Notices

drinking

Old 08-13-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I agree with everyone else. Every time I thought I could moderate, I ended up drinking MORE. It took me a long time to figure that out....
Old 08-13-2015, 04:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Toni, your 33 days inspires me. I am new to this round of recovery and 33 days feels like a millions years away. Keep it up. Every relapse I have ever had began with the words your brain was whispering into your ear. Just one. Maybe two. Social drinking. It's all BS and every one of us is here because of that little voice. Hang in there.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Hey TonySherrel This should be day 34 ? I hope so You received lot of great replies . I totally understand the "loneness" of trying to stay away from bars & drinking events . When I stopped all I had was drinking buddies ,when I quit , they stopped coming . They weren't True friends !
I agree with the rest , it's still pretty soon to get into a relationship .
Now your probably wondering about your date ? Not sure if you were going to be upfront with her, you could say your just looking for friendship at this time . Leave it up to her . We all need to start someplace to make sober friends .
It won't be fair to her if you meet , with you numbed up " relaxed" on meds either . That's not showing your true self ?
Friendship can blossom into something beautiful if you take things slow - with the right understanding person ... What ever you decide I wish you the best
Old 08-13-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by tonisherrell View Post
But my av is trying to convince me this time is different.
It's addicted to alcohol, that's what it does. It appeals to you in whatever way it can to get alcohol.

People who can control their drinking don't have a voice in their head telling them they can.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Toni, if you have to medicate yourself to go on a date, I agree with the rest that it's not a good time to start thinking about relationships.

Being lonely is scary. It hurts sometimes but don't let that fear drive your decision making at the moment. Dating is so stressful in the beginning that it leads even normal drinkers into doing crazy things. Get to know yourself first. Patience is key right now.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Re-Member

It was one of the great minds of the 20th Century--either Albert Einstein or Dick Van Patten, I think--who said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

My addiction to alcohol never went away no matter how much time between drinks or how many different ways I tried to moderate or control it. Once I took that first drink, I never knew how many were going to follow and what wreckage I might then cause in my life and others.

Congrats on 33 days. Please don't take that first drink today no matter what. We're here for you 24/7.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

At least with the meds I'll just be relaxed not drunk..

What?? You need to flush the meds too! Totally insane thought. Just my 2 cents..
Old 08-13-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Always come and get a second opinion here on SR, you'll not go too far wrong!!
Old 08-13-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Congratulations, tonisherrill, on 33 days.

Really great advice above.

The AV is relentless and tricky; believe absolutely nothing that he says.

I hope that your date is able to meet the 'unaltered' you. Be yourself.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Congratulations on 33 days! Don't give up now. I read somewhere that the average craving lasts around 10 minutes. So find something to do to get your mind off of it and maybe that will help. You've come this far... you can do it!
Old 08-13-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks