Notices

I'm starting to dream about alcohol and unpleasant events

Old 08-15-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm starting to dream about alcohol and unpleasant events

I'm on day 34, and this past week I've been dreaming that I wanted a drink and it was a mission, another dream and in it I was drunk. And a couple other disturbing dreams not related to alcohol. Those were traumatic. I've heard about this happening on here before. I wonder if it's evidence that my brain is changing? You know like re wiring itself. I hope so.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Debbie - I wish I could offer advice, but I'm only on Day 6, having only gone up to Day 17 last year. Instead, I offer encouragement. I'm sure those dreams were traumatic. The thought of drinking again, then having to quit again is traumatic to me. Hang in there!!!
Old 08-15-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Drinking dreams are very common in early sobriety. Drinking/not drinking is what's on our mind when we're awake so it makes sense it'd a topic in our dreams. I'm on day 100 and I'd say that for me those type of dreams were mostly gone by day 50-55 and have been completely gone for the last month. Though I will also say that my other non-drinking dreams are still way more vivid than they've been in years.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing great on day 34 the dreams/nightmares will fade
Old 08-15-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Pretty common is crazy dreams in early Sobriety!!

Dreams on their own don't cause hangovers though, soo hang in there! !
Old 08-15-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had the same last night I woke up and still half asleep I said to my husband "have I been bad?" he said "what do you mean?!" still half asleep said " did I drink? I called the police, a woman had hit herself in the head with an axe..... "then i woke up fully realised it was a dream and thank god it was a dream but it wasn't very a pleasant one. My husband checked to see if I had sleep dialled the police! I didn't thank god.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blueberry2015 View Post
I had the same last night I woke up and still half asleep I said to my husband "have I been bad?" he said "what do you mean?!" still half asleep said " did I drink? I called the police, a woman had hit herself in the head with an axe..... "then i woke up fully realised it was a dream and thank god it was a dream but it wasn't very a pleasant one. My husband checked to see if I had sleep dialled the police! I didn't thank god.
It's always good to wake up from drinking dreams.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Debbie329 View Post
I'm on day 34, and this past week I've been dreaming that I wanted a drink and it was a mission, another dream and in it I was drunk. And a couple other disturbing dreams not related to alcohol. Those were traumatic. I've heard about this happening on here before. I wonder if it's evidence that my brain is changing? You know like re wiring itself. I hope so.
When you get sober a lot of things surface. The drinking dreams are, for me, just about that a part of me still wants to escape...and a part of me is terribly afraid I'll drink again. That is pretty much it.

The ones not related to alcohol that are "traumatic" are the ones that probably matter most. Drinking I didn't deal with a whole lot of things that were very hard. Those things come up in many ways in dreams. The way through it is to start looking at the trauma (even if you think it's silly) that you have been through and escaped looking at when you drank.

I don't believe we are "wired wrong".... I believe there are things we need to deal with that alcohol allowed us to avoid. I don't interpret my dreams as being "real", but I do believe they indicate things I need to deal with... often feelings and things that aren't obvious in the dream. For example... driving the car and the breaks don't work ... that for me is about a feeling of being out of control. Other dreams are a mixture of memories and traumatic events.

the nightmares will go away if you work through things one by one sober. It can take time. When you wake up, just remember the dream is just a reminder of things to work through... you are ok, you just have some stuff left to do (hug)

Nands
Old 08-15-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are very real and unsettling Debbie, but like others have said - very common and they will fade

congratulations on day 34

D