Notices

Share your stories about improvement of social skills

Old 08-23-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Im an an extrovert by birth. But drinking caused me (like Anna) to overshare and cross lines i shouldnt. Plus i couldnt remember what i even said and quite frankly i didnt want to remember what i said. Now i notice that i am more genuine and want to be involved on a real level. On the flip side i am in less social situations since i am no longer going to bars and since i stopped hanging out with past friends (drinkers). I have yet to line up a circle of sober friendsm
Old 08-23-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm about to go to a neighborhood get together. I'll be meeting folks for the first time. I've been here 1.5 years. I'm on the 7th day sober today. I have some anxiety and excitement. There was a part of me that wanted to feign illness and climb under my covers and sleep the afternoon away. I'm pushing myself... doing my best to be enthusiastic and going. I'll check back in a bit when I return. The fact that I'm in mostly a retirement community and I'm 48 and far from retired is kinda of interesting... I live with my mom. Ok, almost 3.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I drank because i was shy, nervous and socially awkward.

Now I'm sober I'm still a bit shy, not too nervous and still not overly keen on social situations. But I accept I'm a bit of an introvert and know there is nothing wrong with that. there is nothing wrong with me because I don't like to be the life and soul of the party nor the centre of attention.

I sit and watch and don't feel the need to prove anything to anyone. I am just me and people either like me or they don't. Think there's an element of maturity with ageing but it's mainly because I'm sober that my outlook on life has changed.