Notices

Hello all...need advice plz...

Old 08-08-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello all...need advice plz...

Mine is the familiar case of someone with legit chronic pain who finds himself taking way more than prescribed.

I am a C7 quadriplegic 14 years post injury. I'm wheelchair bound but still have use of my hands tho limited. I suffer from chronic neck and shoulder pain ever since my accident.
i've been one one form or another of pain meds for these 14 years. Over the last couple of years I have been taking way more than I'm prescribed. I've been bed bound for the last year healing from a nasty pressure ulcer and related surgery. Since I began having issues my wife has been dispensing my pain meds. There are occasions where I'll have access and will stash several pills. My wife has caught me out a few times now and is fed up with me doing this and the violation of trust that goes with it.

I know I need help but am concerned. If I get help my record will get flagged. Spinal cord injuries such as mine are usually accompanied with various pain issues which often get worse over time. Basically in the future don't want to find myself in a situation where I'm in more severe pain with docs unwilling to prescribe due to a history of overuse/abuse.

My situation is unique in that I physically have zero access to anything beyond the script that my wife controls. The only way I can abuse them is by getting access to the bottle or when I'm not hurting too bad I'd stash a tablet shed give me to take along with my next dose. No doubt I have a problem but to maybe oversimplify it..if I can get them, I can't abuse them. Most people can go somewhere or call someone to score...I can't. Even if I could, I don't physically have access to cash and my wife oversees the finances anyways.

So how do I address this issue without getting blacklisted by my docs putting myself in a bad situ in the probable future event that I'm in more/new pain often associated with my condition?

Thx in advance for any insight/advice you can offer...
Old 08-08-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm a little confused.

If you are taking way more pills than prescribed, you must be running out of pills long before you can renew your prescription. If so, how are you managing pain during those times? I think the best thing is for you to talk to your dr and explain the situation.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Cuda,
Are you suffering psychic/emotional pain that compels you to try to abuse the meds? Do you have a counselor to talk to?
Old 08-08-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Cuda

I think dependence is a problem for a lot of long term users of pain relief drugs.

I'm not American but if I was you, I'd certainly speak to my pain management Dr to get you off the stuff you're on and look at what other options you have for pain relief.

D
Old 08-08-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi and Welcome,

I'm a little confused.

If you are taking way more pills than prescribed, you must be running out of pills long before you can renew your prescription. If so, how are you managing pain during those times? I think the best thing is for you to talk to your dr and explain the situation.
My doc prescribes enuff for around the clock relief...most of the time I sleep thru the night unless I'm having a flare-up so to speak.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i don't know what the daily pain management drugs are like...but i have a couple of sisters - one w/ ms & one severe back problems & they are struggling to get enough relief w/ the new healthcare bs...
Old 08-08-2015, 11:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upwardspiral View Post
Hi Cuda,
Are you suffering psychic/emotional pain that compels you to try to abuse the meds? Do you have a counselor to talk to?
In a way I do. As you can imagine, most paras/quads never fully come to terms with their disability...myself included. Most don't realize that its sooo much more than just not being able to walk...hell, thats the easy part (mostly). It's the boredom, isolation and depression that takes its toll mentally. Add to that the vast multitude of medical issues that come with severe spinal cord injuries and it can easily become overwhelming.
Making things worse it that I've been bed bound over a year now healing up from a nasty pressure ulcer on my backside...I can't even remember the last time I was in my chair doin my thing. Only another month until I'm healed.
Altho I have chronic pain issues, maybe the medication also serves as a crutch of sort. I find it very difficult, emotionally, to discuss what I'm going thru...even tho its been 14 years since my accident. If it wasn't for my wife, there's no telling where my head would be.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Cuda
Old 08-09-2015, 01:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Forgot to mention that I'm also dealing with some pretty bad neuro pain in my backside as well...a by product of my spinal injury. The meds help a little...just enuff to make it barely tolerable. I've actually had permission to start getting back in my chair but the pain in my backside is intolerable can causes whats called dysreflexia. This happens (to paras and quads) due to pain below the level of injury causing BP to sky rocket, profuse sweating and severe headache and carries a risk of stroke if not treated. I've had an episode in the past where my pressure hit 280/180 and the medic had to hit me with morphine to block the pain triggering it. Scary stuff...not only do I want to treat my pain, I have to.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't know much about pain meds but hopefully someone here will have experience. Welcome to SR! I'm glad you joined us.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That must be so hard for you.

Pain is such a complex human condition. I think there is some recent research that suggests adding a neurological medication can enhance the pain relieving mechanism of some pain meds.

I have no idea how it works exactly but it might be worth investigating.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Cuda!!