Notices

How do you deal with rough days?

Old 08-17-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you deal with rough days?

Having a rough today for a certain reason, which I know won't let up until tomorrow comes. Wish it was already over, and it's not even noon yet.

What do you do during days like this? Anything special to break yourself out of it?
Old 08-17-2015, 09:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Troy

It was bit of a revelation for me when I realised ...I don't have to do anything.

Bad days come, and they go...and they're much better than the bad weeks or
months I used to have as a drinker.

I'm not trying to diminish your feelings, either

I found that with any sort of problem or situation, I made sure I did all I could, then I left the rest in the hands of fate, God, tomorrow...whoever.

Me worrying about stuff never changed the outcome.

Try and keep yourself occupied, maybe do something nice for yourself today.

Best wishes with whatever is going on

D
Old 08-17-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nah, I'll be fine, having a coffee now, and won't drink today. It's just... it's my birthday today, that's all.

I've gotten used to being alone now, and am usually totally fine with it. Days like today are bit of an exception though.

Anyway, sorry. Back to work.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's nothing wrong with wanting a little special stuff on your birthday

I've had a few alone birthdays myself - go treat yourself to a meal, CD, book or something

and Happy Birthday - hope this year is your best year yet

D
Old 08-17-2015, 10:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Troy. I hope you feel better soon. We're thinking of ya.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Happy birthday!
Old 08-17-2015, 10:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Happy birthday Troy I've had some alone birthday's too why not treat yourself to something new like a new piece of clothing
Old 08-17-2015, 11:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday, Troy!

I know how an alone bday feels, I'm sorry you're feeling lonely....

....Sending a cyber cake to you right now with 90 different flavor layers and sparklers coming out of it! And every single kind of ice cream you can imagine for you to go swimming in, mmmmm!!

Old 08-17-2015, 11:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Troy! I agree with the treat yourself idea. Go buy a new album or some clothes or a book. If money is tight, do something free- go for a nice bike ride or walk/run. See if there are any free activities happening in your area, a concert series or book reading. Go for an ice crew, that's not too expensive.
Take care of yourself today and know that by staying sober you are giving yourself the very best gift ever.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Earth Child

i hope you have a sober day
i agree get your self something nice
Old 08-18-2015, 01:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I discovered in early recovery, which I hated, that rough days were not the exception to the norm, but just another weave in the tapestry.

Most non-drinkers seem to have grasped this little fact. They have their rough days and bad moments, and just get on with it. They don't turn bad days into a catastrophe. I did when I drank.

When I drank and I hit a rough patch, I was convinced I could not endure it. I had to avoid the discomfort of it and drank to become numb. It worked!

That gets back to why I hated early recovery. There was life, smack in my face and I had nothing to numb me. Eventually though, with the help of a program, a good addictions therapist and lots of reading, I learned to "sit through" it. The rough moments. I discovered first that they don't last all that long. Often the negative feelings associated with problems don't last more than a few seconds.
And, as time went on and I worked more with my recovery program, I began to redefine what problems actually are, to me.
Lots of the things I defined as problems when I drank I no longer define as problems and am no longer upset by them.
The things I do define as problems, I am learning, even now after 5 years of recovery, to place in my path and see them as opportunities for me to grow.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday...
Old 08-18-2015, 01:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday
Old 08-18-2015, 01:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday
Old 08-18-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. You put a smile on my face, and I appreciate it.

Nah, didn't do anything special for myself. I'm a pretty simple kind of guy. Cooked up some steaks for my boys though, so it was a nice treat for them, as they usually only get pork or chicken for hot meals. Would give them steak more often, but the pigs would put down 6 steaks each if I let them, so not happening. Pork and chicken are cheaper.

My dogs are meat-aholics I tell ya. Should try to get them into a MA program, maybe.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Happy birthday late Troy! Your post reminded me of this video.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday,
To answer your original question, when having a rough day, I just remember that there's no situation that drinking wouldn't ultimately just make worse. Not worth the short term relief.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks ArtFriend, love that video. Always gives me a chuckle.

Here's another I like:

Old 08-18-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Awwww Tank is so guilty! Cute!
Old 08-18-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
I discovered in early recovery, which I hated, that rough days were not the exception to the norm, but just another weave in the tapestry.

Most non-drinkers seem to have grasped this little fact. They have their rough days and bad moments, and just get on with it. They don't turn bad days into a catastrophe. I did when I drank.

When I drank and I hit a rough patch, I was convinced I could not endure it. I had to avoid the discomfort of it and drank to become numb. It worked!

That gets back to why I hated early recovery. There was life, smack in my face and I had nothing to numb me. Eventually though, with the help of a program, a good addictions therapist and lots of reading, I learned to "sit through" it. The rough moments. I discovered first that they don't last all that long. Often the negative feelings associated with problems don't last more than a few seconds.
And, as time went on and I worked more with my recovery program, I began to redefine what problems actually are, to me.
Lots of the things I defined as problems when I drank I no longer define as problems and am no longer upset by them.
The things I do define as problems, I am learning, even now after 5 years of recovery, to place in my path and see them as opportunities for me to grow.

This is EXCELLENT advice... many thanks LittleFish... this is SO me, as well.

Happy birthday Troy!