Notices

A final attempt and positivity

Old 08-19-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A final attempt and positivity

Hey all,
Looking back at my past posts I realize many of you will remember me. I'm that guy that keeps saying he is quitting and then doesn't quit.

I went 29 days in April/May. Felt great and then decided I could be a "normal" drinker and went to a beer festival and fell right back into it.

Several times in June and July I quit forever. For no more than 5 days at a time. There was a rock bottom drunk bicycling moment in there that kicked off one of those dry spells.

But monday I woke up with a terrible hangover and decided it is my last. I sent a long email to my wife (because I was at work and more because I wanted some written record of my desires) telling her I need to quit, and I need her help.

Long story short, this is it. I've gotten into this kick of listening to audiobooks while riding my bike (26 mile round trip commute to work 4 days a week) and have ingested Dry and half of Blackout so far (both phenomenal reads, and both such eye openers to my alcoholic ways).

I plan on attending meetings, and keeping an open and honest dialogue with my wife. And with all of you. So many great people here. Overall I am becoming healthier. Inside and outside. I can feel it, I want it.

Here's to three days sober and the beginning of the rest of my sober life. You'll be hearing a lot more from me

~(Recovering) Beeraholic
Old 08-19-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. Your positive attitude will be a strong asset.

Ps...that's a lot of biking!
Old 08-19-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JK130 View Post
Welcome. Your positive attitude will be a strong asset.

Ps...that's a lot of biking!
Thank you!.

I ride about 100 miles a week or so. If I had been sober every weekend and not hungover so much I bet that number would be over 150. One of the main motivators in becoming sober is my inability to not drink on weekends and miss out on 40-50 mile rides I plan for myself because I felt crappy.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like this is the start of something good beeraholic

D
Old 08-19-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Beeraholic, and congrats on 3 days. Sounds like you have some good plans in place moving forward, hope you stick around here too!
Old 08-19-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Way to go on the biking and good luck on your sobriety. Meetings will definitely help. Willpower alone usually isn't enough.. ask me how I know that, lol. We alcoholics get 30, 60 ,90 days in and feel better. The ego (AV) starts telling us we don't have a problem.. meetings or other face to face is often essential if you want to make it stick..
Old 08-19-2015, 10:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Recovering Beeraholic,

Something about you is familiar... I know! It's the fact that I was the gal who kept saying she was quitting and then didn't quit.

Anyhow, it's great to have you back here for your last quit. It's my last quit too. Let's make it a good one.

Delfin
Old 08-19-2015, 11:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hugs beer. You can do this.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've read both of those too! The Girl on the Train is good as an audio book too, do u use audible? I do, it's fab!

Well done on all of that cycling, that's impressive!

Good luck with your sober days : )
Old 08-20-2015, 12:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foreverfuzzy View Post
I've read both of those too! The Girl on the Train is good as an audio book too, do u use audible? I do, it's fab! Well done on all of that cycling, that's impressive! Good luck with your sober days : )
I'll have to check out girl in a train. Yes, I use audible. It's amazing. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2015, 02:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

final attempt? imho, saying that already is a negative...

after having failed too many times you declare that this is your "final attempt"?
Meaning you already know you are not going to succeed. Am I wrong?

Throw away the word ATTEMPT. Don't give yourself an out.
Just do it!
Old 08-20-2015, 02:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with LBrain. When I finally "went all in" with my chips, I had no other option but sobriety. And it's been the best bet I made on myself -EVER. Sounds like you're in the right frame of mind. . . So why not go all in with us?!
Old 08-20-2015, 02:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I believe he meant this time he plans to make it stick.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Advbike- to your point, there is great hope in the OP. What we're saying (LBrain - I hope I'm not being too presumptuous here ) is that there is a different mindset when one attempts to do something vs actually doing it. For example, I attempted to stop drinking, and at best, that lasted only a few weeks. But when I chose sobriety, not only did I have to stop drinking, but I had to pay attention to the reasons why I drank in the first place and create a plan to prevent it from happening again. In my sobriety, drinking is not an option. While life is so much better than it was 8 months ago, realistically, it's hard sometimes. Being fully committed means that, in those hard times, I will do whatever it takes to remain on my recovery path. There's no attempting to do so.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I would say that final attempt wasn't meant at all negatively. It was me saying "I'm not drinking anymore." I suppose I could have worded it this way.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you're back, and heck yeah on the riding! It's been stupid hot where I live... looking forward to it easing up so I can get back on my bike and not feel like a dried out piece of fruit leather! 100 miles a week is really great!