Notices

A new thought

Old 08-09-2015, 02:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A new thought

Hey everyone hope you are all well!

This weekend was meant to be alcohol free..
I had 4 drinks.. Spose that's better then 12...
I'm slowly learning to live with very minimal then eventually none...

But have had a thought..
I have been doing a lot of research on alcohol and youth.
Me for instance came from a broken home and turned to the drink at 14 and have had an ongoing battle with it till this day (24).
We see these drug adds on tv how they can ruin your life but infact alcohol is just as bad!
I'd love to go around to schools and speak about how serious the effects can be..
Old 08-09-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure that you and people like you could be a big help to younger people Betterme

Right now tho...what more do you think you need to do to get those 4 drinks down to nothing?

D
Old 08-09-2015, 03:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks dee74,

It's my self control I have to work on really..
Slowly getting there I guess
Old 08-09-2015, 03:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Trying to gain more self control didn't really work for me - part of me really wanted to drink.

I had to find ways and means of short circuiting that part of me, ignoring it, and ceding control back to responsible me.

Support can really help there. I cannot over emphasise the importance of posting here before you drink

There are some good ideas on recovery plans here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D
Old 08-09-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Day 92. It took me having a medical scare to get this far.

I believe part of the reason I had the scare (vertigo attack) was because I was binge drinking and exercising. I was luke warm about quitting.

The main reason I got to that state was a lack of education about the effects of alcohol.

Agree, with both of you.

My plan is to never ever drink another drop of booze for the rest of my life. It is a toxin. After 91 days it is now a mental process. I have a broken off switch that can not be trusted.

Regarding education in schools. I agree 100%. The only information readily available is the 1 drink a day for women, 2 for men.

The paragraph should include that any more than this or binge activity has has has and will will will will result in alcohol dependency manifesting in anxiety issues, heart problems, high blood pressure, life ruining actions, etc etc etc.

Companies like Budweiser should be leading the charge.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

TRYING to Moderate and Control my drinking was just an exercise in what I thought was My Self naturally wanting a drink, and deserving a drink, which was, after all, My choice ... I thought ... and it was Me TRYING to moderate ME.

NOW ... alcohol is not important to me ... NO having to Control it, or Moderate my 'Supposed' Self. My NEW Self has been transformed beyond having the ADDICTIVE FLESH NATURE inherent in ME, convincing ME that it is MY CHOICE to drink, and that I NEED to drink, knowing that ADDICTIVE tendency in ME is actually doing its best to CONTROL the ME that is now FREE.

Weeeee ... Happy, Joyous and Freeeeee ... RDBplus3 ...
Old 08-09-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with D keep on trying to get it down to nothing
Old 08-09-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"I'd love to go around to schools and speak about how serious the effects can be.."
My favorite teacher/coach in high school had 2 sons. Both great athletes all the way through college. His older son worked for me 3 summers ago (he's is also a teacher/coach). Seven years ago his younger son was driving drunk and hit and killed 3 brothers. The brothers were aged 20, 18 and 16 and they returning from a church function (I believe). He was charged with vehicular manslaughter and plead guilty because he was. He sentenced to 6 years in prison. I believe he served around 4.5 years. Because he was a college athlete and role model, part of his probation was to speak to high school kids about the dangers of drunk driving. 2 months ago...he got a DUI. So SO sad. This is a good family, salt of the earth kind of people. The point being, alcohol ruins lives, and this is a first hand account.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's terrible Thomas!
Iv lost friends to accidents on the road and it's horrible

I wish alcohol had the warning labels on them like packets of smokes
Old 08-10-2015, 01:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

This is a great thread
Old 08-11-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So I have been doing my studying on alcohol and youth.. Surveyed 20 people with my own 9 questions I made up regarding alcohol and drugs.. In the middle of graphing everything up.
Quite interesting answers so far