Notices

drinking

Old 08-12-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy drinking

So im having those thoughts about being able to social drink.. I'm actually entertaining it an thinking it maybe ppossible this time.. But this has happened before where Ithought i will just have one drink or maybe two that's it.. I will drink socially for awhile an somehow i end up drinking a four pack an pint daily along with eexcessively smoking cigarettes.. It just happens so quickly.. But my av is trying to convince me this time is different..
Old 08-12-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

By the way I'm on day 33.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tell your AV to cram it. That's what I do when I recognize. I say to it, it's just not going happen and you know why and you're just going to have to deal with it.

The argument usually doesn't last too long. Keep yourself busy.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

And big kudos to 33 days!
Old 08-12-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
learning to live

Congrats on 33 days! That is great!

What you describe is the same routine we often fall into once we start healing. It is good that you are reaching out. It shows you know that you don't want to give in and you know the pattern giving in will lead to.

Try really hard to remember back when you quit. The day you decided enough is enough. Try to remember how you felt and how hard that first week or so was to get back on track.

You have come so far. I don't think it would be wise to give up now. Just keep going!! You are worth more than chain smoking and pints of alcohol. It is an insane cycle that we CAN stop.

Nothing will be different from all the other times you/I gave in to the AV. I can promise you that.

When I think back to times I gave into that voice, I can say, we aren't missing a thing but a lot of misery.

We are in total control to change that insane pattern

Stay close to SR toni and I promise next week (or sooner) you will be so glad you didn't drink AND you will be that much stronger on the other side

Old 08-12-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Don't drink Tonisherrell; you will regret it!
That AV is a monster trying to lead you astray...
You can do it... Stay strong.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't do it. Just don't do it. It NEVER ends well. Bad things always end of happening and it would be such a shame to wreck your life or the life of others. It is so hard I know when you get this darn thought in your head, but it is just trickery. The hard core reality is that we just can't do alcohol.....ever. And it makes us mad and sad sometimes...but it is the reality. So be mad....or sad.....but just don't drink. And with each day that you continue to stay sober you will be stronger....and it will get easier because these thoughts become further and further away. And then you get to really live your life as it was meant to be.....without alcohol.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't think you should drink either Toni. But how do others deal with this? You feel great and you forget all the pain that lead to so many sober days. Just today I was thinking that myself, and also thinking, why am I thinking I can manage this when I obviously can't. To me it was so odd I would even think this and yet there I was.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Nice work Tonisherrell on 33 days Congrats !! Tell that AV go Blank itself - and you won't let it mess up tomorrow 's 34 Days !!
It's Never Ever Different only Worse each time ........& Harder . That stinking Beast Lies I tell ya Grrrrrrr
Old 08-12-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

How many times do you need to prove it to yourself? The laws of gravity don't tend to change (Newton pretty much settled that one--there were only so many times he let himself be conked on the head by the apple). The laws of alcoholism are pretty predictable, too. You will suddenly feel that THIS time you have the answer!

The results will inevitably be the same. Even if you drink normally tonight, or tomorrow, sooner or later you will be right back where you started. Or, more likely, worse, because alcoholism tends to progress whether you are actively drinking or not. And repeated withdrawals increase the chances of either not being able to quit again, or having severe withdrawal symptoms.

Not worth the risk to drop the apple on your head one more time.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Did I ever drink and then feel glad that I did?

Nope. Never. Not a single time

Did I ever drink and regret it?

Yes. Every. Single. Time.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Yea, I tried that as many of us do. It's part of acceptance. When I was not ready to accept I was an alcoholic and thought I could be successful this time I drank, again.

Finally, I reached that point where I became ready to accept I could not drink at all or It would end poorly........

I hope you'll find your way, consider your choice though and review what brought you here in the first place???

We accept our situation or not - no one can make us do anything,

Keep coming back
Old 08-12-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

See my sig Toni... Many, many,many,many,many,many,many,many,many times.

