Notices

Guess What I Can Do...

Old 08-08-2015, 11:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
love is the answer

I can answer "not any more" when my doctor asks if I drink alcohol.

I relate to driving as well, although towards the end of my drinking career I drove to the store anyway.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I can answer the phone in the evening and not worry about slurred speech and also I don't wake up the next morning wondering what the heck I might have said!

Love this thread. Great to share and reflect on the positive changes :-)
Old 08-09-2015, 12:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

I can keep all my apts & i can make small changes in my life each day and watch a lot of small turn into a big amount of change whether its personal development/growth, DIY, New appliances, college, mtns, reading, diet im going to stop there as i could write a big list which started off with 'what i can do today' list

Excellent posts in this thread
Old 08-09-2015, 01:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Being able to open up my fridge and see lots of Yummy food to eat instead of booze ! Not having to worry that some one will show up without calling , and have the table full of empties .
I can make Dr 's appointments in the afternoon , other wise I always had them early . I didn't want to have a long day of waiting for that drink - or cancel . Because I knew I wouldn't make it that long ..
Old 08-09-2015, 01:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Today I read an entire book. I can't read, or concentrate, or remember what I've read if I drink. I love reading.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I no longer have to watch the clock to see when that store closes.

I still look at the clock at 7:05, 7:08 and think about how it just closed and I don't give a _________.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Originally Posted by fini View Post
so cool, eh, calico?

when my dog got a bone stuck around her lower jaw (looong ridiculous story), i could jump in the car and take her to the vet at 9 pm!
Fini - I relate to this so much. I have dogs too and you just never know when they need to go to the vet - and quite often it is in the dead of night. They also have an uncanny knack of knowing when I have saved money...time to get sick. I swear they have some kind of super vision into my bank balance.

CF
Old 08-09-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
I so relate.
Originally Posted by Alynn View Post
There was so much I wanted to do last week while visiting my hometown but I went on a binge an missed out. I HATE THAT. Never again
I know the feeling all too well. I had a friend over this weekend and we were discussing our past binges. She still drinks, but does not binge anymore - she can moderate (good for her). I did not drink with her and was not bothered that she was having some while in my company. We did all sorts of great things in the past two days. Walked our dogs along the beach, sunbathed, swimming, went out for lunch, went driving down country roads and ate ice cream. Watched beautiful sunsets. I did all the driving - she had a couple of drinks here and there.

I just keep playing the tape forward whenever an urge hits me. I also come here and read SR - read the many, unfortunate relapse threads. Anyone of those on here could be me. I never want another Day 1.

Keep trying Alynn - you never have to miss out again. The binges are not worth it.

CF
Old 08-10-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I get up and wonder what to do today rather than dreading the day. I do things like walk my dog in the morning now. I feel totally fine every morning. It's no longer a guessing game of just how terrible I will feel. In the end I felt terrible every single morning.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

My electronics (laptop, phone, ipad) are all in really good condition. I don't drop them, I don't lose them. I don't forget them under the blankets on the bed and roll over and bend or break them. I plug them in to charge before I go to bed. I no longer lose the chargers. I don't wake up to find I forgot to charge them. I don't spill things on them. I don't sit on them.

And my personal favorite: I don't leave them on the porch all night and discover them in the morning.

Oh, I keep thinking of more.

I don't lose my keys all the time, every day. I don't lose my wallet all the time. I have everything I need when I go to work. I went many days without something like my phone.

Quick story: Twice I gently set my laptop down right next to the bed on the floor before going to bed. When I got up I forgot I put it on the floor (because I was drunk when I put it there), stepped on it when I got out of bed, and CRUNCH, broke the screen.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

My elderly father fell a few weeks ago. I was able to answer the phone and drive to help him at 9PM.
Giving back to my dad for all the support he gave me. No drink can ever top that!
Old 08-10-2015, 09:04 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Calicofish View Post
Two days ago I need to get some money out of the bank to pay an handy man cover over in the morning to do a job. I kept o forgetting and it was getting late...hey - no problem. Jump in car and run to the bank and get money out of the bank.
I relate to that !
plus have the money to afford it now I'm not spending it all on alcohol
Old 08-10-2015, 09:16 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I don't have to go back to check my "sent" box to see what embarrassing email I might have sent while drinking!
Old 08-10-2015, 10:03 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I can stop funding the liquor store owner's retirement, and start funding mine.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:06 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this. This was one of the more feel good threads I've seen in a while.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I can hug anyone at any time without having to worry about them smelling beer or wine on me (even if it's from the previous night and Ive showered. I swear that stuff comes out your pores for days!)

So, hugs for everyone from me!!!
Old 08-10-2015, 11:09 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lynbee View Post
I don't have to go back to check my "sent" box to see what embarrassing email I might have sent while drinking!
And Facebook..........

Friends in Europe knew I was an alcoholic and they'd never actually seen me drink!