Notices

Amazing TED talk on addiction + my story

Old 08-21-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Amazing TED talk on addiction + my story

I just watched this TED talk on addition by Johann Harri, but I can't post a link.

I found a lot of personal truth in it. Not saying that you will as well, but just wanted to share. I joined this forum to share my story and find support, encouragement, and insights into recovery.

Alcohol helped me cope with PTSD after a flashback of being molested when I was a child (I was drugged so I don't remember any details of the abuse) but then became a crutch for whenever things went wrong...and then whenever things went right....and then whenever things went at all. I've never lost a job because of it but I've certainly lost friendships, as well as damaged my physical, mental and emotional health and I know I need to quit permanently. Alcohol doesn't even taste good anymore, as I've spent too many mornings sick and not functioning (I'm currently unemployed). I have put myself and others in ridiculously high risk situations because of an alcohol addled mind, which I can see as selfish when I'm not drinking, but let impulsivity and craving a rush take over when I am. I also wonder if I'm addicted to risk, or if I'm one of those people who is just easily addicted to things, as alcohol has always been my go to but not my only escape. This TED talk (as well as another I watched before on failure (which I've been focusing too much on for the last 18 months) reminded me that depression, low self esteem and disconnectedness fuel my addiction. I feel like I just can't handle my life sometimes but I know I can. I am loved by family and friends and want to be the person I know I have the capacity to be.

Anyway, I joined this forum to finally make a clean break and stick to it...I feel empowered saying this time it will actually work.

Thanks for reading this long post...feel free to say hi anytime.

Tulsi

Last edited by tulsi69; 08-21-2015 at 06:59 PM. Reason: no links allowed...
Old 08-21-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Tulsy, welcome! Great attitude, you have everything it takes to turn your life in the right direction.

You'll be able to post links after you have a few more posts. Here's the TED talk link: Johann Hari: Everything you think you know about addiction is wrong | TED Talk | TED.com
Old 08-21-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 08-21-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Really enjoyed listening to the talk, thank you! He definitely has a very good point.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Tulsy! Thanks for sharing the TED talk. I'm quite a fan of the talks and haven't seen this one.

Looking forward to seeing you here.

Delfin