Notices

Is moderation a "thing" here ?

Old 08-17-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Ive been thinkin lately there should be huge stickie with links to threads on the subject and also linksto threads from people that tried to moderate.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
Ive been thinkin lately there should be huge stickie with links to threads on the subject and also linksto threads from people that tried to moderate.
That may require an entirely different website because of the volume of epic fails. I know I'm good for 2 to 3 pages just by myself
Old 08-17-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

i got quite a bit of negativity when i proposed i moderate on here (yes, i understand why). those threads/stickies sound really helpful to be honest.
on a side note, i managed to moderate for my set 3 months. admittedly, i was then meant to give it up completely and that hasnt worked out but i am still moderating nicely. and much happier for it (although im sure sobriety would be better).
Old 08-17-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I definitely have to weigh in on the side that moderation will not work in the long run for an alcoholic / addict.

I've had to learn through many times trying to moderate. Each time, I was just setting myself up for failure. Each day that passed, I would convince myself that it was ok to drink more than the day before.

Ultimately I ended up convincing myself that there was nothing wrong with drinking at 9 am, before church functions, before school functions with my kids, before anything and everything. I know I'm not alone in this wisdom of an alcoholic.

I can only speak for myself, but I truly hope other's listen to those of us that have tried and failed... time and time and time again.

I can tell myself that I can moderate today, but I know down deep that I will drink more tomorrow, then the next, then the next... Who knows when you will run out of tomorrow's.

I know this, when I was drinking, odds are I run out of tomorrows a hell of a lot sooner than when I'm sober. And I'm much happier being sober too.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
That may require an entirely different website because of the volume of epic fails. I know I'm good for 2 to 3 pages just by myself
Me too. At least I have good company!
Old 08-17-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
Moderation is exhausting!!!

I have better things to do than obsess over l when, how much, how long, etc.
This is what I think it would be like. I have been off the drink for a week but on Saturday its my best friends wedding in Spain - I'm her bridesmaid and she wants me to have a fizz to toast (from the free bar)!

I can try but to be honest I am not relishing the prospect of having a drink - I am tired just at the very thought of having one, two or even three drinks then having to "white knuckle" it through the rest of the night. Having none just seems simpler.

Yuck. Hopefully I can just eat all round me.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by smadams11 View Post
i got quite a bit of negativity when i proposed i moderate on here (yes, i understand why). those threads/stickies sound really helpful to be honest.
on a side note, i managed to moderate for my set 3 months. admittedly, i was then meant to give it up completely and that hasnt worked out but i am still moderating nicely. and much happier for it (although im sure sobriety would be better).
smadams - If are indeed moderating one of two things is probably. A. you simply are not a alcoholics = congratulations! or B. It just has not caught up Y.E.T.

Our illness is progressive in nature..........it never subsides or goes away, though many have tried = me too. A heavy drinker may indeed find a way out. But not a true alcoholic.......
Old 08-17-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
quat

Crysalis
Does the bridesmaid know you have stopped drinking? If not, you could consider telling her, privately of course. Ginger ale and sparkling cider both 'fizz'. If she knows and still insists, well that would be monstrous, I can't believe that is the case.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Crysalis
Does the bridesmaid know you have stopped drinking? If not, you could consider telling her, privately of course. Ginger ale and sparkling cider both 'fizz'. If she knows and still insists, well that would be monstrous, I can't believe that is the case.
Hey dw - Im the bridesmaid - she's the bride - yeah she does know - she says she just wants me to have "the one"!

She doesn't mean it in a bad way though - idk what I'll do - will be back on SR after the "holiday" though - so fingers crossed all goes well.

I guess im only looking to moderate for one day - not looking forward to it tho. Wait and see I guess.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Crysalis - I agree...none is simpler! You can always pre-arrange a white sparkling grape juice in the same glass and I bet no one would even notice. ;-)
Old 08-17-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by myjourney111713 View Post
Crysalis - I agree...none is simpler! You can always pre-arrange a white sparkling grape juice in the same glass and I bet no one would even notice. ;-)
It's in a restaurant in the middle of nowhere in gallicia - so I doubt they even have grape juice! - At least not the non alcoholic kind - but shall def at least ask! - give myself the chance of an out Thanks
Old 08-17-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Crysalis View Post
It's in a restaurant in the middle of nowhere in gallicia - so I doubt they even have grape juice! - At least not the non alcoholic kind - but shall def at least ask! - give myself the chance of an out Thanks
You could even bring your own and ask them to pour from that for you in advance of the toast. There's probably a subtle way of doing it..
Old 08-17-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
quat

crysalis
good luck with your holiday and be well, but wanting it and drinking it are two different things one is a thought that need not be acted on and the other an action, that need not be taken
Old 08-17-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
quat

Well maybe I am right, it is the bridesmaid and the monster part is the beast, trying to talk you into just one more time. This is already more than just one toast, from my perspective, hope I'm wrong, sincerely, wish you well
Old 08-17-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

If i were allergic to peanuts I wouldn't just try one out once in a while, it just might kill me!
Old 08-17-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FlyerFan View Post
If i were allergic to peanuts I wouldn't just try one out once in a while, it just might kill me!
This is the 2nd time I've heard reference to peanuts since I've been here. Can someone please explain why? I mean I get the logic, but is it a AA thing or what?
Old 08-17-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

That's a great idea, tomsteve!
Old 08-17-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

FINALLY, someone saw what I was getting at! Thanks tom!
Old 08-17-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I had to sit a spell in order to respond appropriately as a member of staff.

I know you're new but I think you'd be surprised at how few people (out of literally tens if not hundreds of 1000s) I've seen here who claim lasting success with moderation.

If we started a moderation forum here, I would have to stand down as mod, because I don't believe that drinkers like me can successfully moderate.

I'd go farther and say that promoting moderation here would be like enabling people to die the long slow painful and lonely death of addiction.

We're a recovery board here.
Drinking more alcohol is not a solution and its not recovery - it's part of addiction.

If that sounds close minded or discriminatory to you then so be it - I dunno what else to tell you, 1day.

There are moderation sites and forums out there, if that's what anyone is looking for.

Moderation is big business cause it speaks to the great wish of the addicted to find a way to drink (or use) without any negative consequences.

I think it's snake oil.

Dee
SR

I wish I could give this 100 thanks!

Delfin
Old 08-17-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1dayaddatime View Post
Here I go again with a controversial thread......... So I'm wrapping up my 14th day of being sober and I feel great now that the withdrawals are all but gone. And what I mean by that is the cravings still come and go. I've learned that if you dwell on the cravings, the shakes and s**t will come back, so don't dwell...... Anyway, of the 14 days I've been here and stayed sober I've noticed quite a few have joined seeking support for "cutting back" to moderation with little to no support at all. So my question is, is there a forum for those looking for support in moderation, or is SR just for complete sobriety/alcohol free? And if not, why? This question is for staff as well. I can see how if someone is strong enough to cut back drinking to healthy moderation, and keep it there, they're just as strong as the ones that quit drinking altogether. I mean, most of us would love to be able to cut to healthy moderation, but we are physically, and mentally unable but what about those that can, and still seek our support. Just a thought, and if there is a forum for moderation, accept my apology, and I stand corrected.
"1dayaddatime"
I'm curious, 2 threads in 2 days. Are you wanting us to tell you that it's okay to drink?