Notices

More pills

Old 08-16-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
waking down

AnvilheadII, I get good results for insomnia with valerian root. I noticed it wasn't on your list. You can get it in capsules or make tea from roots. It grows near my house.

Better still is vipassana meditation. I try to do 30-45 minutes a day. I call it "cleaning my mind."

Valerian seems to arrest the obsessive thoughts I get sometimes that keep me awake. Vipassana is training me to do this without the valerian, but I still take valerian on occasion.

Alcohol works wonders for insomnia, too, but I got sick of the hangovers.

Oh, and I'm guessing listening to too much Anvil doesn't help much, either.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
Truth. So many side effects, so much collateral. And it doesn't even work very well after a few years. As for weed now that's a different thing entirely. I used both every day for a few years, looking back now I wish I was able to separate the two. I did actually for a period of about 2 months, after rehab. Those were the best 2 months of my life, I was living peacefully and quietly and thats the reason why. I ended back up the drink somehow then, it was downhill from there again.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I had to begin a pill for insomnia during my first few days of being sober. The insomnia was crippling. I'm on Day 7 now, and intend to wean off of it. On BP medication until I'm further along in my sobriety as my BP was dangerously high. Otherwise, only medication for asthma.

I have a mistrust of big pharma as well; especially after seeing my mom destroy herself being on about 30 different meds at once.

As far as I'm concerned, the fewer pills, the better.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Bingo. I have done the same. That is why I went from six down to two. But now the pill count is growing and I just am not comfortable with it. My plan is to taper from pain meds, put the Valium in the closet, stop taking the bowel movement pills and take this new medication until my inflammation goes away.
The prescription narcotic pain meds cause constipation. There are teas you can drink that get things moving - but just quitting the pain meds will solve that one.

Valium is nastiness in a pill.

I took benzos (and anti-anxiety meds) for a while. I had been sober for many many years, and that benzo (it is my belief) helped trigger me to start drinking again. It reminded me of that quiet mind that alcohol gives. It took me five years to get off the alcohol and the anti-anxiety meds.

Never again will I take anything for anxiety or depression. I have the tools within me to handle life. Nature or (lack of) nurture have given me a bit of a high-strung nature, but I make it worse by adding drugs. I am perfectly capable of handling life unmedicated. I am capable of calming my own mind without external substances.

I think you will figure it out.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was on benzos for many years though never took more than directed. In my IOP I was told that it is especially important to get off benzos for alcoholics because they affect the same receptors in the brain. I wanted to get off anyway but after about 20 years, it wasn't easy. It took me about 8 months to slowly taper off. Now I'm down to the tiniest possible dose occasionally (about once or twice a month) and plan to be off completely very soon. I could only obtain that tiny dose via special order - my pdoc wasn't aware that it existed in that dosage until I told him about it.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The one pill I absolutely can't seem to live without is Zyrtec. If I forget to take it, I break out in hives the next day.

My doctor had me on Vitamin D for awhile because my level was low. She took me off of it when my values reached the high end of normal. Now my cholesterol is up, and I just read a story in the news that high cholesterol has been linked to taking Vitamin D pills. You just can't win. We are mortal and something is going to kill us.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stratman1 View Post
I thought you were on an anti depressant also Jeff? Yeah I'm in the same position, no quality of life at all. (and I'm not depressed)

I've got a massive dilemma with my insomnia. It's no way to live but I have that same general mistrust of big pharma at this stage.

Plus taking a pill or 3 that have the same side effect's as the condition that I am suffering just seems totally irresponsible to me.
Its an anti depressant but I take for anti anxiety. I don't believe I suffer from depression, but this medication keeps my mind on an even keel. Basically, I have a bad temper, and this medicine keeps it in check.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Its an anti depressant but I take for anti anxiety. I don't believe I suffer from depression, but this medication keeps my mind on an even keel. Basically, I have a bad temper, and this medicine keeps it in check.
I don't wish to make light but when my kid was going through the terrible two's I used to tickle him into submission when he was behaving that way. Failing that? I used to lift him upside down by one leg just to give him a new perspective! That works…

What about a glass of warm milk and a cookie!? Joke aside, I'm just reading about it here, did you ever try that? Or everyone says that you can talk to someone about these things, i dunno.

