Notices

Relearning Life

Old 08-21-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relearning Life

When I was struggling to quit smoking, I read and read and read. As a smoker, having a cigarette was always a reward at the end of a job. For example, done doing dishes, have a cig. Finished cleaning the bathroom, have a cig. Eat a meal, have a cig. Drive from point A to point B, have a cig. It was like the period at the end of the sentence. I had to relearn how to do all the things I did during the day, without the period. It took practice, and time, and its only been 8 months, but I can totally function without one, even while living with a smoker.

Drinking was a little harder. That started in my teen years, started every weekend, and gradually became every night. It was "my relax time". "Me time." But I am applying the same principles, changing my nightly rituals, remembering the stumbling, the repeating myself to my kids, embarassment, asking my kids to go grab me a beer, and the headaches, tiredness, and slugish feeling that I thought was normal.

They're both addictions, and I am being proactive every day. I stumbled once, on the 4th of July which i regret tremendously. Without that stumble I would have been over 100 days, but now I will be reaching 50 on Sunday.

I just felt like I needed to get that out. Going from the teen years, into adult drinking so much, I never did those important things like get a good job, save and buy a house, get a new car. I know those are just things, but by this age (40's) I should be way better off than I am.

My plan is to at least have a better second half of my life, than I did in the first half. There's a fine line between "partying" and "alcoholism" and I don't want to go back.

Sorry this is long and thanks to anyone who reads it.
Have a great night!!
Old 08-21-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good post, thanks, Sagittarius, and congratulations on your 50 days sober on Sunday.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on fifty days sober!
Old 08-21-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Sounds like you have a Great plan going Sagittarius, Nice work on 50 days !
Old 08-21-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Right there with you on being proactive making all the difference in turning a few days sobriety into full-on recovery. So glad your stumble didn't become a fall, my friend. You are doing great.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 48 days Sagittarius!
I think it's awesome you made a goal for living a second better half.
The awesome thing about the stumble is you learned from it and it has made you stronger. Thank you for your inspiring post!
Old 08-21-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post Sagittarius
congrats on nearly 50

D