Notices

I had a rough night last night

Old 08-11-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I had a rough night last night

I wanted to drink so bad last night.

I had a crappy day. I was tired when I woke up, even though I probably got "enough" sleep (8 hours) I could have gone on sleeping but I had to go to work and the alarm was going off. I had a 12+ hour workday yesterday and I knew it was going to be that way when I woke up. I let myself get annoyed, then something happened at work that was very stressful. I won't go into it but it is this (honest) mistake I made (not alcohol related at all) that could end up having terrible consequences later this year, and yesterday it reared it's ugly head. In the middle of the day. I was actually on my way to get some lunch when the call came in and after that I completely lost my appetite. When it was all finally all over, I went to my girlfriend's house and got my cat and went home. I needed to be alone.

I wanted to drink when I got home. I had I can't tell you how many arguments with myself. My argument was weak, too. Nothing resonated. All I could say to myself was "wait til tomorrow. If it seems like a good idea tomorrow, then fine." I didn't want to come on here and reach out. I really didn't want to.

I remembered HALT. I was hungry, angry, lonely, and tired. I still hadn't eaten anything. So I made some crappy quick food, ate it, and felt way better. I called my girlfriend, who I had been kind of snippy to earlier. I petted my cat and went to bed early.

I can't let these things take over my brain. I'm glad I was grounded enough to say "no" and mean it. I'm glad I can come here and talk about it.

Onward, day 11....
Old 08-11-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry about that. Ugh we get crazy stuff thrown at us sometimes after we are so determined to quit. Proud of you for hanging in there! It will make you stronger
Old 08-11-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's amazing you were able to endure all that and not drink!!!! You sound like a person that is determined to quit drinking. Very inspirational. Maybe look at it this way. If you can get through all that and not drink, you can probably get through anything. Thanks for posting. John
Old 08-11-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you did a great job. You did what you needed to do to get through the day.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Bexxed... that is really great! Good for you. I've been struggling and hearing about your victory last night is very inspiring!

Old 08-11-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Way to go Bexxed....Wishing you a better day today!
Old 08-11-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done! I like that you used HALT to identify how you were feeling. You should be proud of yourself. You built some sober muscles last night!
Old 08-11-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great work on feeling the urge and getting through it.

Proud of you for putting some action into your recovery.

Keep coming back daily, and let us know how you are doing.

You can do this.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Look at you!
You did everything right to not drink. You recognized the causes and you fixed each one, reaping the rewards.
Not sure what's going on in your work place but it sounds to me like you have your head on straight.
Keep pushing thru. We are all in this with you!
Old 08-11-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
under new management

bexxed!!! What an inspiring post! I felt your struggle as I read and I felt your victory at the conclusion!

Onward, day 11.....indeed!

Old 08-11-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You're doing really well. It gets easier. Keep it going.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

bexxed, you did a great job. When things weren't going well for me at work, I relapsed! I wish I had handled my situation like you did and I commend you for hanging in there!
Old 08-11-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone.

I'm very thankful for yesterday, actually. It was a crappy day and a difficult evening. But it was just that, a crappy day and a difficult evening. That's life. Truth be told I really would have been unlikely to have gone on some kind of rager; I did have to wake up this morning, and that was pretty unlike me. I was still somewhat responsible. I might have drank a bottle of wine alone in my house, and woke up kind of fuzzy this morning. I would likely have eaten way more crappy food than I did. I would likely have not called my girlfriend, but that wouldn't have been the end of the world because I wasn't mean, just snippy, and I told her about the work thing and she understood. I wasn't likely to have been destructive to others, just myself. "Just" myself, right? I would have been a little bit more of a mess, not less of a mess. I also would have stewed the entire time about my day, instead of doing what I needed to do, which was go to sleep and move on.

But I woke up with my cat purring and batting my face asking to play and be fed, and I wasn't "mildly" hung over, so I played with her and fed her. And so far today I've had to deal with that stressful thing, and it's a little less stressful because I have some perspective, and a big reason I do is that I didn't drink last night, so I'm alert and I've not numbed the thoughts and fears that it brings up; I've been facing them.

It's not as easy as I know it is when you've had more time, but it is a little easier. A tiny bit. Gratitude is a big deal.

I post in the August group a little bit, although not too much because it's hard for me to keep up! but early on I think I posted about one of my inspirations for really doing this: a high school friend who noted her 8 year sober anniversary on social media. She said "8 years. One day at a time. Thank you" and in the comments said "so many less messes". She didn't say "no messes", she said "so many less messes". She said "thank you" to no one in particular, but seemed like it was directed at life in general. That's the way I perceived it, and it struck me. It's something I'm remembering right now. I will have messes. I trust that this will help me have less, not more. It is proving itself to be true. This group helps me have the clarity to see that, most of the time.

I've been thinking about going to a meeting, although I'm gun shy because I'd had one bad and several underwhelming experiences with it before. I know the bad experience was actually a bad experience, but think the underwhelming ones may have been due to my attitude before. I was looking for some giant bolt of light that made it all better. I'm pretty sure sobriety doesn't look like that. If it did, it might be in a martini glass, I'd imagine. It seems like it might just be helpful. I don't have time the next few days (checked the schedules when I woke up this morning) but at the end of the week I should be able to. I understand why they say "90 in 90" and if I can't do it (I can't, it's logistically impossible) then I can't, but I can still go and that doesn't make me less committed and I know that.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Bexxed

If you feel like going to a mtn go to a mtn i had the same thing i was better for going dont focus on 90/90 focus on 1 mtn

Ps you done amazing
Old 08-11-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through bexxed - great stuff!

D
Old 08-11-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Well done bexxed - 11 days I like that saying " less messes ". I always seemed to get in Bigger messes with drinking . Good way to look at it
Old 08-11-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

90 in 90 (in my understanding) came from the rehab industry. There is nothing in the actual program of AA (that I've been able to find, anyway - correct me if I'm wrong, AAers) that suggests 90 in 90.

I did it, but in all honesty it was pretty overwhelming. New to sobriety and super raw, it was a pressure I put on myself - no one else in AA put that pressure on me. I mean, some people in the rooms talk about it during meetings, but I think everyone has their own journey to take with sobriety.

I liked some meetings. Others I walked out of because they were too much for me for whatever reason.

It was my path, and after four months I stopped going to meetings. This site has been my primary source of recovery talk. There is a lot of wisdom here.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow, that was a very difficult test that you passed with flying colors, really proud of you. And you should be proud of you. Congratulations. Your living proof that it CAN be done.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
😇

Great job Bexxed! Identifying your triggers and being able to deal with them is great progress.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Bexxed, thanks for this wonderful inspiration. You're right, a crappy day is just a crappy day, and we can get through them without drink. There are so many good things about waking up sober and walking through our day sober and spending our evenings sober, aren't there?