Notices

The truth about rock bottom.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The truth about rock bottom.

I have come to the conclusion that apart from death there is no true rock bottom. When you hit a rock bottom moment the best is to ensure that is the last. As a single sip can lead you down the path to an even worse rock bottom. There are eternal ways of screwing up and the best way to get a guided tour is to think 'sure a little drink won't hurt.'

I for one am tired of discovering the new ways I can screw myself over. Each time you think 'wow that is the worst I will ever do.' You wonder how you will really come back from that. Yet for some reason you hop in for one more ride just to see what new and heart breaking dark country lane the 'this time will be different' train will drop you off in.

No more. Even though I already think I have nothing much left to loose I know it would find something to destroy.

So, until death does it end, the truth about rock bottom is there is ALWAYS the potential for a worse rock bottom. It will come along fast enough if you let pesky AV have it's wicked way.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Rock bottom is in most cases (except for death) a false bottom- like quick sand. But I think most people associate rock bottom with their last time that made them stop. But yes, you can keep falling further in most cases until you are 6 feet under. It all depends on if that is your rock bottom that makes you stop- its all relative to the person and situation.

Rock bottom could be an arrest, accident, or just a realization that man life sucks right now--
Old 08-10-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WOW...THANK YOU i so needed to read this and such truths i have hit far beyond bottoms only to continue digging deeper and deeper knowing the ugliness that is in store but i do know i am stronger than the strongest drink i've ever drank ��
Old 08-10-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
Rock bottom is in most cases (except for death) a false bottom- like quick sand.
For the active drinker, yes. For many (too many) alcoholics, rock bottom is that thing, when they hit it, will prompt them to get sober. And like you said, jryan, it's false bottom, one that keeps changing definition.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think all I mean is that AV can try to convince you that, that rock bottom is the worst it could be. That it couldn't possibly get any worse so why not. That now your past that moment it will be different. It was just a reminder that no matter what or where you are if you go back for a drinkie there is always something worse waiting.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I certainly could have sunk lower but one day I finally decided enough was enough. Alcohol had won and from that day I never drank again
Old 08-10-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It didn't win MI. You won, you found a way to live better without it's grip.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thankyou for your post. It is so true.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh yes, my rock bottoms have gotten much, much deeper over time, and the durations of abuse have extended in time and severity--I believe in the lingo they call that "kindling."
Old 08-10-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I certainly could have sunk lower but one day I finally decided enough was enough. Alcohol had won and from that day I never drank again
Alcohol won because once and for all I gave up the notion I could ever drink like other people but yes I won as well because I said goodbye to my best friend vodka
Old 08-10-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DitzyDandelion View Post
I have come to the conclusion that apart from death there is no true rock bottom. When you hit a rock bottom moment the best is to ensure that is the last. As a single sip can lead you down the path to an even worse rock bottom. There are eternal ways of screwing up and the best way to get a guided tour is to think 'sure a little drink won't hurt.'

I for one am tired of discovering the new ways I can screw myself over. Each time you think 'wow that is the worst I will ever do.' You wonder how you will really come back from that. Yet for some reason you hop in for one more ride just to see what new and heart breaking dark country lane the 'this time will be different' train will drop you off in.

No more. Even though I already think I have nothing much left to loose I know it would find something to destroy.

So, until death does it end, the truth about rock bottom is there is ALWAYS the potential for a worse rock bottom. It will come along fast enough if you let pesky AV have it's wicked way.
Soooooo true.......can someone please fill a newbie in on what "AV" means?
Old 08-10-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by 1dayaddatime View Post
Soooooo true.......can someone please fill a newbie in on what "AV" means?
Addictive Voice. Google "addictive voice recognition technique"
Old 08-10-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Short version is it is that little voice that convinces you you can drink and it will be fine. I would go with the recommendation to read up on it further it can be very useful in being able to stop the cycle repeating. That awareness is a very powerful tool.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zjw

years ago while out of work I took a job at a gas station to try and make some money and honestly if i could provide for my family doing that for a living I totally would its one thing i've done that i enjoyed doing.

Anyhow one day I met a homeless guy. he had a great attitude very positive. came up to me and told me about his bike and his daughter and how he couldnt afford child support at the moment. and how so many people would say that he had hit rock bottom. He said this aint bottom with a smile. He said this aint nothing. i'll get through this and i could go through far worse this is nothing.

he was happy positive and in a great mood. It taught me that no matter how crappy your circumstances may be how you view them can really change everything. Sometimes its just a perpective we lack.

At the same time. I dunno that its good to happily drink your way into the abyss saying "i havent hit bottom yet!" but no matter how crummy things can be it aint anothing anyone can rise up from what they may consider the bottom. This guy taught me that lesson. I'll never forget that day and I never saw the guy again. and being down in the dumps my self at the time 2 kids and out of work it really lifted my spirits and made me realize my life aint so bad.

If only I can remember this all the time!.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Thanks for posting DitzyDandelion .. I really believe that - I "thought" I had a lot of rock bottoms . Only for that AV to tell me different , after I was sober for awhile .
After my Dr gave me a time limit to live " if I kept up drinking " , I may have been in death Or better yet to think if we stop for awhile , we are all healed up. To start again ?
Doggonecarl - Thanks , I've only been here about a month - I thought AV meant . Alcohol Voice . Makes more sense to me , cause why would that be talking if I'm sober . Ugg SMH
Sometimes I swear I've lived under a rock most of my life .
Old 08-10-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It took about 4 or 5 days last time before my brain really started racing again but this time it's hit my day 2. Perhaps it is cause it had a practice run at being itself again recently. Seem to have so many thoughts bouncing round my head today but did want to share that one as I think it's so important to always remember that for us drinking will always lead to a dark place and who knows what it could be next time.

On the flip side without it we can maybe find a wonderful place. It is not a hopeless post it is a thought of how much more COULD be stripped away if drinking returns. Of course without the drink all that positivity and possibilities demonstrated in zjw's post are something to hold onto.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great post. You have quite a point.
I never lost my job, never got a DUI, still have my partner, etc. I hit many rock bottoms though. I drove drunk, I worked drunk, I was a drunk in my relationship. So I was soon to lose all of those things.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi DD, I completely agree. Rock bottom is a term of perspective. I think there is a term called a high bottom, meaning someone who hasn't lost much (or anything) in their life to alcohol. But its a problem they want to address, and quit. The other end of the spectrum of course, is death, and everything in between.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Truth DitzyDandelion. Truth.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Really using my desire to never ever discover a new rock bottom to keep me afloat.