If I could drink like that, I wouldn't have a problem doing it. Like you, I kept trying to have the easy life where I get to buzz, but it has no serious consequences.

Not going to happen, ever. I can give advice all day long about what I did to finally stop drinking, but until you realize you can't drink one or two it would do no good

Best of luck Toni, these folks help a lot. They understand where we are coming from, stick around and listen.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yep. What everyone else said. Don't drink. I know I can't drink socially. When I have an urge to drink it's because I don't care if I hurt. I know I will hurt. There's never social moderation for me. I work on finding the solution to dealing with inner emotional and spiritual pain by doing something other than wanting to make it ten times worse by adding alcohol.

We don't need alcohol. It's escape in liquid form but only temporarily. Catches up with us immediately.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks guys you are absolutely right.. I feel so much better not drinking an I know I can't just have one ever... But I have to get out this house.. I'vebeen so cooped up since not working an ttrying to advoid the bars I don't know what else is there to do anymore.. I suppose to be going on a date Friday an have no cclue how to function on it sober being this is more a blind date.. That's why Ithought maybe if we go for a few drinks I'll loosen up an the date an be a bit more relaxed... But mostly likely I'll get toooooo relaxed an probably make a ass or worst out myself... Maybe I'll just pop a xantx if I get to nervous an rude the date out.. At least with the meds I'll just be relaxed not drunk..
Old 08-12-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 33 days! Thats really great. Dating in recovery can be tricky at first...I understand your wanting to get out of the house and do something but if it were me at 33days I could not do a date. Especially not a blind date! My AV would have got the better of me. I would recommend holding off on dating until you have more sober time. Many say a year is good. Do you have any friends you could hang out with? Friends that know you don't drink? What about starting some sort of exercise routine if you don't already have one? Join a gym, go for long walks or a hike?
Old 08-13-2015, 12:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Broken Heart of Gold

Originally Posted by tonisherrell View Post
That's why Ithought maybe if we go for a few drinks I'll loosen up an the date an be a bit more relaxed... But mostly likely I'll get toooooo relaxed an probably make a ass or worst out myself... Maybe I'll just pop a xantx if I get to nervous an rude the date out.. At least with the meds I'll just be relaxed not drunk..
A) If you need a few drinks to loosen up, then perhaps you need to re-think dating. I definitely agree you're far too early in your recovery to date! Focus on YOU right now, and being the healthiest you that you can be. What is the point of dating when you're still discovering who you are? Healthy people have healthy relationships. Hurt people hurt people. I just got out of a relationship with an alcoholic - I'm speaking from first-hand experience. AV is still too loud at 33 days sober.

B) Pop pills instead?! No. Just NO.

You've got this! Get out of the house, find gainful employment, shut AV down and find your happy. Then you will attract the right kind of person.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Not long ago I had similar thoughts. Hell it even worked for one weekend. Just an odd glass of wine. I felt so happy. I was a normal person again. I could enjoy my odd drink and life was peachy. Then I was very quickly getting far too drunk and ruining friendships and relationships and waking up with that sick dread about what I had done this time.

I am glad you too have remembered how the road goes. I agree on the dating. I feel very lonely and really miss that bond and comfort from having someone but I know my head won't be in a safe place for that for a long time. I totally understand how hard it is to accept that and wait. I am really struggling with the idea. I think somewhere deep down you probably know you need to wait too. Us ex drinkers are so used to trying to grab a quick fix to feeling bad. Takes time to learn patience and that not everything can be made ok and happy ever after in an instant.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Will power alone never worked for me. Will power and an AA meeting everyday worked for me
Old 08-13-2015, 03:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skeletoncrue View Post
Did I ever drink and then feel glad that I did?

Nope. Never. Not a single time

Did I ever drink and regret it?

Yes. Every. Single. Time.
Can't agree more! A good quick response for when my AV gets noisy!