Notices

Time and my upcoming trip

Old 08-20-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time and my upcoming trip

So, I miscounted the days since my last drink and technically, this is my two weeks! I was thinking this morning about how different time seems to me now that I'm not drinking or on drugs pretty much 24/7. My last two months in Cleveland went by in what felt like the blink of an eye. The last two weeks at home in the country have crawled past at a snail's pace, comparatively.

I've gotten a lot done in the last two weeks for myself and my health. I've been eating nothing but healthy food and water, trying to ride my bike on average about 15 miles a day, hitting the gym every other day, swimming as often as possible, getting my car and bike fixed up, dealing with paperwork that I've put off for a very long time, spending quality time with my folks and such. Yesterday, I mailed off the request for information for my birth parents (I'm adopted) which is a huge step for me. I think I've been trying to fill that hole with substances for the last 16 years.

Next week comes the real test. I'm considering moving to San Diego so I can have this weather year-round. My best friend from college lives in Encinitas and her and her boyfriend are going to Burning Man next week. I will be house/puppy sitting for them and I have a week and a half by myself, in paradise. I can't wait to explore a new city and I possibly might have a job interview out there already. I'm super excited, but it will definitely be a challenge to my sobriety. Sitting here in the house I grew up in with my parents, it's a breeze to stay sober. I have no friends here. San Diego will be a test. My mental approach is that if I plan on living a sober life, then I should test out SD as a sober person and not a drunk, like the last few cities I've lived in. Anyone have more to add? I'll be hanging out with my friend the first and last couple days of the trip, I think being alone might actually make it easier for me to concentrate on why I'm out there and not screw around with partying.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the two weeks.

San Diego sounds fun! Good luck on the job interview. I moved from Ohio to California many years ago, in my early twenties - with no job and just a dream. Drove across country with all my worldly possessions in the back of my pickup. There were a few months of eating Top Ramen, but it all worked out.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

San Diego is a beautiful city and you can walk for miles along the ocean. That in itself should be a reason to stay sober and present. It sounds like you're looking forward to the changes in your life, so just stay focused on recovery and enjoy your new city.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberInOhio View Post
Anyone have more to add? I'll be hanging out with my friend the first and last couple days of the trip, I think being alone might actually make it easier for me to concentrate on why I'm out there and not screw around with partying.
My experience is that an alcoholic of my variety can't quite drinking on their own. There's probably a butt-load of AA meetings in SD. Get to at least one every day and talk to people.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I... should have mentioned, I'm attempting this without AA. *ducks* ;-)
Old 08-20-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marcher

Congrats on 2 weeks, SoberInOhio! I hope you have a great time in San Diego. I love, love, love the beach. Wonderful place for breathing, taking in life and meditation.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 2 weeks there are other options not just AA I think having a plan is vital
Old 08-20-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I spent the last two months of my old life visualizing and preparing myself mentally for this in my sober-ish hours on the bike. And getting myself out of a drinking neighborhood was huge. I think SoCal is a lot more conducive to a healthy lifestyle than my last residence. And I have wicked seasonal depression so taking that out of the picture seems to be an ideal way for me to live. Now, let's just hope that El Nino doesn't cause massive flooding and landslides in Cali this winter...
Old 08-20-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've spent my fair share of partying days in SD... from LaJolla to O'side.

Plenty of opportunity for T-R-O-U-B-L-E all through that area for sure if you're a person who has struggled with addiction.

On the other hand, I've spent several sober good times out there, too since my journey of sobriety began. Go surf, snorkel, hit the zoo, coffee and a book on the boardwalk, rent a beach cruiser.... run... Torrey Pines for some golf.... there's a LOT of wonderful to be had out there.

Enjoy and STAY SOBER!!
Old 08-20-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

California helped my sobriety. There were more options for social activities that didn't revolve around alcohol. I hope you find it to be a good environment too.

If you decide to move, expect that finding friends will be a challenge. I highly recommend giving AA a try as a way to meet new people.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberInOhio View Post
I... should have mentioned, I'm attempting this without AA. *ducks* ;-)
There are SMART meetings in San Diego if you are going that route. Moonlight beach in encinitas is nice. Stay AWAY from pacific or ocean beach, party meccas. There is sooo much to see and do here! Eat at swamis cafe encinitas, yum lots of yoga here.too, and walking/running trails all over the county. Dont worry about landslides. Have been evacuated for fires several times though.