Notices

My resolve seems to be failing

Old 08-20-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks!!
Old 08-20-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
I am asking earnestly - what can I do to "make new memories" and "do something to commemorate the anniversary" in a positive way? I don't seem to be able to come up with anything at the moment.
Art I often do a "Dad thing" on the anniversary of his death. I'm a cook and foodie but my Dad was a real meat and potatoes man, I sometimes cook a "Dad meal" for dinner on that day. Dad was into astronomy and space travel -- which I'm not -- but on that day I might look up what's happening in one or both of those areas and think about what he would have made of it.

I'll get out old photos of us and look at them, I have some of his books on my shelves and I read bits of those sometimes.

What I'm doing is remembering the man my Dad was, what we had together instead of focusing on only his death. I had my Dad for 44 years of my life, he was a wonderful and clever man so there is a lot to remember.

Instead of that day in July being Dad's Death Day it's become Dad's Day to me.

ETA I've been meaning for years to go to Dad's old workplace on Dad's Day to see the new developments, this has prompted me to write to them to get permission to go.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

What are your favorite memories of your mom and grandma, AF? Or what traits would you use to describe each of them? You could incorporate that information into your plans to commemorate the day.

Did either of them like animals? If so, maybe you could visit an aquarium (if you have one nearby) or stop by a shelter and pet/play with animals (you could even drop off a small donation). Or if your mom or grandmother liked the arts, you could check out an art museum, or pick up a bunch of supplies to create something special for yourself. If your mom and grandma were brave women, consider making a list of all of the ways that you're brave, too. If they were kind, you might make an effort to say kind things to everyone you encounter that day.

Be kind to yourself, too. If your friends aren't available to talk, come here and post stories about your mom and grandma (I'd love to hear them!). Make sure you eat good meals throughout the day. Get out of the house and into the fresh air/sunshine. Maybe go to a coffee shop for a truly decadent latte or tea.

Above all else, remove the possibility of drinking from the table--it just can't be an option.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
...holds the key

(((Art))) hugs are all I can offer right now but I just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you at this really difficult time. Some really neat ideas here, too.
Xoxo
Old 08-20-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
😇

Art-I was having a hard time getting into inpatient on my own and the assessing clinic wasn't much help. I got with my primary Dr and she took care of it. Even had it approved with my insurance (special approval since I had already been in this year). I know if my Dr didn't help there were other people I could contact that would make it happen.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
I am asking earnestly - what can I do to "make new memories" and "do something to commemorate the anniversary" in a positive way? I don't seem to be able to come up with anything at the moment.
When my uncle died, we scattered his ashes along with wildflower seeds. Now every time I see wild flowers I think of him.
Do you have room to plant a tree? I have a lovely bush in my backyard that represents my sobriety. It gives me comfort. I think a tree or something like for someone in my life that was gone would do much the same thing.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!