Notices

Illusion of excitement

Old 08-10-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Rio, we could be twins regarding out drinking behavior. I'm too old to tear up the bars, so I sat home and drank and would find something to do, and enjoyed it. Then I didn't. And by the time I didn't, I wasn't interested in any hobbies or anything. Its an adjustment, and if you are like most, you recognize when its happening. I don't have much sober time under my belt, but enough to recognize that I don't obsess over weekend drinking, and I do things like go run errands with my wife. Which is something I would never do while doing my weekend drinking.

Lastly, your title says it all. Its an illusion of excitement. Its not genuine.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this, Rio97, I can really relate.

My period of heaviest drinking, like a lot of people, was in college - but it wasn't usually at parties. I'd drink alone while watching TV or listening to music, 6 or 7 days a week, homework left undone. Looking back, it wasn't actually "fun" but it was easy and distracting and that's what I was after. And it may have been fun for my AV but that's not the same thing as fun for ME. That's something I constantly have to remind myself of.

Originally Posted by Rio97 View Post
I think another explanation is I just don't have as much interest in those things if I'm not drinking. It's amazing the hobbies and interests I've given up so I could just drink. Heck, for the longest time, a hobby just got in the way of my time to drink.

I look forward to maybe reconnecting with some of those old interests, or even pursuing some things I've never tried but always wanted to.
You're right - (re)discovering new hobbies and interests seems to be a big part of recovery. So far I've found it difficult and scary, and also really fun and exciting. Keep us updated on which interests you reconnect with or pursue!