Notices

25 months tomorrow

Old 08-19-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

25 months tomorrow

My monthly reminder to myself and maybe a glimmer of hope for the ones who are struggling to get going. Ups and downs over these two years but mostly up. Not always easy but a better life in so many ways. Two years of remembering where I have been, what I said and not waking up in a place that I don't recognize. Hang in there folks and remember, the day you decide that the desire to not drink is the new normal and the questioning of why anyone would want to even be a social drinker is on your mind, that's the day you have arrived. Don't believe me; Well, got my first drunk on wine with a friend at age 12. Drank off and on for most of my teenage years and was a full blown alcoholic by age 20. Tried to quit more times than I can count, even had one year of sobriety in 1996 and then went back on the bottle. Not this time though, because this time I'm doing it completely different. I made a mental inventory and a decision that I don't want to drink and that I don't want to be a slave to the bottle no more.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats! Very excited for you, 25 months is amazing.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations tnman! 25 months is fantastic!
Old 08-19-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats tnman

D
Old 08-19-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats, Tnman!
Old 08-19-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Old 08-19-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

tnman - wow - 25 months is fantastic. Congratulations!!!!!
Old 08-19-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wonderful! How do you feel?
Old 08-19-2015, 09:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Great job, TNman!!!

I totally agree with your point about attitude. It is so much easier when you want and value sobriety. If you are feeling deprived by not drinking, it's going to be tough.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's great!
Old 08-20-2015, 02:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Way to go tnman! Really a great job.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done that is fantastic to hear. Still not sure how to get to that place where I don't feel like I am missing out on something. I know it's all a lie and I really am not missing anything worth having. Early days yet so hopefully in time and with work I will get there.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on 25 months of a new life!
Old 08-20-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 08-20-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JK130 View Post
Wonderful! How do you feel?
Exactly that, wonderful!
Old 08-20-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DitzyDandelion View Post
Well done that is fantastic to hear. Still not sure how to get to that place where I don't feel like I am missing out on something. I know it's all a lie and I really am not missing anything worth having. Early days yet so hopefully in time and with work I will get there.
Yes, it's by no means easy, especially not in the beginning. You have to realize that I'm almost 50 years old and had over 30 years of alcohol abuse behind me. I had DUI's, Public intoxication charge, marriage problems, memory loss, embarrassing episodes in front of family, severe anxiety, and on and on. After a while it just clicked, that it was time to grow up and face the addiction or I would end up dead prematurely. And let's be honest, what fun is it to sit in a bar or at home gulping down alcohol in order to numb yourself. I had so many plans in life that never got anywhere due to the booze. So sit down, pray about it if you are religious or just mediate and you will find that all the drinkers are the losers not you. Put that drink down and brush yourself off for a better life. Not easy, takes willpower, takes stamina to fight cravings now and then and most of all, you probably will have to sever some bad relationships and friendships and stop hanging around bars and such. Good luck to you, you can do it.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

25 months - what good news, tnman. Thanks for the helpful & supportive words for those struggling.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

well done!
Old 08-20-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

tnman 25 months - Way to Go !! Great post
Old 08-20-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tnman1967 View Post
Yes, it's by no means easy, especially not in the beginning. You have to realize that I'm almost 50 years old and had over 30 years of alcohol abuse behind me. I had DUI's, Public intoxication charge, marriage problems, memory loss, embarrassing episodes in front of family, severe anxiety, and on and on. After a while it just clicked, that it was time to grow up and face the addiction or I would end up dead prematurely. And let's be honest, what fun is it to sit in a bar or at home gulping down alcohol in order to numb yourself. I had so many plans in life that never got anywhere due to the booze. So sit down, pray about it if you are religious or just mediate and you will find that all the drinkers are the losers not you. Put that drink down and brush yourself off for a better life. Not easy, takes willpower, takes stamina to fight cravings now and then and most of all, you probably will have to sever some bad relationships and friendships and stop hanging around bars and such. Good luck to you, you can do it.
Well not been to bars in years and cut off my last drinking buddy (my ex) before deciding to stop myself. So luckily while many family members and friends like a drink they are people who care for me and have a relationship with me not based on drinking. They are perfectly happy to be a bit gentle with me and not put me in difficult situations. It's more the lonely sad cravings or even worse the days I feel I accomplished something and want to treat myself. I know it's silly cause how is basically ruining a good day a treat huh? I do know it would end up ruining the good moment, always does. I just know it is those moments I have to be on guard for.