It's not my business of course if you dont want to discuss it. I've been pretty angry and upset about things that happened in my life that I can't seem to recover from, I think most people would be. I go through every emotion under the sun before arriving at anger, it is not a default reaction for me. I need to drink firstly, for one thing.

I had a bad experience with mental health medication once. It completely changed my outlook, whereas I had been pleading for something/anything for many years previous.

I was trying to find a way to keep my life intact, you know. I had a lot of parenting responsibilities, a girlfriend, many friends, a roof over my head and so on. Real bad clinical depression which I lost a job I had been in for years over, insomnia, and every last symptom of a complex stress disorder also which was obviously a huge problem for me daily.

Just to further the conversation a bit, is it inappropriate or nosey to want to know what a certain medication is comprised of before taking it? i.e. where it is derived from in the natural world, wether the process is an organic or synthetic one for e.g. Because that to me sounds more like responsibility and assertiveness than necessarily lacking in trust, you know?
Old 08-16-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Strat,

Tickling children is considered abuse by some. Holding him upside down by one leg isn't a great idea, either.

Understanding what meds are made of sounds like a good goal - if you have a PhD in chemistry!
Old 08-16-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Strat,

Tickling children is considered abuse by some. Holding him upside down by one leg isn't a great idea, either.
Gee whiz, there must be a very, very wide spectrum of abuse in that case. Wider than I know of even.

In the same breath a lifetime of constant physical (as in beatings, not being tickled or horseplay) verbal, mental and emotional torment is not considered abused by others. Got anything to say about that?

Also I suppose one needs a PHD in philosophy in order choose a book on philosophy by your reasoning...
Old 08-16-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Thomas,

Obviously I can't recommend going off any meds without clearance from a doc. But there are a number of dietary changes you can make that can cut inflammation, and possibly lead to your doc reducing your meds. There are a number of "anti inflammation" diets out there.

The one I did, initially as a challenge to celebrate my first sober anniversary, was the whole30. It's a pain in the ass, not gonna lie. But it's an elimination of all things considered inflammatory. It was, like I said, a pain. But I feel amazing after about two weeks in it. I was on 2 bp meds, now I'm on a half dose of one. (Dr. Orders, not me going rogue .

I can't guarantee it would help you to the point of doc changing your meds, but you will feel shall we say, lighter and cleaner, for sure.

The book that explains is called "it starts with food" you can google it
Old 08-16-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
AnvilheadII, I get good results for insomnia with valerian root. I noticed it wasn't on your list. You can get it in capsules or make tea from roots. It grows near my house.

Better still is vipassana meditation. I try to do 30-45 minutes a day. I call it "cleaning my mind."

Valerian seems to arrest the obsessive thoughts I get sometimes that keep me awake. Vipassana is training me to do this without the valerian, but I still take valerian on occasion.

Oh, and I'm guessing listening to too much Anvil doesn't help much, either.
Valerian tincture is wonderful. Motherwort (Leonurus cardiaca) is as well. On any other day I could provide you with links and insight but I'm day two and of wd and am spent! I can say switching to a organic plant based diet will alleviate most ills and help you live a life pill free. When I'm feeling better if be happy to give some more info and links!
Old 08-16-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Strat said: just to further the conversation a bit, is it inappropriate or nosey to want to know what a certain medication is comprised of before taking it? i.e. where it is derived from in the natural world, wether the process is an organic or synthetic one for e.g. Because that to me sounds more like responsibility and assertiveness than necessarily lacking in trust, you know?

