorous walking counts. If you are tired get up and walk very briskly for 15 minutes. It is an energy boost like you would not believe. If that is not an option I would hop onto SR, or even try something like Lumosity. Mental gymnastics and games really wake up your brain and body too.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found different rewards Karol - maybe a DVD to watch or a CD to listen too, a special meal.

After a while I found I didn't need rewards so much - living right becomes its own reward, really

D
Old 08-25-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

DAY 4
Sober and plan on staying this way till the end of the day.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I am really late welcoming you to SR, Karol.

Welcome!!!!

Congratulations on Day 4.