Notices

6 Month Journey So Far

Old 08-18-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

6 Month Journey So Far

It will be 6 months now since I stopped drinking on the 24th and I just wanted to post. It seems like much longer and so much has happened to me.

I moved to a new community
I have got involved in my new community and participate in community events
My 10 year old dog died
My mom, dad, sister (entire family) moved 3,000 km away after I had moved back to this province
I made new friends and reconnected with old friends
I attended many functions where booze was flowing and never drank
I volunteer for some events
I hosted a few parties, people brought booze, I drank non-alcoholic drinks
I adopted an old dog
I am working on my separation agreement
I am living alone for the first time in over 30 years
I'm trying online dating but find it very tedious
Sometimes I feel very lonely and I'm scared

I don't know where I'd be if I was still drinking. Most of the time I don't miss drinking. Occasionally, I think it would be nice to have a glass or two with my girlfriends but I was in such a dark, dark place when I decided to quit that even one drink would be stupid and only lead me into danger.

I quit drinking on my own and the only support I'm using is the SR forum. It has helped me very much, especially reading the success stories and the terrible relapse ones. I know it could easily be me typing out a relapse post - I hope not because I do not ever want another Day 1.

I am still struggling a lot. I can't seem to find my musical muse. I used to play guitar and sing all the time and it gave me great joy, but I can't seem to find that spark anymore and I miss it. I also can't seem to read a book anymore. I used to be such an avid reader. I know I have to exercise and I'm having difficulty getting motivation for that. When I am with friends and involved in something I am happy but the instant that is removed I feel lost and flounder. Friends tell me that I've been through a lot in the last year and half and that what I am experiencing is normal. I guess it takes time to find your place and get your legs under you and it's so different to be a middle-aged woman than a young 20 something. Doors don't open as quickly and some are firmly shut. I don't think I am depressed in the clinical sense, just depressed because I missed out on so many years in a miserable marriage and I have ideas and now find that I don't have the youth to pursue them.

As an aside here - something really interesting about online dating. I put myself down as never drinking and the majority of men are looking for a partner who drinks because um....wine tasting. That seems to be the thing these days. That an enjoying a drink on the patio, restaurant, bar, etc. etc. Lots of drinking going on.

I PLAN on writing another post in another 6 months that says yippee 1 year sober.

CF
Old 08-18-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Whoa...That's quite alot moving parts in the past 6 months.

I'm just a bit ahead of you...At 7 months and my life has been full of change and moving parts too.

And like you i've been sober to experience and live every second of it.

You're doing well. Your post made me smile.

Good luck to you.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on six months sober!! And thank you for adopting an older dog. They often have a hard time getting homes due to age. I like adopting older dogs and giving them a good life in their golden years.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 months! That's an awesome accomplishment. I'm half-way there at 3 months today and I, too, have a lot of moving parts. You're doing a great job. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome Calicofish
Old 08-18-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Calicofish, congratulations on 6 months of recovery. You've clearly changed things in your life in those months and I'm glad you're finding your way.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

I forgot to add that I also had a birthday and celebrated without drinking. So to those who have birthday's coming up, you can get through it without drinking.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations - and happy birthday calicofish

D
Old 08-18-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
under new management

Congratulations on 6 months, CF!!!

I am at 8 months and 18 days but have had nowhere near the amount of changes and action in my new sober life as you have had, so hats off to you!

I, too, look forward to counting years instead of monthaversaries

And Happy, Happy Birthday!

Last edited by 2ndhandrose; 08-18-2015 at 03:22 PM. Reason: adding happy birthday!
Old 08-18-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

6 months - how wonderful, calico. Things will continue to get better - and calmer I hope.