Notices

Had enough!

Old 08-13-2015, 11:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I could have written your post word for word. 6pm the wine appears, if for some reason I'm delayed till 8pm, it still appears and gets drunk quicker.

I've sweated on the school run, full of anxiety that everyone knows, it's awful...

Can u ask to see a different Dr? Mine was amazing and referred me to an outside agency who I'm seeing on Monday, although u can also self refer.

Keep coming back here, check in and it will keep recovery at the front of your mind even if you're not 100% successful straight away.

I long for this version of me to disappear and start on the new me...
Old 08-13-2015, 11:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
love is the answer

Originally Posted by Ditchingthewine View Post
Hi Anna, no concrete plan other than willpower at this stage. I went to my doctor 2.5 years ago and said I was worried about my drinking. She basically made me feel like utter c***. Looked down at me and chastised me like a child. I wasn't offered any help and left feeling ashamed and regretting having opened up. I had a full blood count done (including liver function) and it came back fine. I left it at that and just carried on. I know AA and GP is advised a lot on here, but after that experience I'm terrified of going back to my doctor and I have really bad social anxiety so I'm petrified at the notion of AA..
There are other group options ditching. Would an online meeting work for you for eg? Groups aren't for everyone however.

Also ref your gp, sad to say I've heard this a lot. Perhaps your gp also has issues around alcohol? Just a thought . When I approached my gp about my consumption he said this "we can't tie your hands behind your back" then went on to say "I have few too many myself from time to time". A LOT of gps just don't get it.

Another poster suggested a different gp which is a fabulous idea. I'd suggest checking out the other addiction services in your area.

In the meantime sr is always here for you. We get it.

Hugs and love.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Have you checked online to see if there's a drug and alcohol community team near you? Although my gp got me involved in therapy etc, I went to the drug and alcohol team who run relaxation classes, peer support groups...lots of stuff.

I can relate a lot to your post and I'm glad you're here. One day at a time, one minute at a time if need be :-)
Old 08-14-2015, 01:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Hi Ditchingthewine and welcome to SR

Great to see you hear.

I recommend 'shopping around' for a better Dr. Over here in the UK they tend to be very poor when it comes to addiction, because they have had no training. The first time I told IDr Iwas told that Iwould die and if Icarried on he wouldn't helped me. I already knew that... Needless to say I drank tat night! Ihave a great Dr now though who really seems to understand and tries to help, rather than just castigate me.

Good luck!
B
Old 08-14-2015, 01:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and congratulations on making the decision to take back your personal power! Wine too was my poison 2 bottles and sometimes more.... I just wanted to share something with you, my liver function came back normal in March of this year..... its now August and my liver function is at 229.... in just five months drinking 2 bottles of wine daily my liver is under stress... ive a liver scan Monday. Tbh it scared the hell out of me. If you are in the Uk you can self refer to drug and alcohol counselling... take time to google what services are available to you. Willpower is fab but may not be enough, you will prob need additional support. Its not recommended you just quit without professional support okay, as you may experience withdrawal and that can be dangerous... its great you want to stop but make sure you do it safely especially if have suffered from withdrawal symptoms in the past. X x X help IS there but in my experience you have to seek it... it wont be handed to you on a plate. If you go to AA you dont have to participate just listening can be hugely benefical to you. I wish you the very very best of luck on the first steps into your new sober life. X x x