I don't think its inappropriate or nosey one bit. Its OUR body after all. I research all of the medications that I have been given. My BP medication is actually made from the venom of pit vipers (lisiniprol--sp?), my anti depressant is Paxil, its a selective serotonin uptake inhibitor. It has been a game changer for me, for the better. The other ones I'm currently taking are very popular and prescribed millions of times over (oxycodone and valium). These two are temporary and will no longer be taken after about another 30 days. This anti inflammatory (which is the new one I was just prescribed) I've done some research on, but honestly have never heard of it before. Its pretty strong and needs to be taken with food. The medication that messed me up bad was a cholesterol medication. You know how they advertise about severe joint or muscle pain that can be serious and permanent? That was me. Anyway, not sure I answered your question, but I think learning what you can about what you are putting in your body is just being responsible.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I was prescribed several medications over the years that were not in my best interest.
Best to study up regarding what we are putting into our bodies and if in question get a second opinion.
Mountainman
Old 08-16-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi wehave2day, I agree with you about diet. I think alot of people don't fully understand the importance of diet/food intake. To be perfectly honest, I'm fairly knowledgeable about diet, but I am too lazy to go to any great lengths to change it much. With my background I was on a strict diet for many years and just got burned out on the whole thing. But I will look into It Starts With Food....can't hurt right?
Old 08-16-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi wehave2day, I agree with you about diet. I think alot of people don't fully understand the importance of diet/food intake. To be perfectly honest, I'm fairly knowledgeable about diet, but I am too lazy to go to any great lengths to change it much. With my background I was on a strict diet for many years and just got burned out on the whole thing. But I will look into It Starts With Food....can't hurt right?
I personally went off all BP, diabetes and depression medications in one year by eating plant based. It was an incredible feat that even my pcp calls miraculous. "Let food be thy medicine." research and talk to your dr. It will change your life.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Jeff, I should clarify what I intended ... I totally agree that we should check on the meds we take and learn what we can. I simply don't see why it matters if the source is "natural" or "synthetic" or whatever.

I know an artist who can't hold a brush since she took cholesterol-lowering drugs. Now she paints with her fingers.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Haha Thomas, nope a book won't hurt ya.

Yeah I feel ya on diet burnout. I've done three whole30's now, then from our wedding in May until now I've been completely undisciplined. After vacation, I'm going to I I me down again and try to.... Wait for it... Moderate. Food.

I tend to go all or nothing with sugar now. I need to learn to chill. And lose some of this post wedding chub I've got going on.

That said, that dang diet did wonders for my joints. I didn't feel "creaky" at all. Now I'm back to my back hurting, my hip hurting, my knees feel stiff.... Diet is very powerful indeed.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Jeff I agree with you in your response. When I started having all these problems I just wanted doctors to 'fix' me, someway somehow. I was young. And suicidally depressed but had no idea why. I have a much better idea now (thanks SR) and also realise that a doctor can't fix your life necessarily, all they can do is help - or not- as the case may be. I'm not anti medication or anything although I have bought in to a few conspiracy theories over the years briefly (big pharma etc). I try to believe that only roughly half the world is corrupt these day's, but probably more if my immediate circle is anything to go by. Thats a whole another conversation but good people are hard to find and I believe that I know the reason why now. Hard found and easily hurt.

I don't know if you read about my stress rash but I got a tablet once that cleared it up, there was a temporary doctor at the clinic who looked in a book of plant based medicine and prescribed it. Many times I requested the name of it since but was told the records weren't computerized then. So I gave up, I haven't been able to wear a t-shirt in a decade (it's really horrible looking and makes me extra self conscious on top of everything) which in itself would be a cross to bear if only for the dull climate here (there's a small silver lining everywhere). Also I had tablets before that work great for my gastro acid reflux problem (both of these long term physical ailments are caused by stress) but I know a home remedy also, plus eating a little often keeps it at bay for a while.

And Saskia, I know what you did there. Ok, if you want to make me 'angry' in a hurry then question my motives around my kid I get a lot of that in real life also (wtf? why is that a thing). It pisses me off after all that we've been through already, so well done there.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I'm a rebel. I just stopped taking them. I didn't even wean myself, because I didn't know any better.

I also stopped complaining to my Medical Doctor. It is her job to prescribe medical assistance. Any little complaint I have gets met with a pill. Half the stuff I felt worse taking and quit them soon after starting. I bet if I told a surgeon, they'd have an operation for it. Chiro has an adjustment for it. . .

I guess some stuff is necessary. Maybe. I don't know. I'm on an anti-pill kick for the last five years. It's working so far.
I'm with you 100%. When I quit taking all these pills I was prescribed years ago, I did it the same way you did. I just quit. Sure, he asked me all kinds of questions, tried switching some of them to a different brand etc...I finally asked him if he had an additional 5-10 minutes to listen to what I was experiencing and ultimately told him it was a quality of life issue for me. The cholesterol med was killing me. I told him if I die, I die. But I CANNOT continue living my life with the muscle and joint pain I was experiencing. For anyone who wants to contact me regarding the seriousness of my issues, just PM me. At its worst, I was losing control of my muscles systemically, and therefore almost choked to death one night. Had to call 911 as I thought it was Jeff's last day on earth. Seriously.