Notices

Alcoholic Blackouts/loss Of Judgement

Old 09-01-2004, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic Blackouts/loss Of Judgement

Can anyone help me to understand the effects of an alcoholic blackout on a persons lack of judgement? I can find only a few things on the internet. I was completely stunned by having done things that were completely out of character for me. I need to understand this a little better. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2004, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Blackouts, good remember when. Or should I say, don't remember. There have been several times when drinking that people would tell me the things I did the night before. I only half believed them, but I couldn't remember. I've done things in and out of blackouts that are out of character for me. I don't usually hang on other women's men, unless drinking. I don't start fights with the biggest chick I can find, unless drinking. Drinking is only part of the problem, which is why we need to do the steps to correct our spiritual self. Have you gone to any AA meetings? They can be a great help, because you can meet people just like yourself there, who have found a way to recover from this disease. I hope this helped a little, and others will be along with more information. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

Sherry
Old 09-01-2004, 03:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Cathy. Oh my, I think you're very brave even thinking about what you've done in a blackout. I like to think everything I did was just because of the drink. Take the drink away and judgment resumes normal service. I'm quite confident that alcohol doesn't 'bring out your true character'. No more than a double leg amputation reveals your true height.

I don't *think* I'm in denial.

Deg.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My experience is that all the negative parts of my character are highly amplified when I was severly drunk at the blackout point. I am a fairly even tempered person normally, blackout drunk I am short temered and highly agressive. Sober I would usually stay away from any hard drugs. When blackout drunk, I would seek whatever was around. Sober I would always try and keep negative comments about strangers to myself. Blackout drunk I would blut out whatever crazy thought was on my mind.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

hey Cathy--I don't know everything about alcohol and why it makes us do the things we do. I DO know that alcohol is a depressant. It depresses our heart rate, breathing, brain function, everthing. That is why a person can DIE from drinking too much alcohol. You simply shut down. It is a very scary thought for me to realize how close I probably came to death because of my drinking. Let me know what else you find out!

Hugs--
Old 09-01-2004, 07:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Laura Lu, I found the following sites interesting. They have short & sweet explanations on what alcohol does to you. Not much about blackouts though.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/alcohol5.htm I believe I fell into category 3 when I "blacked out".

http://www.tcada.state.tx.us/issues/danger.html
Old 09-01-2004, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Cathy
kel here, alcoholic, grateful to be sober today.
As my alcoholism progressed my blackouts became more and more frequent.
Sometimes after only a few drinks instead of many.
They are pretty common amongst acoholics.
They are very scary and a good indication that it might be time to stop drinking.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Cathy

Ah, blackouts. How I don't miss them. I tried to do a search, but couldn't find too much either. The last blackout I had that I was told about, I was at a bowling alley where I got on the microphone and announced to all the patrons that the bowling alley manager had stolen $300 out of my purse. I also got incredibly inappropriate with apparently any phallic-shaped object, including but not limited to the arm of a stranger. bleh.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Kel,
I don't think I'm an alcoholic...yet. It was quite a rude awakening and you can be sure I'll keep an eye on my drinking now that I know what can happen. There was one time in college that I couldn't remember most of the evening but luckily I had great friends around who really took care of me. I cut back on the heavy drinking since then & picked it up after I turned 30 after meeting a friend who really enjoys drinking. I really don't drink much (no more than 2) with other friends. This one just really loved drinking and I gave into the constant pressure of always having to have one more with her. Because of my behavior during my blackout, we are no longer friends & I guess that may be to my benefit right now.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Cathy
I'm Rowan, alcoholic, and I'm glad you're here.
When I began questioning my drinking, years back, I too did not think I was an
alcoholic. However, in retrospect, I realize that normal/social drinkers don't have
these problems with alcohol i.e. blackouts.
If you are questioning your drinking, regardless of the reason, it may be an
indication that you need to examine it more closely. Just my opinion.
I used to think there couldn't be anything worse than to be an alcoholic, but to be
an alcoholic in recovery is a wonderful and empowering thing.
God Bless
Love Rowan
Old 09-12-2004, 09:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Cathy. It is shocking to me the things I have done during blackout. I turn into a completely different person. Almost every time I get drunk, I black out the last part of the evening at least.

I am very laid back and mellow, and I have gotten into fights. I
m anti-drug, yet have done cocaine. I consider myself safe where sex is concerned, yet I have had unsafe sex. I drunk-dial people I should not or do not want to call sober.

It's so bad now that I don't even want to know when I have done. It's just like, ignorance is bliss. I can't even bear the thought of some of the outrageous, stupid, things I have done when blacked out.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Cathy,
I too started out with none at all..then went to a few,then several,and then had them almost eveytime I drank no matter how much.
I can say its not something I miss.Im glad they are gone.There is no worse feeling in the world then waking up in a jail cell not knowing why you are there!!
Or what you did!
Old 09-27-2004, 03:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Time is helping... I haven't had more than 2 drinks since my blackout on 8/14. I don't plan on it either. I realize there's too much risk involved. I got luck & it certainly could have been MUCH worse - I haven't seen a jail cell...although it was bad enough. Delaney, I can really relate to your saying you were a completely different person. Same here. It baffles me to think of where it came from. I can understand my friend never wanting to have anything to do with me. I think I was coherent when she reminded me I couldn't do anything with that married man & I told her yes, I knew that. Minutes later, I did whatever he wanted to... with no thought at all crossing my mind that it was wrong. It's still incomprehensible to me. I just agreed with whatever anyone said. NOTHING went through my mind. That's scary.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My First Blackout

And it will be my last because I do not every want that again. It was murder on my soul not knowing what I did. I am greatful in that i did not harm anyone, i just harmed myself and had to have a police car take me home. It was humiliating for me and for my girlfriend.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Chy

Blackouts tend to be a clear indication there may be a problem with alcohol.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi seaocean

Welcome!

Pkease check out the links posted Cathy123 above.

The only way to keep from blackouts...

Quit Drinking.

Good to see a new member...
Old 08-02-2005, 05:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Delaney26 said " I drunk-dial people I should not or do not want to call sober".Last month I got my phone bill and I had called 12 people from my home town 500 miles away from where I live. All these calls were made between 11pm and 3am and I have no recollection of making them whatsoever.Some were for over 30 minutes, so I can't even imagine what I said. Some were to people I dislike immensely. I'm too embarrassed and humiliated to call them and ask what I said to them. Maybe oneday.
I think that blackouts are one of the most soul destroying things about being an active alcoholic. I have woken up 150 miles from where I live ,with no idea how I got there , or what I'm doing there. Fun stuff, hey. NOT!
Greg.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Black outs are a clear indication of an allergy to alcohol...

More than 50 blackouts? Brain damage.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm one of the nicest, most polite and laid back guys you'll ever meet. But when I have drank enough to be in a blackout situation, I become very aggressive and jealous. My girlfriend has told me numerous times of how she had to physically get between me and some other guy because I was ready to pound on him over some minor infraction (bumped my arm, etc.). She also told me of how she would have to talk our way out of trouble when I would pick a fight with a much larger guy. I, of course, never recalled any of this. And it shocked me, because I am the most non-confrontational person ever (when sober).

I think that when the threshold is crossed, it becomes a Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde situation. The worst characteristics of your being come to the forefront. I don't ever want to be there again.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

i would love to share on this but i was blacked out at the time.